Newbie Question

All,

I just found out about this game. What a great idea using turn based and real time in the same game.

Anyway, I just preordered and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are going to be any small and simple scenarios? I am not an avid war fan so I dont know all the subtle difference between tanks and guns. I am hoping to slowly ease my way into the game.

Also, since I just preordered, any idea to when I can expect to see the game?

Thx

Jon

Don't know if there will be "small" scenarios, but you have the option of designing your own battles, and I believe (based on descriptions of DYO in other threads) that you can scale them to your preferences.

There are lots of ways to become more knowledgable about small arms combat and how to play CM better. The forum's one way.

If you just ordered, and are in the US, then it's likely your order should be shipped sometime next week. They're still trying to get all the preorders out.

Welcome to the club.

Hi jonp.

Welcome to the forum!

You can learn a lot just from playing the game. Do you have the Gold Demo? Don't be intimidated by the numbers of troops and tanks. Maybe just concentrate on a handful of squds and a tank, ignoring your other forces. You won't likely get a victory, but you'll soon see what items work well, and in conjunction with what.

Good general advice though is to support your tanks with infantry. Let the ground troops scout the area and only then wheel in the big guns. Tanks are powerful but extremely vulnerable.

When you get the final game, create your own battle. I understand that the editor is very user friendly, and you can choose exactly the units and terrain you wish to experiment with.

Hope this helps.

GAFF

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Did not expect such a fast and friendly response. Now I am really glad I invested in the game. I have told 2 others about this and hopefully we will all get into it.

I have played the demo for about 30 mins and that sold me.

Thx

Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I seem to recall at some point in the past Steve describing 1 or maybe 2 smaller scenarios that you could play that would sort of be like "training" missions. I could be wrong though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also remember Steve saying something along this line. I think there will be a few smaller scenarios that will each "teach" you a different tactic.

We will see soon.

------------------

Dan

Jonp i'm right there with ya. I had no idea about anything. Just play a few PBEM games with the gold demo\full game. You will very slowly understand what's going on. I still have relatively no idea as to the difference in the tanks etc. And once my game comes with 126 unit types.../me scratches my head.

-KOP

What up Jonp and Da'Pork-King?!

Glad to have you'all onboard. Yeah, I know a fair amount about WW2 vehicles and a little about infantry units; but some of the guys on this board are a wealth of military history.

Of course, to learn tactics and enjoy the game you don't have to be a WW2 buff by any means.

Stoner

Welcome as well.

Be sure to check out CM-HQ http://combathq.thegamers.net/ and CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com/ CMHQ has articles that are helpful. A new one on infantry tactics and there is a Golden BB section at the Annex with hints and tips.

Don't be overwhelmed. Read and learn and as you explore the game it starts making sense. "Oh so THAT's a reverse slope defense", and how it can avoid those nasty arty barrages, or maybe not!

Cm is really hands on learning. Try new things, does it work etc. I esp urge you when you have gotten a handle on mechanics to consider PBEM (play by email). It's simple and you'll learn alot more from a human opponet than from the computer opponet. Again welcome and thanks for bringing your enthusiasm

JD

Guest Big Time Software

jonp - there are several small scenarios in the mix. Some are quite tiny, way smaller than the demo scenarios, and are very manageable.

And don't let the overall number of tank and gun types in the game intimidate you. You can always click on a unit and press ENTER to get a "data sheet" on the unit, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you begin to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of various weapons. For one thing, the various tanks and guns usually look quite distinctive from one another (different size, shape, camouflage paint job, etc.) and that helps a lot, even for people like me.

Plus, you won't have to twist any arms to get people here to talk all about their experiences with this or that tank or gun in CM. smile.gif We all learn a lot here from each other.

Charles

Welcome aboard Jon!

Don't sweat the knowledge part.

I've "been at this" for a lot of years and I can still learn from all the guys on this board.

Besides... your in for some of the most fun you will ever have- discovering all the nuances of WWII and units, etc., etc.

Relax, ask questions and MOST of all, have FUN! smile.gif

Paul

When I was in college, I was fortunate enough to have a roommate with a "strong relationship with God". Occasionally, when he/we witnessed the "Saving" of an individual, he would quietly but powerfully celebrate on his knees. Whenever this Board picks up a new convert, I am fondly reminded of this memory.

Jonathan

Disclaimer: Not intended to open a thread about religious beliefs: anyone who wishes to discuss it can email me, but otherwise lets not get that far O/T Thank you.

Welcome jonp. In this game you learn by doing. Don't be afraid of making mistakes. I'm a newbie too and I've learned alot this past week just by reading the posts.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonp:

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Did not expect such a fast and friendly response. Now I am really glad I invested in the game. I have told 2 others about this and hopefully we will all get into it.

I have played the demo for about 30 mins and that sold me.

Thx

Jon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jonp. Wow that was slow smile.gif

I was hooked the first minute biggrin.gif