Anybody heard of this game?

From here: http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2657314,00.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Battle tactics are also realistically portrayed, with soldiers carrying bazookas and firing an initial barrage of rockets in the general direction of the enemy before players engage them at close range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what reality they're in; bazookas aren't supposed to be used as area-supression weapons, are they?

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 11-22-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I saw a demo movie of this a month ago and while it has some VERY cool graphics the game play and tactics applied were rather cheesy.

It's got a killer graphics engine though.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

From here: http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2657314,00.html

I'm not sure what reality they're in; bazookas aren't supposed to be used as area-supression weapons, are they?

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 11-22-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been playing the alpha version for some time now and it looks like this will be a really cool game but it's far from being realistic. It's a pure action game and although the player can fly helicopters and climb into tanks it's got little to do with a simulation. It's more like a mix between Battlezone, Uprising, Urban Assault and Counter-Strike. What's really cool is that you have huge battles between dozens of infantery men running, shooting, shouting while tanks are rumbling between them and helicopters fill the air... smile.gif

------------------

laid to rest alive

waiting in a shallow grave

mines have learned patience

- Kurtz

Rührt euch!

see this thread for a previous discusion:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012171.html

for an mpeg streaming vidoe of the game play try this:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/video/clasified.mpeg

its looks VERY cool

I would say its Eye candy factor and FUN factor are VERY high

But Realism? Well I think it is a First Person Shooter, so I'm not sure what role good tactics plays when you are trying to win.

Triggerhappy, can you tell us a little more about how the game plays?

Is there any use of small unit tactics? or do you just run around shooting whatever is in your way?

Please Share smile.gif

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-23-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Triggerhappy, can you tell us a little more about how the game play?

is there any use of small unit tactics? or do you just run around shooting what ever in your way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just a shooter, it's much more tactical than Quake 3 for example. As I wrote: The infantery battles are really cool.

Imagine running through open terrain with about 30 other guys. Suddenly your squad leader shouts "Enemy soldier, three o clock!" (there are always voice messages, just like in a flight sim). The guy in front of you breaks down, hit by an MG burst. The bullets are swarming all over as you swing your M16 around. You notice an Abrams tank, rumbling into battle to your left. You try to keep up with it so you stay behind it in cover. Suddenly an explosion shatters the tank and a Soviet Hind gunship is roaring over your head...

I've never played any other game that so much made me feel "Hell, this is war! Get me out of here!". smile.gif I especially loved taking out AFVs with LAWs. It's really pretty frightening to kneel down only a few meters away from a Bradley trying to get a good aim while its turret quickly swings towards you.

Okay, maybe I'm a little bit too enthusiastic but I've got to say I just love this game - the infantery part, that ist. I didn't like too much driving a tank or flying a helicopter.

------------------

laid to rest alive

waiting in a shallow grave

mines have learned patience

- Kurtz

Rührt euch!

[This message has been edited by Triggerhappy (edited 11-23-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triggerhappy:

It's not just a shooter, it's much more tactical than Quake 3 for example. As I wrote: The infantery battles are really cool.

Imagine running through open terrain with about 30 other guys. Suddenly your squad leader shouts "Enemy soldier, three o clock!" (there are always voice messages, just like in a flight sim). The guy in front of you breaks down, hit by an MG burst. The bullets are swarming all over as you swing your M16 around. You notice an Abrams tank, rumbling into battle to your left. You try to keep up with it so you stay behind it in cover. Suddenly an explosion shatters the tank and a Soviet Hind gunship is roaring over your head...

I've never played any other game that so much made me feel "Hell, this is war! Get me out of here!". smile.gif I especially loved taking out AFVs with LAWs. It's really pretty frightening to kneel down only a few meters away from a Bradley trying to get a good aim while its turret quickly swings towards you.

Okay, maybe I'm a little bit too enthusiastic but I've got to say I just love this game - the infantery part, that ist. I didn't like too much driving a tank or flying a helicopter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW!

All I can say is WOW!

The mpeg video of the game play was Stunning exactly as you described.

Sadly I'll bet is another one of those games that only runs on a PC?

oh well....

It looks GREAT!

KILLER 3D graphics engine

-tom w

looks interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You notice an Abrams tank, rumbling into battle to your left. You try to keep up with it so you stay behind it in cover. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, that's the last thing you want to do. the back of an Abrams runs about 1500 deg F (815 deg C). And it burns, burns, burns that ring of fire.....

RMC, it's been awhile since you've been around an Abrams I'd guess, they have a baffle system on the exhaust now, walking behind an Abrams is quite comfortable in the dead of winter smile.gif 'course before the refit, Uncle Sam bought a lot of tents and windshields (cars following M1's would have the paint and front glass scorched and/or melted, was hysterical) biggrin.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"