Separate Forums

First, I'd like to say that I absolutely love the UBB package - I use it myself at work. I'm NOT trying to reopen the "oldest thread" that discussed the merits of UBB vs the old text BB.

Now my question: I never really got an answer to the question about having several forums available on the CM BB. Is there any support for having a few (maybe half a dozen at most) forums devoted to different topics. I think that this would be a welcome way to deal with OT, spoiler, and tech support threads that we sometimes like to skim past if we're in a hurry. I know that it's quite easy to administrate/activate (just a matter of clicking a few buttons on the UBB Administration screen). Is there any reason to NOT have this feature, BTS? Thanks for your answer - whichever one it may be.

NOTE: All smileys were spared from this post by sending them to the eastern front.

Guest MajorH

That would be great if one could depend on people to stay on topic for a particular section. But since many people can't do that you end up still looking through all the different sections 'just in case'.

Personally I like the current one big list. I have my preferences set to only show posts from the last 10 days. With a 10 day or less setting, checking in once a day usually produces only one page of 'unread' topic titles to glance over.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 06-09-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, our thinking is the same as the Major's. However, we are entertaining the idea of breaking Technical Support out into its own discussion area. The chances of staying on topic are better and policing is easier (i.e. we will not answer a Tech Support question in the general CM area smile.gif). Plus, there are going to be a slew of the same old questions day after day, and they will both clog and get lost in the general CM discussion area.

Well, that is the theory at least smile.gif

Steve

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Yeah, our thinking is the same as the Major's. However, we are entertaining the idea of breaking Technical Support out into its own discussion area. The chances of staying on topic are better and policing is easier (i.e. we will not answer a Tech Support question in the general CM area smile.gif). Plus, there are going to be a slew of the same old questions day after day, and they will both clog and get lost in the general CM discussion area.

Well, that is the theory at least smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I still think that after the experience with VoT we need a special spoiler area otherwise double-blind PBEM and coming to the forum will be absolutely incompatible. Even well-meaning threads have been entitled "SPOILER - German sIG 150mm in VoT" which is not particularly helpful.

Am I the only one worried about that?

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

GermanBoy wrote...

Am I the only one worried about that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, you are not... i mean, it is hard to not read spoilers as often people put the spoiler right into the post header... just like you showed.. frown.gif

so... please.. lets have an own forum for spoilers... elsewise, i would have to abandon the forum for weeks, as i will surely get the game later and people will be discussing every single secret of every map... frown.gif

------------------

TargetDrone

who has a heart for smilies

and will defend their rights ....

even if the cost is bloody....

Exactly.

Us non continental will received the bloody game days after the well groomed hints and tips about ALL scenarios and operations.

I'm considering taking a leave from the forum when the first HURRAH! post is there.

For Europe/Pacific ream's sake, BTS please try to kick asses about spoilers to be.

Then the pleasure will be for us to PBEM...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Actually, it's not really that hard at all to keep people on-topic. That's what Moderators are for - and it works on most of the sites that I've seen that use a multi-forum format. The best part, is this could actually REDUCE the work for Charles and Steve, as they could appoint a few trusted souls as Moderators of some of the forums that are less relevant to BTS (eg Fionn, Madmatt, or some other long - not old! - timers). By less relevant, I mean OT and other non-technical threads. A separate forum for the OT would be a great compromise, since THAT shouldn't be too difficult to keep straight. Right now, half of the threads tend to be OT, and take up a big chunk of time to sort through to find the game-relevant material that I'm really looking for.

EDIT: Forgot to thank you, BTS for your prompt reply. I agree that splitting off the tech support WOULD be a good idea. Thanks smile.gif

(One more smiley sent to the Eastern front)

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 06-09-2000).]

Windstarz: The way UBB operates, you can determine which forums have been posted to since you last visited (they're indicated by a "lit" light bulb). Of course, on a really busy forum, that light bulb is usually "on". Less busy forums (maybe a tech support forum, for example) will not have as many updates, and therefore may prove this to be a useful feature.

Regarding the "Spoiler" police...appointing a moderator or two can help in this. While the Mod doesn't have full Admin priveliges, they CAN help keep things somewhat orderly. You can avoid the "Gestapo" effect if you choose a fair Mod that doesn't abuse his/her power too much. Again - appointing Mods could actually free up some of Steve's and Charles' time - so that they can work on CM2!

Steve/BTS,

I like the single place to come to get/see all CM related info. However, the seperate page for the tech support type issues sounds like a nice way to break things down a bit. So I could see breaking it into the 2 parts your are thinking about as being a good idea.

Mikester out.

I agree with many of you. Why not build a particular parts called "Senario" or "spoiler area" or anything else that suits. So if someone doesn't want to know anything, he can still lurk the forum wihtout risking any spoiler info (info such as German boy described) !

Just my thought !

I'd love to see a sub-forum for scenarios discussion. Though if there were one, certainly some of the spoiler stuff will spill into the 'general' forum. Someone will ask about AFV bogging and then someone else will reply, oh, yeah, that's a huge issue with the King Tigers when they come as surprise reinforcements on the swampy edge near the bridge in scenario #34. One can hope that with a zillion scenarios the effect of these spoilers will be reduced, as opposed to the situation where everyone's playing VoT blind and reading the forum for hours every day.

I think it might be worthwhile to park all those wonderful site links people keep coming up with in their own dedicated area. I refer to things like armor sites, military museums, map sites, online documents, history resources, online books, etc. It would also be good to have all the book lists and descriptions grouped together.

People keep coming up with amazing, really useful stuff, but I'm stuck. I'd drown in bookmarks if I went the bookmarking route, but my short term memory is marginal, so I see things I really like, then usually forget what they were. If we had a place where all the informational discoveries could be placed, it would be a huge help to me and maybe a lot of other people as well.

Regards,

John Kettler

I've got a bulging list of links in my folder. If anyone wants to e-mail me some of their favorite links, I'd appreciate it for inclusion in the FAQ.

I really, really hope to have something up by Sunday. And if nothing else I can have a list of links up.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

I still rather like an email list for general discussions over the Bulletin Board . This Bull.Board is one of the nicest I've used , though.

If I set up an email list at onelist , would anyone follow , or would I just be talking to myself , as usual ... smile.gif (do some people not like smileys ? wink.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

Abrams