Everyone Read Please.

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

Ok, I think I have an idea for folks who play PBEM games to make sure they are playing with people with the full game, and not a copy.

Pick a page # from the manual, and ask them what say word #22 is ( or whatever)

This way, it reduces the chances of playing with some one who has abad copy.

Just a thought.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

If you like that idea, don't bother starting a PBEM with me. That kind of copy protection is about the most annoying thing I know, and I refuse to have anything to do with it.

------------------

"Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."

G4A I agree with you in principle, that copy protection scheme was massively annoying when it was commonly used to stop piracy. However, I think Manta's suggestion has some merit in THIS context. If you don't know who you're playing, there's no reason they can't take just a moment (it's PBEM after all) and look up a single word in the manual. And if it would help to prevent piracy of CM, I'm all for it.

Joe

------------------

Compliments appreciated, Questions answered, Death Threats reciprocated.

It's the principle, that's all. I just wouldn't feel comfortable playing a game where my opponent demands a pledge of allegiance before he can trust me.

------------------

"Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."

I like the idea but:

1)people that really enjoy the game will buy a copy...not rip it.

2)people that do use a ripped-version won't play PBEM since they obviously don't like the game enough to buy it.

3)What IF someone has a ripped version? Only punishment he gets s not being able to play with the people who ask these questions. They will always find another one.

Manta, i like your idea, but i think it doesn't wotk well. Ofcourse the tournaments held on sites could use your idea. That way no pirate can participate in these.

just my 2 shells

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Now that the idea has been found, it is up to everybody to do what they want to do!

I always play with people I know and trust, so it doesn't affect me, but otherwise, yes, I agree Manta.

Guest MantaRay

Well, I am glad most of you agree.I think each person will only have to ask once to a person. It is not like i will have to ask everybody though, as I do have a good idea of who has it by hanging around this board for the last 8 months. But if I do ask someone, and they refuse (Which is unreasonable to me to refuse) I just won't play them.

But if you step back and look at it, it does help to protect not only BTS, but you also.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

After much discussion on other threads i think we should do our own "play testing" for CM2 (in the interests of science of course smile.gif ) and round up all these copiers, stick them in a field, and see for ourselves the effect that a 105mm has on "soft targets".

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS- The Source For CM Ops & Scenarios

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>round up all these copiers, stick them in a field, and see for ourselves the effect that a 105mm has on "soft targets".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better idea, I just put together a really childish scenario with 8" arty, 240mm arty AND ... just in case anything survived ... 4 airstrikes ... Trust me, THAT'S what we want to use smile.gif GAWD that's impressive.

Joe

This would require some work from BTS but what about assigning all purchasers a customer number to which they associate their Forum name and Email address & ICQ num, Then we can verify the customer numbers/name against a data base or list. If something aint right dont play them

It may need some more thought to work it out as Im sure its not fool proof but it could potentially make it much tougher to get a game for losers that have bootleged this wink.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

id Software claims nobody has broken their key system, so it can be done if you have the resources.

I also vote strongly against manual-based verification. I hate systems that are not transparent to a legitimate user, and those manual look-ups were incredibly annoying. Was it Lucasarts that tried that stupid wheel thing? Never even seemed to align properly. Microprose tried the grog-friendly solution with M1 Tank Platoon 1, asking you to identify a vehicle silhouette. The kiddie pirates wouldn't know what a BTR-70 (or another NATO/Warsaw vehicle) looked like, but the grogs could usually get them right without looking them up. Regardless, all of these systems were annoying, and I was always looking for cracks to get rid of them.

To expand a little on what G4A wrote, these systems presume guilt on the part of the user, which I find insulting.

Supertanker, I completely agree with that, although I actually liked the M1 copy protection. smile.gif But what is this "key system" that id claim to use. Haven't all their games been cracked and pirated a 1000 times?

------------------

"Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you.

[This message has been edited by G4A (edited 06-25-2000).]

I, personally, would not mind if, at the beginning of every PBEM, my opponent asked me to parrot back a word from the manual. I put up with that kind of stuff for so long that I'm cool with it.

Well, not REALLY that long. My first PC was a Zenith 12.7MHz, and my first game was either M1 Tank Platoon or Action Stations. (seems some people here played Battleship on a Univac) I remember not fully comprehending "case-sensitive" when first playing Action Stations, so I got the manual verification wrong about 80% of the time. I called somebody at RAW, and this guy patiently explained "case-sensitive" to me. As I was about 11 or 12 I felt okay not knowing.

Anyway, basic point is I'd be okay with a "what's the word on page X" or "which of these silhouettes is a PzIV." But there'd have to be a way for legit customers to replace legitimately lost manuals (I lost the manual for XWing, and MAN did that suck. Took me 2 weeks to get my future brother-in-law to copy out all the symbol thingies and what they meant.)

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reddog:

Good idea with 1 little floor... the manual has been ripped as well. Its available for d/l as a.pdf file.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Reddog

Want to PBEM?

I tried your e-mail but it bounced, you can e-mail me at my e-mail in my profile.

-tom w