CM system lock-ups

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suicides-by-Steve:

Has anybody have a problem with system lock-ups? I just installed a few mods, and now my game locked up for the first time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get lockups occasionally on my laptop. THe desktop[ seems to be fine. I think that it may be becasue of mods (I didn't start having a problem with the laptop until I put both Mad Dog packs in). It may be some kind of timing thing as my laptop only has 8 meg of vid ram (S3 Savage Mobile on a Stinkpad T-20). It may be that until I started using high res mods the Savage chip was ok with local vid ram, but with the mods i's trying to use agp mem and failing.

My home machine uses a GeForce 256 DDR with no problems whatsoever.

Guest barrold713

The only lock-up I ever had was after the initial installation I attempted to play while I had the Destivu program open in the tray. Once I closed this program, there was no conflict with the 3D card and CM.

This probably isn't much help since there can't be very many people running CM on a Gateway Destination system. If there were, they would most likely still be making them.

I also have installed and played with a bunch of the mods and not had any problem

Good luck in resolving the problem.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

[This message has been edited by barrold713 (edited 09-21-2000).]

I get lock-ups every so often but I think it is just the way Windows 9X is. There are inherent errors in the operating system and they show themselves at times. If it happens frequently in one particular program then you have a problem but occasional lock-ups are just a part of using a PC.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Hi,

I've found it good practice, for myself at least, to delete the prf file and start a fresh one when ever adding any mods, or changing anything on the system in general - like adding a new card, changing drivers etc.

Don't know why, but it's saved me some grief. Who needs to cut into valuable CM time with tedious things like troubleshooting <g>?

Regards,

Ralph D

I have a Geforce 256 card and I can only use Detonator 1 (3.xx) drivers with it or CM will invariably lockup within 5 minuets of starting a game. But with 3.90 drivers it never locks.

------------------

No, there will be no sequels. Charles and Steve have given up wargame design in disgust and have gone off to Jamaica to invest their new-found wealth in the drug trade. -Michael emrys