Just recieved CM today should I download to version 1.05

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

I got Cm today tis a great day. Before I get into CM I was wondering is CM better with version 1.05 or 1.04 or should I leave as 1.03 have to be at school later and I want to get playing so suggestions please???????????

Also I have never downloaded a patch what is involved in this????

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 08-28-2000).]

Its easy and you should do it

download 1.05 It the only one you need

and you SHOULD really do it.

It works very well

good luck

enjoy!

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Remember that no dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Shatter50

Originally posted by The CM Borg:

Assimilated

NOT!!! My resistence is not futile I am a form of being never encountered by the puny borg I will crush Borg with my Nanite Tech.

Thanks guys for the reply

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 08-28-2000).]

You should definitely grab the latest patch (1.05). It not only makes a few improvements, but is also needed for you to be compatible with others in PBEM games... all players have to be using the same version.

Downloading a patch isn't too big a deal, but CM patches are slightly more involved. With a lot of games, you simply download a program that self-installs the updated files.

The CM patch contains compressed files that you have to extract and copy over yourself. Double-click on the patch file (CM105.exe I think it's called) to run the program.

You then pick a directory to extract the files to (a temporary directory is a good idea) and hit "finish". You then go to the directory you specified and copy those files to your CM directory. IIRC, there's only file you have to copy over if you're upgrading from 1.03 to 1.05... check the readme file to be sure.

Reading over the above it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is... don't worry

Guest Shatter50

Sorry Guys

Can any one give me a step by step on how and where to go to download patch 1.05. Cut me some slack I have only been in the computer world for a couple months. So if questions are stupid sorry, it is due to my lack of experience.

Guest Shatter50

Originally posted by sniperscope:

Once CM reached your hands nanites were introduced into your blood stream. Too late. You are one us now.

sniperscope.

Shatter here

That is what you Borg think. As I said before I am a being which you have never encountered so your puny Borg nanites have no effect on me. One might say I SHATTERED your puny nanites Ha Ha SHATTER LIVES ON To FIGHT ANOTHER DAY!!!!

Guest Shatter50

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Sppeking of patches, why does BTS use this system of aptching anyway? It seems like a bot if a hassle.

Hey don't knock it

With this system of patching CM is a never ending on going game unlike any before. Patches also fix any bugs in the previous versions.

Poor Shatter; once he starts to play CM he will become one of us. Don't fight the feeling. The collective welcomes you. There is nothing on your tech tree that can help you fight the feeling. New scenarios, mods,operations,patches plus a daily big ass update from that mad guy. Don't fight the feeling and join the collective.

sniperscope

Jeff isn't complaining about CM being patched, but in the way the patch program works. They're usually pretty simple one-click programs that do all the work for you. As I noted above CM patches require you to extract the files and copy them yourself.

It's really not hard to do, but may be confusing for a computer newbie as yourself. I just tried making a step-by-step explanation to enter here for you but I can't do it without it sounding too complicated... I guess technical writers must have some talent after all smile.gif

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Ive been on the Pc for years and never saw the way this patch works..If you click on the Patch program after you downloaded it a program pops up (sort of like Winzip).There you can unzip it to whatever folder u like.I keep the Patches in the CM folder for future reference.From there all you need to do is remove the original CM.exe file (I would Shift/drag it somewehere safe,in case u Mess up something).Open up explorer,or multiple windows and SHIFT/Drag the New patch into the CM folder.That should do it.If it works you can delete the old .exe file.I hope I explained this correctly.I was stupid enough to accidently download the MAC patch,and that surely didn't work very well smile.gif

OK, here's my attempt at a simple explanation, for a Windows PC anyway.

1. Go to this page:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/index.html

And click on "Windows" in the line that reads "Download the 1.05 patch here"

2. A window should pop up, asking if and where you want to save "cm105.exe" on your hard drive. I download any files like this to a directory I call "c:\temp" or "c:\dloads". Just make a note of where the patch is saved to.

3. Once the patch is downloaded, use windows explorer to open the location the patch was saved to... you should see a file called "cm105.exe". Doubleclick this file.

4. A new window will pop up... this is the program used to extract, or unpack the files contained in the patch. As I noted above, this step is usually automatic, but you'll have to do it yourself. Somewhere in this window you can choose where you want the files to be extracted to. I'd put them in the same directory you saved cm105.exe. Once you've picked a location, click "finish", and the files will be extracted.

5. Using windows explorer again, open the location the files were extracted to. There should now be a new directory. I don't recall what the default name is but it's something obvious ("1.05 patch" or something). Open up that directory.

6. You should now see a few files and a directory. One of the files should be called "readme". Doubleclick it to get detailed instructions on what to do. IIRC, all you have to do is copy one file over to where CM is installed.

I truly hope this helps. I don't think I could have explained this any clearer, though I realize it may sound confusing to you.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Ha, you puny PC users, whining about how difficult it is to install the patch!

Get a Mac! Select the icon for the new version, move it to the old CM folder, and it replaces the old version. Voila! Done!

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

I guess this shatter guy has no clue about the patented Mind Control Algorythyms â„¢ in the CMBO source code

they can't be altered and no one has yet to over come them.

Just play the game and see for yourself.

He has been assimlated he just doesn't know it yet

he only thinks he is not assimilated.

Don't worry shatter, its painless :)

-tom w

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Buckeye:

Ha, you puny PC users, whining about how difficult it is to install the patch!

Everytime I use this site as a source of info which is not often. Some windbag has to speak their piece. The only reason these people insult people like myself is because they know they will never see me face to face.

Sorry for my stupidity I do not spend hours a day on the computers as I am sure some of you. I spend it more productivly at college ITT and in martial arts class anyone has a problem or wants to call me stupid I can list my Address and these members can come to my house and I will solve their little problem of no manners and respect.

Sorry to editors if this gets out of hand

Guest MajorH

>why does BTS use this system of patching anyway?

>It seems like a lot if a hassle.

It is easier , faster, and has less bug potential than doing an automated patch installer.

I am not speaking for Battlefront but ...

There is nothing simple about creating, scripting, and testing an automated patch installer that will work reliably for all flavors of Windows and that can cope with the many unusual things that some users choose to do to their systems.

Given the choice between spending an unpleasant week developing and testing an automated patch installer or spending a half hour uploading a simple zip file with text instructions - I am going to go for the zip file every time smile.gif.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 08-28-2000).]

Hey Shatter: I wasn't ragging on you, but on all those sorry PC users out there who have to go through contortions to make a simple patch work! Just so you know: CM is programmed on a Mac.

And hnh3_cm: I didn't use smilies because I was worried Mr. Peng might be watching. wink.gif

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>He has been assimlated he just doesn't know it yet he only thinks he is not assimilated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I share my secret with you. I see assimulated people. All the time. (Breathing mist as I spell the words)

biggrin.gif

I have both a number of PCs and Mac. Under the CM, the patch work on both sides are pretty much the same.

I am proud I have all the readme files (orginial and 1.03 - 1.05) in my CM directory/folder.

Griffin @ work -- place

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Shatter50

Originally posted by Daveman:

OK, here's my attempt at a simple explanation, for a Windows PC anyway.

1. Go to this page:

"Download the 1.05 patch here"

2. A window should pop up, asking if and where you want to save "cm105.exe" on your hard drive. I download any files like this to a directory I call "c:\temp" or "c:\dloads". Just make a note of where the patch is saved to.

3. Once the patch is downloaded, use windows explorer to open the location the patch was saved to... you should see a file called "cm105.exe". Doubleclick this file.

4. A new window will pop up... this is the program used to extract, or unpack the files contained in the patch. As I noted above, this step is usually automatic, but you'll have to do it yourself. Somewhere in this window you can choose where you want the files to be extracted to. I'd put them in the same directory you saved cm105.exe. Once you've picked a location, click "finish", and the files will be extracted.

5. Using windows explorer again, open the location the files were extracted to. There should now be a new directory. I don't recall what the default name is but it's something obvious ("1.05 patch" or something). Open up that directory.

6. You should now see a few files and a directory. One of the files should be called "readme". Doubleclick it to get detailed instructions on what to do. IIRC, all you have to do is copy one file over to where CM is installed.

I truly hope this helps. I don't think I could have explained this any clearer, though I realize it may sound confusing to you.

Thanks guys I got the patch to work. It was actually very simple sorry for the hassel.