BTS in British MG jihad!!

Well, first we hear the Besa has been 'abstracted'...

(A Couple Of Questions On Vehicle Mounted MGs)

And now it turns out the Bren Carrier... isn't!

Here's a Bren:

bren.jpg

And here's a Bren Carrier:

carrier1.jpg

carrier2.jpg

carrier3.jpg

It's not a Bren, so what is it?

Here's a Japanese Type 96:

type96.jpg

Or even better, a Type 99 (notice the straighter carry handle):

type99.jpg

It's a Type 99 Carrier! Maybe this means BTS are eager to do CM: Beyond Midway after all! (beyond mid-way... joke... oh never mind)

Actually, it looks more like Steve was a bit too full of the festive spirit (or the festive spirits, such as brandy) when he did the model (Update on model progress). I demand an explanation!!

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's a Type 99 Carrier! Maybe this means BTS are eager to do CM: Beyond Midway after all!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good eye. This is excellent news for those of us anxiously awaiting a PTO/CBI version smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Xavier wrote:

> Is it so important ?

Party pooper!!

Notice I didn't insist BTS model the Bren properly, I just thought I'd point out the error.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

excellent catch Mr Aitken.

on a side note, the Type 96 and Type 99 (I hope it's at least a 99, the 96 was some serious POS!*g*) are probably the only machine guns that would fix a bayonet, who else but the japanese would think of that *g*, and what a monster king-sized bayonet at that!

Xavier: it might not be important to you if you're not into small arms. if you were, it would like, uhm, having an M48 pose for a Pershing, or a Somua S35 for a Panther or a Churchill for a Königstiger, or something to that effect.

Surely even you would object to that, even though it's "just a graphical representation" that would not harm the game engine.

Otherwise, if you still don't agree, well, have you seen Sudden Strike? Red Alert? If I were of your attitude, I would make sure to check those out. I'm sure you'ld like em.

------------------

"Hehe nah u have some valid points mate but umm well be a bit nicer." (GAZ_NZ)

Yes, I am with Bullethead. This must mean that BTS will be coming out with CM5 - The Rising Sun!!! I can hardly wait - Banzai Charges, Tank Hunter heroes with Demos strapped to their bodies, and Leaders wielding Samauri Swords instead of just pointing the way. We would also have to introduce the Rice Paddy terrain tile smile.gif

Ben Galanti wrote:

> why is the M1917 displayed as a Vickers...

At least they got the side right.

David

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... whoops smile.gif Er... we were a bit rushed towards the end I guess. However, in my defense I must point out that it took how many months for this to be spotted? redface.gif

At least it was spotted by a Brit wink.gif

Steve

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

...I must point out that it took how many months for this to be spotted? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice, Steve. Got any other Easter eggs lying around for the grogs?

Michael

Guest Big Time Software

Ben, the Vickers Mk1 (standard heavy MG for the Commonwealth forces) was in fact nothing more than a spruced up Maxim. Hence why it looks like one smile.gif The pic I used for it was in fact a Vickers Mk1.

I just figured out where I messed up on the Bren. I converted a Type 99 to look more like a Bren, since I didn't have a Bren shot worth using. However... when I looked at a picture of a Bren to see how I should modify it I made the mistake of looking at a Vickers Mk3 LMG instead, which sorta looks like a cross between the two. So what you see is more like a cross between a Vickers Mk3 and a Type 99. Ooops! Like I said, we were kinda rushed towards the end there...

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Like I said, we were kinda rushed towards the end there...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure there are many folks within reach here both willing and able to make more 3D models for you. Like the hull for the M36B1, or an actual 90mm AA gun instead of the scaled-up 40mm? wink.gif Or maybe the flat-faced, wavy-topped gunshield for the 6pdr and 57mm? So why not let some of these folks make some models for you?

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

excellent catch Mr Aitken.

on a side note, the Type 96 and Type 99 (I hope it's at least a 99, the 96 was some serious POS!*g*) are probably the only machine guns that would fix a bayonet, who else but the japanese would think of that *g*, and what a monster king-sized bayonet at that!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Japan even handgrenades came with bayonets, but FG42 LMG had a bayonet mount as well so they were not alone.

"In Japan even handgrenades came with bayonets,"

LOL

"but FG42 LMG had a bayonet mount as well so they were not alone."

hmm I disagree...not comparable...the FG42 was more of a universal, general-purpose para rifle that would fill the roles taken up by sniper rifles, semiautomatic rifle, full automatic assault weapons / submachine guns, and light machine gun, all in one (or perhaps I should rephrase it into "was supposed to"). therefore, it makes sense to fit it with a bayonet. The type 96 and 99 were dedicated machine guns, usually crew served.

------------------

"Hehe nah u have some valid points mate but umm well be a bit nicer." (GAZ_NZ)

Big Time Software wrote:

> I made the mistake of looking at a Vickers Mk3 LMG instead

Oh no, it's Attack Of The Curvy-Top-Mounted-Magazine Light Machine Guns! A Vickers-Berthier (designed by a Frenchie):

vb.jpg

It should be noted that the Bren in the top picture is chambered for the NATO 7.62mm cartridge. The original Czech VZ26 has a straight magazine, whereas the British wartime version, chambered for the .303in cartridge, has the curviest magazine:

bren303.jpg

David

------------------