How did you guys first hear of CM?

i first read about it in some UK pc games magazine in the local B&N. It sounded so realistic and cool, i bought CM right away.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest barrold713

I first heard of CM in Computer Gaming World magazine and checked out the demo after reading their 5-star review.

Their comment that it was the ultimate wargame that we've been waiting for had me drooling with an anticipation that was partially satisfied by the demo and completely slaked by the full version purchased immediately after playing VOT one time.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest Rommel22

I saw an ad for it on the Wargamer.com page. So I clicked it and bang, my life of CM started!!!

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

For me, it all started with Over the Reich. I saw the demo of OTR on a shareware collection CD, played and loved it, went to BTS to get the achtung spit demo, and in the process, saw the first pictures of the alpha version of CM. The second day the beta demo came out, I downloaded it (I couldn't use my school's fast internet the first day). I became a member of this forum shortly after, when I wanted to find out how to keep my M18s alive. When the gold demo came out, I got that. It took me this long to order the first version, I only ordered it yesterday. Watching Tiger roll out his great mods convinced me.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I heard about the Alpha AAR somewhere, I think a mention on combatsim.com (in the armor forum?). As I read through it, marveling at the screenshots (which comparatively look like crap, now), I kept making my wife come look and saying, "Someone is finally making it! Someone is finally making it!" Buying the game was a foregone conclusion at that point, and the beta and gold demos just hammered that home. I actually went back and played the beta demo the other day - BTS has come a long way!

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

Was searching for some info on Talonsoft's West Front on dejanews.com and kept getting mentions in the posts it found about CM this and CM that. I thought, "what the hell's a CM?" and started searching for information on it. Finally found what it stood for and the web site address and happened to stumble in here for the first time just days before the Beta Demo was released.

And I've never looked back at West Front since... Go figure.

I was smoking crack in a back ally, when Jesus appeared to me. We talked about life and the downward spiral mine was going down. As the angels decended to lift him away his parting words were "Visit Combat Missions" and so I did, and it was MUCH better than crack, and just a one time money investment with a monthy internet charge..I was hooked. Of course the more I think about it, he might have said "Visit Convents and Missions"

-Mother Theresa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mother Theresa:

I was smoking crack in a back ally, when Jesus appeared to me. We talked about life and the downward spiral mine was going down. As the angels decended to lift him away his parting words were "Visit Combat Missions" and so I did, and it was MUCH better than crack, and just a one time money investment with a monthy internet charge..I was hooked. Of course the more I think about it, he might have said "Visit Convents and Missions"

-Mother Theresa<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buahahaha, your funny. That was freackin beautiful.

[This message has been edited by Darwin (edited 10-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

[bI actually went back and played the beta demo the other day - BTS has come a long way!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still play it, just played good old Reisburg today, as Germans. Won, too. Full version should arrive in 4 days, 2 hrs, 46sec. Ooh, now only 41sec. Ooh, now only...

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

For me, it all started with Over the Reich. I saw the demo of OTR on a shareware collection CD, played and loved it, went to BTS to get the achtung spit demo, and in the process, saw the first pictures of the alpha version of CM. The second day the beta demo came out, I downloaded it (I couldn't use my school's fast internet the first day). I became a member of this forum shortly after, when I wanted to find out how to keep my M18s alive. When the gold demo came out, I got that. It took me this long to order the first version, I only ordered it yesterday. Watching Tiger roll out his great mods convinced me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, 109 Gustov, you're not hard to convince are you? Been around since the Beta Demo and you just now ordered?

I hardly believe that. With characteristics like that, it makes me question one's decision making ability.

But anyway....I first saw mention of CM on one of those "Battalion is ready...Are you?" banners back in the Summer of '99. Went to Battlefront.com and CM was only in Alpha stages then and I wasn't too impreesed.

Clicked on that banner again in January, 2000 and the Beta Demo had been released for about 2 months. Downloaded it and pre-ordered CM the next day.

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 10-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 10-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

i first read about it in some UK pc games magazine in the local B&N. It sounded so realistic and cool, i bought CM right away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A guy I work with had a PCGamer mag that he was finished reading and I had to go to the men's room for a meeting with mother nature. That's when I read the PCGamer review and the excellent rating it received. I was hooked from that point on.

------------------

"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

I was actually looking for a new wargame. I had grown disenchanted with Steel Panther's moronic (hey diddle diddle, straight down the middle) AI and was combing the net for wargames. Lo and behold I stumble upon battlefront.com. The game was still in development but they had a beta demo you could download. I downloaded it and actually thought it sucked. I liked the premise and potential so much though that I decided to monitor the progression of the game. When the Gold Demo came out I downloaded that and instantly ordered the full version. The game has come a loooong way since the Beta Demo!

I was in a Avalon Hill chatroom trying to see if there was any plans on getting the Squad Leader game made into a computer game as I once heard it had been planned. Well, CM was mentioned as the best bet so I tracked it down. To say the least, I am a very happy camper!