New concept in Wargaming!

****Hey guys! Theres a game you need to try...its called Close Combat. It smokes CM like a cheap cigar. You see, its REAL TIME. Everything happens all at once. No turns. Can you believe it? And the squads have more than 3 men! Also, its been modded to hell and back, so there's a CC for everone's taste...from flashbanging Super JSIIIs and Rambo soldiers to accurate depictions of Vietnam, European Western Front and the 1940 campaign. Get with the NEW WAY of wargames! REAL TIME gaming wasnt possible before computers; thats why we had TURNs in games. Now that REAL TIME IS possible...why make a Turn-based (Or semi-turn based or whatever you guys call it here) game? Thats a step backwards.

Bring on the flames, you frappin 3-D Turn Basers. Tell me how much "better and more realistic" your CM is. I need a good laugh.

Duh! You're right! I'm such an idiot for enjoyin' the hell out CM. I am so dumb.

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

COULD... NOT... RESIST... FEEDING... TROLL...

------------------

V

ozo

------------------

The who with the what now? ......Where's my medication?!

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 06-16-2000).]

By golly you're absolutely right, where the hell was my head? Steve, cancel my order, Matt, pull my name off this board, Fionn, have me shot at dawn and again at sunset.

I'm going RTS from now on, no more turn based for me, no siree, I've seen the error of my ways. That there Sabot fella, he's one smooth talking guy, charm the birds off the trees he could. smile.gif

Glad you found your way over here Sabot, I played the hell out of SMG, which was, of course, RTS. And while I was never very good at any of the CC series I bought CC1 and CC2. While you're here, have a look around, check out some of the posts. You might even DL the demo. smile.gif

Joe

------------------

"I don't want them brave, I want them dead!"

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Guest Scott Clinton

If anyone has read the forum this lame troll comes from they will see that you could add up the entire thread and not get anything near as baiting or confrontational as what he just posted.

This person is seriously lacking in maturity, let it pass.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Sabot,

You forgot to mention that CC has a wonderful vertical perspective of a battlefield. Where as us, stuck in the old fashioned ways that we are, have to put up with olde 3D graphics. Not good eh

Our tanks also lack the ability to run in stealth mode, clever that, no engine noises, I wish BTS thought of that.

I wish our troops where the same size as the tanks aswell.

This is Combat Mission1, you suckers have had five attempts and they just keep getting worse!

Come on if you think you're hard enough!

Guest KwazyDog

Lol, you guys wanna know what the funniest thing it smile.gif ?

I honestly had to read his post twice before I realised he was actually being serious and not having a sarcastic snipe at the close combat series smile.gif

Oh, what a sharp wit you have there sabot. The CC series of games are indeed fun if you arent into realism as such. I played them for some time and the gave me a lot of enjoyment until I came across CM.....

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 06-16-2000).]

Guest MantaRay

LOL, KWAZY...I thought it was in jest also for a few seconds. Funny thing is that I liked CC3 for fun factor, but it is not a game that covers war in any detail.

And you know it isnt a wargame when Sudden Strike wants to be compared to it. And we all know how realistic it is to have "Rocket Tanks" in 1945.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I downloaded the CC4 demo. I'm not against real time if it's done well. The battlefield view was only overhead. There's no ground level perspective, where your guys are. The tanks have alot of trouble following waypoints. There's alot of hesitation. I'm spoiled by the silky smooth movements in CM.

The three man symbol in CM is just a symbol. Select a squad and hit enter to see the exact number of men.

I welcome honest comparision but guy, CM is now shipping. You're huffing and puffing at CM's demo. Perhaps you'll be in a better position to bash CM when the game is reviewed, and that won't be long.

Also, I wonder if he had the Beta demo. I tried it, and wasn't too impressed as well, just a lot of niggling things that pestered me, nothing serious though. BUT! BUT! The Gold demo ABSOLUTELY BLEW MY STINKING socks off. (BTW, my socks don't actually stink, and if they do, you'll never know.)

El Jeffe

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to continue....

Unreal.

I can't believe people here swallow this kind of stinky, rancid bait from a lousy troll like this.

Well, ok, I expect Manieri to, but the rest of you? Come on.

BTW - Manieri, making lame threats over a message board impresses no one. Especially the troll. It just makes him laugh.

Guest KwazyDog

Manta, me too to be honest. wink.gif

I played CC2 to death and CC3 with the real red mod quite a bit too, mainly becuase there was nothing else out there I thought better. Unfortunately I didnt know about the PiTs series or I probably would have been more into themm too. For me realism is number 1 in a game, which is why CM initially got me so interested smile.gif

Hehe, for that matter I even wrote the CC3 map editor which I believe is still being used for CC4 smile.gif

Guest grunto

dude it's all a matter of taste. for my taste the behavior of the units in combat mission models real life more realistically so this is why i play it. i prefer turn-based too but something modelled on a chess clock would be the most realistic cm immersion in my opinion... like 1 minute of order time for each platoon you have.

anyway some of the moves and behavior in close combat are flat-out unrealistic in my estimation. i'll tell you what though.

for me close combat 3 (i have no idea why 2 was so popular) with realred was a helluva (pardon my french) game but it has a major shortcoming: 15 units.

perhaps you're a young buck overhyped on aspartame and hormones. understand that a lot of us cm players are more middle-aged and up... we grew up on turn-based... this is where a bunch of old-time squad leader (for that matter avalon hill and spi and the like) fanatics from the 70s and 80s are hooking up online for the first time.... i mean we've got to be about 5-10% of the posters here i would imagine.

so take your close combat and always try to get their firstest and the mostest. close combat is a great game tcp/ip... but for my tastes combat mission 'feels' more realistic even though it's turn-based.

dude even if you never played a lick of combat mission you could learn about tactics useful in close combat from some of the people here.

why don't you give combat mission a shot? i know i bought close combat 1 through 3. i said then that close combat was the best. i say now that combat mission has taken the trophy, perhaps purely on the basis of the number of available units in a given scenario. also the boards in combat mission are much larger than the ones in close combat are they not?

i still have a sense that no matter what you do to the data files in close combat, the internal engine is far more flawed than the one in combat mission. the ai in combat mission is surprisingly good at times, much more so than the ai in close combat.

andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sabot:

troll bait<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm...Ok i'm an unbiased person, cuz i don't play wargames until now. I heard good things about close combat, but upon trying it it blew. I even bought the CC4, and brought it back in 3 days. I played the demo of CM, instantly hooked. I think that CM will be much more tactics heavy cuz you have time to think up stuff. I think this game is more technical and would please a hardcore gamer. yet it's also turn based which can please ppl who are busy a lot. I don't see any valid points as to way close combat is better. I see fanboys, that's about it. I just look at it like this: CM i liked, CC i hated. I tried both games unbiased so i'm not being a fanboy. Sorry for feeding the trolls, but i hate fanboys. These guys are almost as stubborn as the daikatana fans. Me: Hey guys the average score of daikatana is 3\10. DK Fans: Don't matter, they're just jumpin on the bandwagon. Sometimes ppl just gotta stop being devoted, and play what's better. If you guys want to keep your marriage with CC goin, fine. It's a shame that some of the fanboys from here flamed the CC forums. I wish ppl would understand that trolls aren't welcome anywhere. =)

-KOP

Kwazydog - Yep, CC3MM is still in use today. I have made 11 maps with it smile.gif Thanks for the tool!

Now on to CM... I downloaded the beta CM demo when it first came out. I was impressed with the game, it's graphics, and its 3d'ness. I played it a few times, but I hated the turn based combat system. frown.gif I just simply don't like it as much as the CC system, but that is just my opinion.

I downloaded the new demo yesterday (In the hope that maybe I would like it better). I have played each of the demo scenario's two times, (One as each side) but I still don't like the game. Can you people tell me whether the demo is or is not representative of the game? Thanks in advance...

Also, what is it that you like about combat mission that makes it a better game to you than CC. Whatever this is, I have not found it yet but I would be interested to know what to look for... And yes, I have read all the stuff on this site about it...

Finally, How editable is CM? I can tell from the demo that the graphics are very easily edited Bitmap files... But what about the data? How feasible is it to make a Pacific mod, Vietnam mod, etc... like has been done for the CC series? I couldn't find any seperate data files in the CM demo, so I looked through the EXE a bit and I think that may be where the data is stored... I found the soldiers names and a bit of other stuff... Is this correct?

Thanks

NL_Oxcart (A hooked CC player who is nonetheless willing to give CM a nice big juicy chance)

Manieri: what do you mean you were kidding? That looked a perfectly reasobale plan to follow!

Anyway: I played the Beta of CC4 and it is not really that great. especially the look and feel and the gamish treatment of all moves/command.

When CM Gold came out I failed to download it because I though: YAAWNN CC4 got Gold. I could not care less!!!

Then I realized CC4 was not matching letters with Comabt Missions and the screenshots were: WOW nothing from CC series one could ever imagine.

I am glad I downloaded the Gold and now ordered the game. Just glad. If they'd shut down at CC# I would not even realize it wink.gif