Panzer General 3D Assault on my Intelligence

WARNING!

The bears lost. I was sad, so I stopped at Best Buy looking for Company. I decided to buy Panzer General 3D Assault.

This is the worst software purchase I have ever made. The graphics are absolutely terrible. When completely zoomed in I can barely tell what I am looking at. I really enjoyed Panzer General II and was playing it this morning (ANZIO by Oronzo) using his equipment files. I can't win as American or German.

The Panzer General 3D assault purchase has really impacted my confidence in online reviewers. The guy at CDMAG.com said that it was 4 out of 5 stars. Now I am not knocking it based on realism. I am ripping the crap out this pig due to total lack of playability. The movement is so slow it really is simply annoying. All I was looking for was a 15 hour diversion for the next 10 days. I didn't get 15 minutes.

Imagine a $39 purchase and all the game is actually a step backwards in hex-based war-gaming.

I also bought Delta Force 1 for $19 so I'll be OK for a while. Combat Mission save me.

I finally broke down and bought something new myself, Jagged Alliance 2. And although it doesn't quite have me completely under it's spell, it's a fun game. I could see playing this a little bit at a time for a long long time.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder(anon)... PG/3D/Assualt is a worthy successor to the line, imltho. I'm havin' some fun with it & that's all that counts. I ain't no grognard, either, and I enjoy the diversion. The 3D terrain & animations are demanding & may slow the action down but I enjoy the effects. What's wrong with the Beer & Pretzel diversion from time to time. The gameplay is rock solid & the leader-based system/special abilities add a new dimension. They're just games & it's just my opinion.

Dale

Sorry to be WAYYYY off topic, but I looked up my Webster's, and I couldn't find out what a "Grognard" exactly is.

I learned a lot about the history of Grog, though wink.gif

Can anybody help some helpless German ?

from www.grognard.com :

"...

Grognard: a soldier of Napoleon's Old Guard; a veteran soldier; grumbler (French) - Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed

'Grognard' is also slang for someone who likes playing wargames.

..."

The grumbler bit is particularly appropriate, doncha think wink.gif

BTW, Web-Grognards is a good source for bits and pieces on a multitude of games, both PC and board.

JonS

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-18-99).]

I can't believe you liked PG II. That game, although playable, tried so hard to be a war game but it's really a child's board game with infantry, tank, and artillery board pieces. Somewhere a cross between Risk - Axis and Allies - and Chutes and Ladders.

It's not for the serious war gamer. People bash Close Combat for trying to go mainstream but Panzer General deserves first place in this category.

Thank you all for helping me out smile.gif

BTW, spitting on the ground whenever mentioning leg soldiers sounds pretty reasonable. I probably should train that behavior wink.gif

However, you jumpers are plain crazy. Riding tanks is what rocks !

Pak 40,

I liked Panzer General II because it was my first love. I still remember to this day my first game. I couldn't believe I was in control of the German Whermacht. After a short while it became much like chess. I like chess.

My goal in purchasing PG-3D assault was to have a little Beer & Pretzel diversion for 15-20 hours of fun. I was hoping new campaigns would be a new and fun challenge. West Front has been burning up almost all my free time. I was really hoping that PG-3D assault would offer a diversion.

It didn't happen. I really don't feel it is a worthy follow-up to PG II.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

SSnake

What! You've got to be kidding! Artillery is the ONLY way to go. Get 'em from miles away. If they're close enough to see the whites of their eyes, it's time to go home smile.gif

JonS

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-18-99).]

As I mentioned before the whole "3D" thing going on in P3D is P-BS having a tank ride on top of 3 Buildings is not my idea of 3D Realism...

when I saw the adverts w/o graphics I thought

"Cool!" after I saw the graphics I thought

"Schlock!"

The only cool 3D graphic I saw in P3D was the selection part in the begining where it has a 3D camp with a couple of vehicles and a tent...

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Pak40

I was never a big fan of the PG games myself, but loved Risk. smile.gif

I tend to divide my games into three categories:

* simulation wargames - accuracy realism is a key criteria (eg TacOps, Falcon IV, Harpoon II)

* fun wargames - gaemplay over realism (eg X-Com, Master of Orion II, Star Fleet Command)

* everything else (eg RollerCoaster Tycoon, SimCity 3000, SimLife)

There are enjoyable games in all three categories. I don't think there is any reason to pick games that are exclusively from one category.

C'mon, admit it - don't you have at least one dopey wargame that you like but are embarrassed to admit to? wink.gif

There are a few I could confess... smile.gif

Funny Kingtiger.

But when you said the game ran slow you never mentioned what type of system you had.

I think PG3D is pretty cool. I like the Leader System it has in it most.

------------------

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."

Sir Winston Churchill

I rather refer to tanks as "cross country submarines". Not quite as cool as actually launching torpedos (and checking the clock... Oh! No! It's coming back! All ahead flank, turn to starboard 20, down 15, we're cavitating!.... BOOM, screeetch, Damage reports! Ping... ping... ping...), but sure better than anything else the Army has to offer.

Shot down in a blaze of glory, I say !

***** VERY IMPORTANT MUST READ *****

How often does something happen in life where you say, "Wow, I am truly honored"? I had something happen today that forever has changed my attitude about war gaming software.

Yesterday I left an e-mail for SSI PR explaining my disatisfaction with PG-3D Assault. Today I received a phone call from Rick White at SSI. He is the Producer of Panzer General 3D. Just the phone call was enough to alter my view towards the game and SSI forever.

He actually took the time to explain the gaming system and why decisions about game playability were made. We spent some time talking about games of old, SSI of old, PG2 online, history of SSI, and I must say it was a truly rewarding experience.

For the first time in many years I feel truly honored to have had the attention of someone at that level within a gaming software firm.

It appears that SSI is comitted to the customer base and to providing high quality software to the mass market. Many decisions must be made to deliver a product to market, especially within the software gaming marketplace.

I have made an additional attempt at PG3D Assault this evening. I must apologize to SSI and anyone on this board that likes PG 3D Assault. It is fun, challenging a nice diversion.

This recent experience with SSI has been a life altering experience. One of my numerous character flaws is "loose cannon". I jump to conclusions about things, people and situations too quickly and then react, say and do things without thinking.

Sorry again for bashing PG 3D Assault.

I gotta go and ...well...yeah, I'm gonna play PG 3D Assault. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the artillery actually does damage (Large Damage), gotta go.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

Tiger,

All I can say is WOW. I am truly impressed that SSI cared enough to actually call you. I am a big fan of the Panzer General series, the original PG was my favorite, I bought it in 94' and at that time I considered it to be revolutionary ... PG2 was fun as well, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it guite as much. Now there is PG3 "Assault", I played the DEMO ... and granted I have been a little hesitant to purchase it considering all the other great games coming out soon (CCIV,CM,PE) but your post has just convinced me to give it a shot ... Thanks.

JT

------------------

"It is well that War is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it"

Robert E. Lee

kingtiger,

Glad you took a second look at PG3D. I was beginning to feel like I was the only one out here who was "into" the game. I realize how unrealistic the gaming system must seem to a grognard & I think the evolution in the series must disappoint die-hard fans of the original PG but I'm addicted because it's fun. Thanks for admitting your error in judgement; it shows me a lot.

Dale

Cool,

I will agree that the Playstation version of PG was terrible. But in 94' when the only Wargame I had was "The Blue & the Gray" (by "Impressions" I think) PG glued me to my machine for hours and hours ... granted, had I just bought it within the last couple of years I wouldn't be thrilled considering all the competition that is out there now. But the original PG won numerous awards for "Wargame of the year" years ago, so they must have been doing something right. smile.gif

JT

------------------

"It is well that War is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it"

Robert E. Lee