While we wait: Ok,so where did YOU find out about CM?

I was looking for info on West Front, and the search string I entered in deja.com gave me tons of usenet messages that were about CM(which was always abreviated). I thought, "What the hell is a CM" after reading the tenth message of praise, and finally forgot about the West Front info and started searching for CM, which brought me here.

Hmm, don't remember for sure, but I think I came to the

BTS site to look at something about Achtung Spitfire! or

perhaps just to see what the latest wargame that Charles

was working on was about (he's always got something new

going on smile.gif). And then I noticed the headline about

this new wargame called Combat Mission that they were

working on. I decided to read what it was about and

when I saw what it was they wre trying to accomplish I

was immediately interested. So I started reading the

message board and it became apparent very quickly that

this wasn't just going to be a good wargame but the

*ultimate* WWII tactical land combat wargame. Something

that would blow every other competing product out of the

water in virtually every area you could think of. When I

realized just how great this was going to be, then I got

psyched. smile.gif Man, that was almost exactly one year ago.

I've been looking forward to CM's release ever since. smile.gif

First heard about computer squad leader a couple of years ago in Computer Games Strategy Plus mag. Then nothing after that until I came across a post at Delphi flight forum, about 3 months ago, telling everyone to check out www.battlefront.com. This sounded interesting as I remember enjoying ssg battlefront system years ago on c64. Needless to say I haven't looked back since.

[This message has been edited by Speedy (edited 01-21-2000).]

I first heard about CM from Charles Moylan right after the release of Achtung Spitfire when he was following up on a bug report I submitted about the source of the 'mysterious explosions'.

During the exchange, he mentioned Beyond Squad Leader and a sequel to Achtung Spitfire, Whistling Death. Signed up for BETA Test on both those projects right then and there. Unfortunately, I wasn't chosen for the CM Beta. And, I've been watching and waiting ever since.....

Guest Gunnerdream

Like Boris, I too was looking at the old AH site. I was trying to find a patch for Third Reich, because my computer had taken a nose dive at the time and swallowed that game with it. It was right after AH was sold to Hasbro, so although I did'nt post much, I've been following CM for a while. I actually posted a letter bitching about how I did'nt want 3D, just the counters from ASL reproduced on the computer.I look back and think what an idiot I was...oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Read about CSL years ago and thought "that would be great!" Then never read any more and really forgot about it. I was reading reviews on CC4 and someone had mentioned CM as being more realistic. So i came, checked it out, been here ever since..... Now if only i could stop playing the demo my every waking hour so i stop hearing my wife yell "just what in the hell did you do all day?"

Lorak

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

Guest scurlock

I read about CM in an article that I think was in Computer Gaming World about six months ago. The article was lamenting the death of computer based war games at the commercial level. It then raised the ray of hope that internet based marketing was giving to the genere. The article breafly mentioned battlefront.com, and CM. I saved the URL back then, but it wasn't 'till December that I dropped by and noticed the demo.

I first remember coming to the batttlefront website in the spring. (which I believe was just a website for BigTimeSoftware at the time)

I believe I downloaded and watched the Quicktime movies. I was not impressed.

Fastforward to August. I was offline for a few months from, like, May to August so I hadn't read anything about CM. Because my ISP is idiotic, it doesn't get c.s.i.p.g.war-historical so I have to read it through deja.com, which I don't like to do.

I'm glad I did. There was a post from Fionn about an AAR he was doing with Martin. Sounded interesting. Been hooked ever since.

My first task was to read every post on the board. I was extremely impressed by the quality of posts and especially Steve's replies. Steve's wonderful customer responsiveness is what sealed my pre-order.

Jason

I don't remember where I found CM. Some link on the net, which is odd since the last wargame I played was Alesia - a 54,000 cardboard piece game which I played with my dad when I was about 8. He won alot wink.gif

Anyway, since then I have brought the game and addiction I believe three GPAs and two Professional lawyers. They will never be the same. smile.gif

- Bill

Found out in September (I think) on comp.sys.ibm.game.war-historical, as soon as the beta demo was released. The raves and the word "Free" caught my eye... I had burnt out on SP and SPII, went through some other eras, and was basically looking, when this went up.

I was ready to Delete but couldn't tear myself away. Ordered as soon as Chance Encounter was released.

I was looking through CC4 postings on player reviews of that game. I ran in to one that rated it as a 1/5, or very poor. The posting then said if you wanted to see a great game go to www.battlefront.com and check out COMBAT MISSION. I was lazing about on night shift so had time to check it out and have been hooked ever since. ed

I don't remember! I think I was actually looking for some CC2 mods for Mac or maybe I was gonna download Achtung Spitfire but I don't remember which. I think it was the latter. I started looking around here and realised the this forum was the place to be.

Just think when I found out about this game I was only 13. That was late August. Now I'm 14. smile.gif

------------------

Visit my Combat Mission for Mac page! With all off CCJ's tweaked textures for Mac!

cm4mac.tripod.com

Guest Tom punkrawk

I think I first heard about it on Martin(Moon)'s site in june or july. I glanced at the screen shots Martin had on his page and didn't think much of it. About late August I decided to check the forum out, then I lurked until whenever I decided to register and post.

So much thanks to Martin

I probably found CM by accident through one of two ways:

1) At the time, I was working at a comic book store, and the hours were pretty screwy. I would work 9am to 6pm one day, then noon to midnight another, then 2pm to 8...you get the drift. Also, I was not getting interviews for a real job. I think now that these two conditions were, in fact, sliding me into a depression. I stopped getting out of bed before lunchtime on my days off, and had trouble getting up the energy to do laundry or even make lunch for myself. I spent a LOT of time just websurfing aimlessly, even more than I do now. Too much I realize. In this case, I was probably reading a NG for FightingSteel, and read a mention of CM (maybe by Fionn, and if so thanks you ex-slackass posterboy)

or

2) because the comic book store job could be deathly, deathly boring, I would make a habit of picking up the normal game magazines, and read a mention of CM there.

However I discovered it, I am certainly glad I did. Not only is this a great game, it will also save me money, because my standards are now so high it takes a HELL of a lot to get me interested in other games. I might buy ONE game besides CM in the next six months; the rest of the stuff that's scheduled for summer release just doesn't do anything for me.

DjB

I think it was a short news article at voodooextreme.com mentioning there was a turn based strategy game in the making that uses a real 3d engine. I took the link to CMHQ, found the alpha AAR between Fionn and Moon with about 20 turns done at that point, was quite impressed and downloaded the demo shortly after.

Dschugaschwili

Despite my ranking as a Junior Member, I've been posting to this site for at least a couple of years. I was searching for CSL - at this point it was being developed by Atomic (their version became CC1) and then it was taken by BTS. At this point I followed to BTS - I already owned OTR and FC2 and saw a lot of promise in their games. From there I've watched the whole story unfold with the collapse of AH and CSL and the determination of BTS to carry on with their version of CSL which became CM. Now when other people complain about the wait for CM I just sit back and smile - they ain't seen nothing.

------------------

'Bitter Mike'