Barbed Wire

Guest KeyserSoze

Guest KeyserSoze

I was playing a downloaded scenario, Merville battery, and as I was trying to get to the battery I ran across some barbed wire, so I moved my engineers in position, right next to the wire and I waited(5 turns). So I thought they must have been to close to use satchel charges, so I backed them up and waited some more(5 more). No use. I quit and made my own scenario with a platoon of elite engineers decked out with satchel charges. I also put walls and walls of barbed wire. I moved them close to it. nothing. moved them a little further. nothing. finally I moved them into the middle and nothing. So I loaded the Demo and tried it. Nothing. (CM has come a long way with graphics and such, I noticed) I preformed a search and it appears that other people having troubles have been able to break through. So I think Im a bad commander now. especially because my engineers got cut down in merville by a mg42HMG. =(

If engineers can clear barbed wire, that's a new one on me. They can do mines, but I think you're stuck with the wire.

You can't 'blow' wire anyway. They tried that in the First World War, and it only made the stuff more tangled and impenetrable. You can cut it, but what infantrymen usually do is have one guy jump onto it and the others walk over his back. This tactic only works with a single coil, though, and those depicted in CM are a much deeper fortification.

Wire is best avoided, but it's only a danger if the defender has placed it well. Either he should be able to fire at units stuck in the wire, or the wire should force units out into his field of fire.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeyserSoze:

thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is a device called a bangalore torpedo.

It is a hollow pipe filled with explosive that comes in roughly 2 meter lengths. The ends are threaded so they can be screwed together, the idea being you push the first length into the wire, screw on another and then push that in and so on.

When detonated by electric det or by fuze they blow a hole through the wire about 1 metre wide. Unfortunately, I do not think they are modelled in CM

Yep, and like in "The Big Red One". And they were also used in both the vietnam and gulf wars. In vietnam, they were used to destroy foliage. In the gulf, they were used to clear iraqi minefields, barbed-wire, and other boobytraps around iraqi bunkers. Of course, the newer ones are better and can leave a trench in a sand dune wide enough for an abrams tank to role through.

Oh, and by the way "The Big Red One" sucks. Its just one long, boring WW2 cliche.

Yeah I hate The Big Red One. They seem to wander about on their own, as if they are mercenaries or something. What the hell is with that? The only time they are with other troops is Torch, Omaha Beach, and when they get shot up at Kasserine.

Keyser, in Merville just go through the clear paths. You should be able to close with the enemy with weight of numbers. Once you're close nail his bunkers with PIATs. I lost about half my force just getting to the hill, and won with that. The Germs are all green and conscript mostly, so they arent much trouble once you are at close range.

Lakima Keyser Soze

Guest KeyserSoze

I filled up those holes to make it more historically accurate, but I thought that engineers could blow holes in the wire, I even preformed a few searches and they all said that they could so I thought I would just go ahead and fill those holes. I'll unfill em...

• 2 months later...

I think this is a major oversight on the part of BTS. Yeah, engineers were usually required to clear minefields but regular infantry used explosives and banglores to clear wire with regularity. I would be interested in hearing why this was overlooked. Breaching mine/wire obstacles is so common place for modern US infantry that its actually a battle drill.

uhh...Barbed Wire was cleared effectivly by artillery in WW1. I can cite many examples of when if was use effectivly and when it wasn't used at the result were disasterous.

It worked well at Vimy Ridge for the Canadians except for the area dubbed 'the pimple'. Here the advancing troops didn't have artillery cover so they were mown down. At the Somme the artillery wasn't planned well so the troops were slaughtered.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

You can't 'blow' wire anyway. They tried that in the First World War, and it only made the stuff more tangled and impenetrable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bangalores "blow" wire just fine.

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 10-24-2000).]

Colin - AFAIK, artillery was very poor at clearing barbed wire during WWI. Shells weren't fuzed to explode on a grazing contact, such as against wire, but would instead plow into the ground. As David said, this often had the result of merely tossing the wire around and making it gnarlier and harder to cross.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Off topic-- Big Red One wanders because it is a true story - a biopic, and not a drama. It is based on the life of the movie's director, Samuel Fuller. He was an infantry private who fought for the first infantry division, and the movie as written was four hours long and very accurate to his and other men's diaries.

Fuller's movie got panned because unlike Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket it was produced by a war vet for war vets, and he insisted that it remain true to life: the endless parade of new recruits who die, the baby being born in the tank, the death chambers and Fuller's own participation in the murders of concentration camp guards but he was not able to keep the movie whole.

What killed it was the studio cutting the four hour movie to two hours, added a cheesy narration, and throwing out the most brutal parts (only leaving a the concentration camp and the scene were the sergeant shoots at Fuller's character, a real life occurance).

So Fuller's movie and the movie you see are not the same movie. Fuller wanted to show his own war crimes and the Germans, he wanted to show tanks crusing GI's in the desert and GI's running away at Kasserine (which he did in real life). he wanted to show hiring Egyptian and French prostitutes, his own fears when faced with death, and the final act of redemption of the war. It would have had no narrative, but have been like some bleak version of Battlefield.

Colin wrote:

uhh...Barbed Wire was cleared effectivly by artillery in WW1.

That depends on how "effective" is defined. It can be done but it is a pretty slow process, taking many hours in most cases. Definitely too long to include it in CM.

- Tommi