OT: U.S. Army to wear black berets

CNN Story: U.S. Army to wear black berets

October 17, 2000

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A black beret will become the standard headgear of the U.S. Army starting next year, replacing traditional green hats, the Army chief of staff announced Tuesday.

Gen. Eric Shinseki said the new headgear, to be introduced in June next year, would be a symbol of the Army's transformation into a new, lighter, more nimble force for the 21st century.

"It will be a symbol of unity, a symbol of Army excellence, a symbol of our values," he told the annual convention of the Association of the United States Army, a professional support group.

Shinseki said special operations and airborne units would retain their own distinctive berets, green for special forces and maroon for paratroopers.

U.S. Army rangers, trained to operate behind enemy lines, adopted the black beret in the 1980s.

Currently the standard government issue is an Army-green cap which folds flat and is dubbed an "envelope" cap by troops.

------------------

I said ... Put the bunny down!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll be damned!

I never thought this would happen. FYI, black berets were the headgear for armor forces long before they were the headgear for the Rangers. That all changed for the US Army in the 70's for various reasons. In other armies, the black beret is still traditionally the armor headgear.

In any event, the good news is the headgear is back the way it should be smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

Well I'll be damned!

I never thought this would happen. FYI, black berets were the headgear for armor forces long before they were the headgear for the Rangers. That all changed for the US Army in the 70's for various reasons. In other armies, the black beret is still traditionally the armor headgear.

In any event, the good news is the headgear is back the way it should be smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Appears to only be Class A wear anyways... frown.gif

"Currently the standard government issue is an Army-green cap which folds flat and is dubbed an "envelope" cap by troops."

LOL... "envelope" cap??? LOL! have you ever heard a troop call it that? A "punt", insert a C for P of course, perhaps but not no friggin envelope.

Cav

------------------

"Maneuverists have a bad case of what may be called, to borrow from a sister social science, 'Wehrmact penis envy.'"--D. Bolger

Co-Chairman of the CM Jihad Brigade

"AS far as Steve and BTS (mostly Steve) are concerned, you are either a CM die-hard supporter, or you are dirt. If you question the game, implementation, or data models they used, you are some kind of neo-Nazi wanna-be, and become an open target for CavScout, SlippySlapDragon, and all the other sycophants who hang on Steves every word."-- Jeff Heidman [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

I'll bet some journalist at CNN took a look at one of the old caps, thought "Hey, it folds up like an envelope!", and then started imagining soldiers prancing around, remarking "Gosh, Charles, I am so exquisitely delighted to be casting off those beastly envelope caps!".

button.gif

------------------

Guderian's anger was monumental. He struggled for words. "To say that the troops are to blame – look at the casualties!" he raged. "Look at the losses! The troops did their duty! Their self-sacrifice proves it!" Hitler yelled back. "They failed!" he raged. "They failed."

I think the Rangers will be furious at the rest of the Army,I was stationed with many Ranger types and even Airborne soldiers were "slugs" in their view.They were very proud of their distinctive headgear as they were of being Rangers. BTW noone calls garrison caps,envelope caps,the usual term rhymes with bunt. smile.gif

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

Its all part of the New World order military units world wide new look.

Quite obvious really how they are slowly changing things.

They are slowly removing items on the uniform to make people get used to the non US look. Also the US flags patches were not worn on US units operating in the gulf war.

Same goes for a number of aircraft and there colours / markings.

Heaps of US aircraft no longer have US AIRFORCE on them. Alot of them are going black too. The markings are being lost so to speak in history.

If u dont believe me, thats ok, but watch these things and u will one day see what i mean. Its a bit odd really that one would do this to there airforce.

What the hell does this mean?

"It will be a symbol of unity, a symbol of Army excellence, a symbol of our values," he told the annual convention of the Association of the United States Army, a professional support group".

Notice he says Unity. Unity of what?

Aha unity of all Armies worldwide i reckon.

How does the black cap make it a symbol of US national unity. Unity for all military units? Hmm well how would u feal if u were Delta Force wearing a black cap and then some regualr guy can waer one too. Hmm to me makes the whole army "one" so to speak equal with one another.. that could be what they mean also by unity.

Who knows.

But just giving u an example to look at where news given can actually have deeper meaning.

On the subject of CNN news, at CNN according to CNN themselves there are 7-15 Pyschological Warfare officers who work there, permanently so to speak. Umm what the hell for?

Do they restrict what u watch? What are they doing.

I know of media being used to control people in the past but to be doing it know would insane really, but i reckon they prob are up to no good.

What a silly bunt.

This is stupid. "Distinctive" or not, the beret is a worthless piece of headgear. All it does is cook your scalp. Hooah.

Why do the Chiefs always do this crap? That Air Force guy froma few years ago made the Air Force adopt Star Trek sleeve ranks on their new "United Airlines Pilot" single breasted suits.

Oh, well. When do we get a new chief?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

I think the Rangers will be furious at the rest of the Army,I was stationed with many Ranger types and even Airborne soldiers were "slugs" in their view.They were very proud of their distinctive headgear as they were of being Rangers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does a black beret effect them?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STRAKER:

Its all part of the New World order military units world wide new look.

Quite obvious really how they are slowly changing things.

They are slowly removing items on the uniform to make people get used to the non US look. Also the US flags patches were not worn on US units operating in the gulf war.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, we don't wear US Flags on our uniforms in most circumstances. Never have. Wearing the Red, White and Blue is not very tactical.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General Panic:

White hats are too easy to shoot at...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the Legion Etrangere de Francais would prolly agree with you.

You sure they mean everybody? When I was in, the black beret was optional head-gear for female soldiers only...

Guest MantaRay

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

I think the Rangers will be furious at the rest of the Army,I was stationed with many Ranger types and even Airborne soldiers were "slugs" in their view.They were very proud of their distinctive headgear as they were of being Rangers. BTW noone calls garrison caps,envelope caps,the usual term rhymes with bunt. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do we view them as slugs? Most of us came from AB. And a cover doesnt make a Ranger, the Darby Queen does, and the ones that dont make it are fed to Big John.

Ray

"I think the Rangers will be furious at the rest of the Army,I was stationed with many Ranger types and even Airborne soldiers were "slugs" in their view."

Too a Marine, all army are slugs. AB and Rangers are just better trained slugs. smile.gif

Semper Fi and BTW Marines don't wear berets

All the pvts and corp. should wear black pants, black shirts (all tight lycra type) with this red trim over the sholders, and this big gold button on their chest, yeah yeah.

And the officers should have like..Gold, or Blue, or different colours for the corps! yeah!

(anyone else think even a ww2 squad could own any starfleet away team?)

PeterNZ

Well thankfully in the Australian army we have those very distinctive slouch hats which I personally think look great. They stand out, can provide a bit of shade (if only to one side of the face) and any soldier wearing them is instantly recognised as being an Aussie & not some homogenous could be any countries soldiers (if wearing a black beret).

Of course I'm not biased or anything! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Actually, the JCS borrowed Goebbels to teach the military how to intimidate, since we are rapidly approaching the point where we have an army that can't fight, and wouldn't if we could. I don't care, give em black berets, blue berets, beanie caps with propellers, do they know how to use their weapons? and will they?

(Pzvg is nervous about the direction America has taken,read your history on the Roman Empire to know why)

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Well thankfully in the Australian army we have those very distinctive slouch hats which I personally think look great. They stand out, can provide a bit of shade (if only to one side of the face) and any soldier wearing them is instantly recognised as being an Aussie & not some homogenous could be any countries soldiers (if wearing a black beret).

Of course I'm not biased or anything! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the cutest postcard with a kangaroo wearing one of those darling little hats!!! He's drinking a Fosters and saying "G'day, mate!" It's adorable!

biggrin.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.