Do you think that the Us would have been able to take the Losses that the USSR did .

I was thinking about the losses that the USSR took in WW2 .I would like to think if the US had had to take losses at that level we would have continued to fight .But I cant see this country having taken 20 to 25 million dead and having contiued to fight .

Fighting in Europe? I doubt that those kind of casualties would be acceptable.

Fighting on our soil? It obviously didn't happen, but I think we would have borne those losses, just as the Soviets did.

[This message has been edited by Soliloquy (edited 06-30-2000).]

Absolutely not! With Marshall deciding that the US had to make due with 90 divisions (down from 100+) casualties were a big probelm! In late 1944, it was decided to send the regiments only of the 70th, 63rd and one other division as Task Forces to make up for holes in the line in N.E. France. These divisions did not have the benefit of Army maneuvers before being shipped out and were also stripped of personnel many times before being shipped overseas. Many soldiers barely completed basic training before they entered combat!

Believe it or not, we barely made it (manpower speaking) in Europe and Japan!

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

Again guys you are mixing army casualties with total casualties. The 25 million dead figure includes civilians killed by Naziz. And I believe that was over 10 million.

Armies own casualties were not that bad.

Think of German submariners - 80% of them died. Yet they still continued to fight. If you push the right buttons then people will fight to the end.

I was talking about total dead not just military dead .I have seen tv shows and book talking about how tough it was during the war

in the US with rationing and women having to work .Tough was Lenigrad being under seige for 3 year with a million dead .Cant imagine New York holding out for 3 years

Only the first year there were civilians in Leningrad - after that it was mostly military and not much more. (My grand mother escaped from Leningrad in 1942 over the frozen Ladoga Lake)

I believe that US people would be able to hold out too. You just have to have right propaganda machine.

Besides a lot of Soviets knew that Germans were killing civilians and military alike. When you have no chance of survival under the enemy you fight harder.

Bastogne did hold out. So did marines in Korea.

US civil war was very bloody. I wonder how what % of population died compared to Soviet Unioin in WWII. Anyone can unswer that?

I think Soliloquay hit this one on the head. No, the US would have negotiated peace in Europe LONG before we got to those numbers. However if the Axis forces both invaded the US and our native soil were underfoot, then yeah, we're not really the surrendering type either. Think of the partisin actions in the US and Canada if they had somehow been able to invade us.

I have always enjoyed reading alternative history books and stories on the subject. Anyone ever read SS-GB? Or Hitler Victorious?

I agree with those who say that the US and the USSR were fighting 2 different wars. You are more willing for casualties when defending your home soil from invasion than you are if you are defending others. Once the Soviets fought their way into Germany it was harder to justify the horrendous casualties it was recieving, even with their dominating state. However, there is a breaking point, as was seen in 1917! The USSR never reached this point, even though it suffered more, and lost more in 1941-45.

Not a chance in hell. Only if the US was directly invaded would we be willing to suffer that level of casualities. It is one of the US's greatest weaknesses: unwillingness or inability to take heavy casualities. The best way to take on the US is politically and using the US's open society as a means of drumming opposition to any war effort. Giap was quite adept at doing this from what I understand. Operations were aimed not only to attack US troops but to also undermine political support in the domestic US. Nicely done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusm:

Btw is USA called motherland or fatherland?

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Land of the Free, home of the Brave.

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

I wonder how what % of population died compared to Soviet Unioin in WWII. Anyone can unswer that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found some quick numbers:

~646,000 Union

~134,000 Confederate

Total pop ~34,000,000

So just over 2%

(Assuming the World Almanac is reliable)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dNorwood:

~646,000 Union

~134,000 Confederate

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right. I believe that TOTAL casualties for BOTH the USA and CSA combined are in the neighborhood of 600,000. Casualties, not deaths.

Heck, the CSA had nearly 30,000 casualties at Gettysburg alone.

A less fuzzy answer from me will have to wait until I get home to my 'library'.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soliloquy:

the neighborhood of 600,000. Casualties, not deaths.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My bad. A quick web search indicated that the number (~600,000) was good, but it does indeed represent the death toll total for the war. Roughly 350,000 Union and 250,000 Confederate.

And so the 2% figure is accurate as well.

Marcusm

In answer to your question, neither one of these terms is commonly used in the USA. My take on the reason why is that our national identity is as a nation of immigrants. Our patriotism is often based on the fact that we (or at least our recent ancestors) chose the land (so to speak). However, we were not born of it. Hence, it is not our motherland or fatherland.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soliloquy:

My bad. A quick web search indicated that the number (~600,000) was good, but it does indeed represent the death toll total for the war. Roughly 350,000 Union and 250,000 Confederate.

And so the 2% figure is accurate as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off the top of my head, those figures are somewhat correct. The total white population breaks down as follows (in millions):

Union: 18.8

Border: 2.5

Confederacy: 5.4

Total: 26.7

Thus 600,000 casualties represent 2.2% of the white population.

Hannibal-

Also keep in mind that it's doubtful the U.S. would have suffered casualties at that rate - the Soviet forces were paralyzed and useless in the opening stages in large part because of Stalin's insane purges and the idiocies of centralized industry. Generally speaking their tactics didn't evolve that much either, another reason they continued to suffer such horrendous military losses.

But NOBODY likes to be invaded. People will obviously fight much harder for their own homes and citizens than they will for someone else's.

-dale

Guest bratboy

Also, you need to keep in mind that when Hitler first invaded the Soviet Union, the people, especially in the outer republics were glad to be free from Stalin. The only problem is that the Nazis considered them untermench (sorry about the spelling), and killed them faster than Stalin did. Only after the Germans started slaughtering civilians in great numbers did the war in Russia become the Great Patriotic War and engender the fierce resistance that eventually bled Hitler white. I agree that in Europe the U.S. would not tolerate such losses, but on the homefront we would would have sacrificed just as the Russians do. In reference to the civil war, the Confederates fought for several years without shoes and adequate supplies, quite an undertaking when you had to walk everywhere.

Brian