Smokin

Something the little pest Peng has been doing lately is using MASSIVE amounts of smoke. He is the only one I have played that has employed this tactic. It has been VERY effective. I was even forced to surrender to that playground strafer last night. Is anyone else using tons and tons of smoke? It seems to work extremly well when on the attack and I am thinking of putting it in my bag of tricks and calling it mine.

Guest Captain Foobar

Please stop talking about this! I thought I had discovered a secret tactic to give me an edge!

No seriously, thats the first thing I like to do when approaching an enemy line. If they have any fixed positions with Mg's in sight, smoke em. Armor units can smoke em almost instantly, and with alot more accuracy than the arty smoke.

Well... Bill as a newbie and playing you my first PBEM game I didn't expect to die from 2nd hand smoke! LOL! I'll have to keep my eyes open now (most likley won't be able to see anything though) smile.gif

Lorak

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

Well... Bill as a newbie and playing you my first PBEM game I didn't expect to die from 2nd hand smoke! LOL! I'll have to keep my eyes open now (most likley won't be able to see anything though) smile.gif

Lorak

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

Colin-I was going to mention your site when I posted this because I had read the AAR for you and Peng but I didn't want to blow any FOW. However after rereading and thinking about it I don't think it really matters. Pengs AAR are very funny by way. I have gotten a big kick out of them. I hope you haven't read them yet though.

I never really used smoke much, until one of my PBEM games. I managed to move almost an entire company of troops across a previously bullet swept field by using 2 well placed smoke charges. However, I got cocky and ran up an extra platoon just as the smoke dissipated, they were slaughtered!

Smoke, nice to use but maybe not realistic.

I had a US 60mm drop 32 rounds in one turn, all over the place. It might be nice if you could control you round usage. If you could specify in a dialog box NO to be dropped this would improve game play.

------------------

Well, i seem to recall a thread explaining that squads would not be able to use smoke as it was undocumented. but it also was said that there would be arty smoke and that afvs could use it. any cover i can muster suits me just fine. in the colin game i forgot to change orders for one of my 81mm mortar spotters and things got a bit out of hand smoke-wise biggrin.gif and left that mortar with no shots left for actual killing, maiming &cet. of course, in the colin game he doesn't have much left for me to kill or maim at this point anyway. SS shamed me into pretending i don't know colin has any hellcats coming so i will be attacking as if they are not on the way. they are his only last hope. elvis lost and lost big time. i guess you could say i smoked him. last i looked there were nothing but dead germans or germans with their hands way up in the air. and lastly. my little pal SS though he had me by the nads, but found that i can kick ass even when i am down. buncha friggin sissies. bush leaguers. candy-ass pantywaist girly-boys.

Peng out

How long should smoke last on the battlefield?

It seems smoke from Arty and Mortars last over 20 minutes or more while smoke fired by AFVs last only a few minutes. Is this accurate?

My opponent in a game fired tons of smoke at me, from arty and AFVs...I hid one of my tanks behind one smoke cover and to my chagrin it turned out to be smoke fired by a StuG as it disappeared sooner than I thought exposing me to the AFV.

IIRC the length of time arty smoke remains on-map has been reduced.. As you all know the "spread" of arty rounds has also been reduced so now smoke lasts for a shorter period of time in a more concentrated area and won't shroud the entire field of battle.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Fionn is correct. Los got us some GREAT effective burn times for various types of smoke rounds. Not only does CM now simulate (correctly) how long the smoke lasts, but how long it takes to deploy. So if you fire a smoke round, don't expect to see a plume of smoke for a turn or so.

Steve