Finding/Buying/Building Tank Models

Hello everyone!!

From what I've gathered on this board, there are probably a lot of you who have purchased, and built aircraft/tank model kits at some point or another. Seeing as how this game has caused my interest in the vehicles, and weapons used in WW2 to rise dramatically, I was thinking model-building might be something I'd like to try. I was just wondering if any of you experienced builders out there could give me any idea of how hard it is to do (I'm guessing it's really hard, and detail oriented, but is it something I could pick up in time?). Also, where can I find reasonably priced/accurate model building kits? Is the internet a good place to start? Any input would be nice; it seems like a great part-time hobby to complement my love of Combat Mission!!

Thanks,

Jim

Yes,

I'm afflicted by modeller's syndrome!

Kits are relatively expensive now days, and more focussed to the adult market. On top of that there's the cost of consumables (ie paint, brushes, references).

You have two choices basically as far as scale is concerned 1/72, or 1/35 (I prefer the latter, 1/72 is 'toy scale' IMHO).

The main Manufacturers are Tamiya, Dragon, AFV Club, Italeri and Academy (for 1/35). There are also a lot of Eastern European manufacturers appearing.

To cut your teeth, start with a simple tank like a Jagdpanther!

One warning though, I never get time to model, I'm too busy playing CMBO!

Mace

btw - drop me a line if you like with any questions!

I haven't built any models since I was in high school, but I still have an interest. Building models is not difficult at all, but making them look really good can be a challenge. There are lots of books available that teach modelling techniques, but the best skills are learned by trial and error.

A good place to start would be at your local hobby shop. Most have a decent selection, although having visited one recently, I know the prices can be high. Going to a shop gives you a chance to see what kits are available and what accessories (paints, tools, etc.) you can get.

I would suggest that you start off with an inexpensive and relatively simple kit that you can cut your teeth on. Most of the models I built as a kid were destined to be blown up with firecrackers or shot at with my BB gun, so the first 100 or so gave me good practice at construction techniques. Eventually I wanted my models to look realistic so I became pretty skilled at painting, detailing, and weathering.

The internet is a good source for kits and supplies. Once you become familiar with what kits are available you might want to shop on E-Bay. There are always tons of kits for sale and you can often get a bargain.

http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/all/category1188/index.html

The above link is the plastic models section. You can choose what sub-category interests you.

I have never purchased anything from the following company, but they seem to have a very nice selection at reasonable prices:

http://www.phoenix-model.com/plastic-models.htm

If I were you, I would take a trip to my local hobby shop and ask a lot of questions. I am sure they will be happy to answer them.

Good luck and have fun.

Guest Rollstoy

The mod making activities around here actually made me buy a Revell 1:35 Jagdpanther! When it is finished, I want to take pictures from it and learn about shadows, surface brightness, etc.).

Let me say I do not regret it! It was some 15 years since I have built the last model and it was plain great to revive the memory. I noticed that I got a little bit clumsy and short-sighted over the years, but it is quickly coming back ... biggrin.gif!

Remark: Even the girlfriend liked it ("What, so many wheels?")

I am not sure, however, if it was advisable to buy a model with SEPARATE THREAD LINKS eek.gif.

Regards, Thomm

You may just have inspired me to finally get around to building a 1:35 scale tiger tank by Tamiya that i bought in a sale about a year ago for £9:99 (about $14 u.s.).It was one of those "good idea at the time" kind of things,even though I havent made a model for about 20 years!Like pvt Ryan says its not so much the building as making them look like tanks.Some websites i found mentioned things like "dry rubbing" and various other mysterious paint techniques,which was a little bit off putting as they never seem to tell you how these things are done!However the end results which had been posted looked superb,so you never know,i may just get around to building it.I kind of fancy having it sat on the shelf above my P.C. to inspire me during those "difficuilt" moments in CMBO.

How much time you want to expend and how complicated you want to get when building models is really up to you. You can build a decent vehicle or aircraft "out of the box," using the parts and the decals inside and paint and a regular brush. But if you insist on making it as realistic as possible, then you'll want to use an airbrush and buy "upgrade kits" that are like adding options to the base configuration of a new car. For example, if you build a Dauntless dive bomber you can buy upgraded dive flaps with the little holes drilled through. (The "out-of-the-box" kits only have circles on the flaps, and it's a real pain drilling through the circles yourself!)

Finally, I never buy kits at a store. I always buy through Squadron Mail Order. They have the latest kits from around the world, and some of them are substantially discounted. Squadron also sells upgrade kits, high-quality decals, paint, dry brushes, accessory tools, etc. Squadron Mail Order has an Internet site with all the info.

Good luck and have fun modelling!

Too weird. Just the other day I bought a 1/35th 4 man 6th Army Stalingrad figure kit and was going to ask here about recommended net resources on models, etc.

I haven't made a model in 17 years, and it's CM that's rekindled my interest in military models.

I'd also recommend that you start with a cheap model if you're out of practice and are going to do your own painting. The Stalingrad kit was $7.00(US) at my local hobby shop. I offer this advice based on my new experience in screwing models up...

It was fun making and painting though, even if the end result is less than stellar, and I'm heading back tomorrow for some more cheapo kits to practice on.

If you live in the US you should look for Francois Verlinden products.

The better modelling shops have stuff from him.

He wrote a series of magazines that explains all steps and all aspects of modelling.

Very usefull.

His products are expensive but worth the money.

I'm a modeler too,like you guys say it's pretty easy to build one;quite another to make look realistic.The Verlinden line of accesories are an excellent source of things like backpacks,ammocans,and all the little stuff that can make the differance between an average and excellent model. smile.gif

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

[This message has been edited by Splinty (edited 09-28-2000).]

Greetings,

http://www.buffnet.net/~tonym/models.htm

This is the address of Tony's Matteliano's scale model website, 3140 links to vendors,

clubs, magazins etc etc.

I have made a lot of aircraft, but since I play CM I try to make tanks too, jus bought a nice Tiger.

Try to contact your local IPMS club, they can help you further.

Regards,

Cyberfox http://home.wanadoo.nl/edwin.vos/cm/cm.htm

crepitis, dry brushing is a technique where you place some paint on the brush and wipe most of it off on a paper towel. Then you brush the raised surfaces of the model so that it leaves small traces of paint. It is usually done with shades of paint lighter than the base color. It creates highlights on the raised surfaces and makes them stand out. It is also used to make it appear as if the base coat of paint has worn off on areas such as grab handles and stepping areas (use a metallic color that simulates the material under the paint - aluminum, steel, etc.) It also is used to apply mud and dust.

Another technique is the wash, where you mix a slightly darker shade of paint than the base color and dilute it with thinner (if using enamels). You apply the wash with a brush to the recessed areas of the model to create shadows.

By combining these two techniques you can give your model a lot more depth than it would have if you just painted it all one color and applied the decals.

Dry rubbing... uh, that is something beyond the scope of scale modelling. smile.gif

And as scoop88 says, Squadron is an excellent source for kits and accessories. I bought most of my kits from them when I actively built models.

http://www.Squadron.com/

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 09-28-2000).]

I am a avid armor modeler and find it is a great break from my job. My suggestion if you want to get started on armor kits would be to build a Tamiya kit. They fit well and are detailed enough out of the box. Just build the kit following the instructions and paint guide. If you have fun and want to continue then you can start experimenting with camoflage and weathering and so forth. If you live near a hobby store, visit and talk with the people at the desk. I would also suggest picking up a copy of FineScale Modeler. It is a fairly good all around modeling mag.

Eric

thanks pvt ryan,I knew that dry brushing had something to do with that authentic "worn" look that i could see on models in the tamiya catalogue and on various modelling websites but no one actually explained what it actually entailed.Your explanation has managed to de-mystify(is that a word ?) the process and im going to try and learn a bit more about the technique.