Air support, what's it like?

Don't mean to hog the boards but...

How is air support depicted in the game? Is there an actual, visible aircraft? I was supposed to get air support in the "First Clash at Caen" scenario, but as far as I could tell it never showed up (I realize this is perfectly realistic!)

Could someone clarify?

Thanks!

Calvin

You'll hear the aircraft, hear and see the bombs whistling down and exploding, hear and see the a/c MGs going nuts, etc.

No planes per se, but you will see the a/c shadow as it streaks across the ground. Very well done, IMHO. Kind of scary, really.

Preacher

I just barely got done watching my 1st close air support in a scenario. 500 lb bombs make a really BIG impression. No real plane graphics, but I saw the shadow just as Preacher said, and again as the plane came around for a strafe. The important thing for me was how the impact "shook out" some enemy units for me to immolate. Never seen THAT in a game before.

I saw the shadow pass by. Could be my imagination, but I could of sworn it had the wings of a Spitfire. It blew up one of my trucks (which had been parked under some trees). My anti aircraft gun (a real neat quad 20mm) went nuts, you could see it swivel and shoot tracers all over the place,

a red line extended from the gun up beyond the top of the viewable portion of the computer.

Must not of hit the damn thing, it came back and killed two of my troops who were sitting in a foxhole (smoking and joking), this time I heard the machine guns of the plane.

Again, the quad 20mm went wild, had to replay that a few times.

The Spit did not come back, but the after action did not report any downed planes. I guess he got home. Damn.

------------------

"The Legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace."

Hmmm pilots in CM can relax. I created a test-scenario with 8 FlaKPz IV/20 and additional air support for the enemy just so I could see how downed planes looked like in CM. I think it took 4 passes for the aircraft’s to completely eliminate my platoon of Wirbelwinds! I thought I had enough firepower to at least bring down one plane, but nooo frown.gif(

[This message has been edited by Hilmer (edited 07-24-2000).]

The problem I have with the Air Support is that it is not loud enough. The aircraft sounds are very faint (the aircraft engine sounds should be loud because there is no terrain up there to absorb the sounds). Also you can never tell when an A/C has been shot down. The message that tells you is usually too vertical and out of sight to read.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

The problem I have with the Air Support is that it is not loud enough. The aircraft sounds are very faint (the aircraft engine sounds should be loud because there is no terrain up there to absorb the sounds). Also you can never tell when an A/C has been shot down. The message that tells you is usually too vertical and out of sight to read.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's not too bad. It can really scare the cr*p out of you if you're not expecting it (especially on the lower view levels). Go to an airshow and see how loud a P-51 is coming in over the treetops. Pretty quiet until it's too late to do anything about it! eek.gif

Do the AA crews say anything to proclaim a victory (like the tank crews' "Ja!")?

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hilmer:

Hmmm pilots in CM can relax. I created a test-scenario with 8 FlaKPz IV/20 and additional air support for the enemy just so I could see how downed planes looked like in CM. I think it took 4 passes for the aircraft’s to completely eliminate my platoon of Wirbelwinds! I thought I had enough firepower to at least bring down one plane, but nooo frown.gif(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard others complaining about this too... maybe something will happen in the new patch.