Cross of Iron

I just read battlefront.com manifesto and realized that excellent Sam Peckenpah film Cross of Iron was actually MENTIONED somewhere ... I tell people I enjoy Cross of Iron much more than SPR and they don't even know what I'm talking about (possibly because SPR is so damn self-concious and depicts the Germans as either monsters or cartoons, typical spielberg) Stalingrad, a German film, is also plain brilliant. Does anyone know of any other great Eastern Front movies? How many people here have seen Cross of Iron? Where did they get those T-34\76s? The Ppsh41s?

Guys,

If any of you are thinking about buying the Cross Of Iron DVD. Be warned. I love the movie but it is not a good DVD. It is not widescreen. And the print they used just plain sucks.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

Guest Kettle Black

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T-34\85:

Does anyone know of any other great Eastern Front movies? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"A Winter War" - Brilliant Finnish movie.

"Unknown Soldier" - Brilliant Finnish movie. There is both a version from 195? and one from 1986. The old b/w version is the best imo.

"Die Brucke" (The bridge) - Don't think it is East front but supposedly one of the best WW2 movies ever made. I have not seen it myself but am looking to buy it. It's about some Hitler Jugend who are ordered to defend a bridge at the end of the war. Based on a true story and made in 1962.

------------------

Kettle Black

"The End? With practically everyone still on their feet? Over my dead body!"

The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

If you liked the movie (Cross of Iron) get the book! I haven't read it in a while and I don't seem to have a copy anymore either but I remember it being pretty good. I tried a search for it at Amazon/Borders/BarnesandNoble and didn't turn up anything. Does anyone have a copy. Did it even have the same title?

Yeah I bought the book last week! It's of course better than the movie, I have yet to see one movie adaptation that actually is better than the book.

THERE'S A CROSS OF IRON DVD?!? WOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

I don't care if the print sucks I bought the Dune DVD too smile.gif

There's a new flick coming out in the fall (tentatively) called Enemy At The Gates set in Stalingrad.

Its based on a brilliant book of the same name, but the movie has chosen to highlight only a portion of the battle (which does make sense as the book had a pretty broad scope).

The film will focus on the 'sniper war' between Russia's Zaitsev (sp?) and the German sniper sent to eliminate him. There is also a love interest with a fellow sniper - but this is factual; not tossed in a-la typical Hollywood.

Jude Law (Zaitsev), Ed Harris (the German sniper), and I believe Bob Hoskins will be playing Kruschev.

I'm hoping for good things... We'll just have to see.

GAFF

I've just read "War of the Rats" by David Robbins which has exactly the same story line. Chief Master Sargeant Vasily Zaitsev makes a name for him self as a sniper and SS Colonel Heinz Thorvald is brought in to take him out. And yes the love interest really did happen (however hokey it seemed in the book).

Intro says it's a factual account of events based on research and interviews. I preferred "Cross of Iron" and "The Forgotten Soldier" though, but a good read none the less.

Reg's

Fen

Guest Blacksilver

The Zaitsev-Koenigs sniper battle is from William Craig's "Enemy at the Gates." (As I recall, Boochever discounts the story as Russian propaganda in "Stanlingrad.") The director, Jean-Jaques Annaud, reportedly told The London Daily Mirror that he "want(s) to make this so realistic that you will think you were there." We'll see. He's shooting in Germany instead of Volgograd ...

The movie I'm waiting for is one based on Sledge's book about Peleliu & Okinawa.

------------------

Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the Axis -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-D. W. Brogan, The American Character