Has anyone played the new B-17?

Yep...i bought it a few days before Xmas in the UK. Looks good but plays like a dog. I have yet to complete a mission without the bloody thing crashing. The game has some serious problems which i beleive are currently being looked at by the developers. A patch is expected to be released soon.

A few reference sites

www.bombs-away.net

www.b17flyingfortress.com/b17.html

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I just bought B17-2 and, although it is a good sim, it is obvious that it was rushed to sale for Christmas.

It is full of bugs and slow even on big systems.

My advice : wait for a patch to be released and listen to players' comments. Then you'll now if it's worth the price. Right now, it is not.

Hope it helps,

Magnus

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

Read the review at Combatsim.com. Then click on the link at the end of the review that asks you to comment on the review. That will take you to a discussion board where Judge, the ever thoughtful and well spoken one, gives a thorough and detailed rebuttal about how disappointing the game is in each of the key areas.

Very worthwhile reading. I won't be buying this one until I read it is fixed.

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

Been playing it as well. A few crahes. nothing serious. It is buggy, it is gorgeous, it is frustrating, and it becomes rather rep..., repetetet, repeti, it get's kinda boring, kinda quick.

All in all it has potential. had I known what I know now, I'd have kept my money and played CM some more. smile.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

I've also played B-17 II without encountering the bugs and crashes others have experienced. It's a nice game, very atmospheric, but it gets old fast. There's just not much variety. After you've handled the gun turrets a few times and dropped a few bombs, that's pretty much it. The rest of the "action," like feathering the engines when they're hit, just doesn't add much replay value.

CM is just as atmospheric and realistic. And a lot more fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eba:

The rest of the "action," like feathering the engines when they're hit, just doesn't add much replay value.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially when you know it makes no difference at all if you feather them or not! Because the game does not model the drawbacks/penalties, whatever you call them, for not feathering them! Hell, I've flown to Europe and back over 30 times without me, or any other autopilot EVER feathering an engine to no adverse effect!

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

It sounds to me like B-17 is another piece of Hasbro crap and that this company should not be supported by people buying their products.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Great game! More like an RPG/management game than a flight sim, I think. You don't actually ever have to fly the plane, if you don't want to. It is a little buggy, but after all it does have the HASBLO seal of disapproval on it. Most crash problems come from changing crew positions with the hotkeys rather than the mouse menus. I haven't had a crash since I stopped using the hot keys. The game reminds me of the old Avalon Hill board game B-17 Queen of the Skies.