Defend arc - is it possible?

Hi all,

I´m new on this board and fairly new to wargaming in general. I just purchased the game recently, and I´m having lot´s of fun learning the to do´s and not to do´s.

One thing is annoying me a bit though - a lack a ´defend arc´ command as in CC3 (Close Combat 3).

In the Villers Bocage - Tiger mission, I´ve run into a problem a few times:

One of my tanks becomes immobilized by shell, and the tank commander gets killed, thereby limiting the tanks spotting ability.

There I am - stuck in the middle of the street. I have a fairly good idea of where the next threat is going to appear, because my other units have spotted incoming tanks from the west. My problem is my tank was immobilized headed east, and the turret tends to face that way.

I´d like to be able to tell my tank commander something like "There´s a tank coming around that corner shortly - keep the gun pointed that way and let him have it!!" - something similar to ´defend arc´ in CC3.

I tried to do a search on ´defend arc´, but came up short, so excuse me if this has been debated or there´s another way to obtain the result.

I´d like to know how other´s handle this situation?

While I´m at it - this is my first posting, so I better take the time to thank Big Time Software for the greatest game I´ve come across in a long time. I thought spending a whole night in front of my monitor was a thing of the past.

Cheers from Denmark.

No defend arcs in CM. Frankly, this feature appeared in the first Close Combat, which was purely linear - Germans on the left, Americans on the right. You couldn't get your troops to face a different way for love nor money. The thing to do in CM is to rotate your men where you think they should be looking.

The issue of tank turrets has been addresssed in the latest patch (1.05). Tanks should continue to point their turret in the direction of a previous threat, rather than resetting to 'forward'. However, you can't tell them to anticipate a threat.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drifter:

I´d like to know how other´s handle this situation?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy. Don't get killed in the middle of the road! wink.gif

Just kidding.

Depending on whether your tank is just immobilized or worse, you should be able to at least suggest to it to TARGET an incoming threat. The AI may not listen to you, but you can try.

The TacAI, IMHO, is much better than CC3, so you can trust it a little more to do the right thing. I played alot of the CC series too, and it took me a while to let go the super-micro-management-twitch thing that CC seems to inspire (though I still enjoy them in their own right...sometimes I feel twitchy) and let Combat Mission do its thing. Once you get the hang of it, it's alot less stressful, and a lot more interesting.

One thing you might consider is using your wounded tank as bait. Flank that oncoming armor, which you know will be pre-occupied by your busted tank, with a bazooka. Big Boom Good. smile.gif

And welcome to the board!

Guest Gunslinger

>One thing you might consider is using your

>wounded tank as bait. Flank that oncoming

>armor, which you know will be pre-occupied

>by your busted tank, with a bazooka. Big

>Boom Good.

Yep.. I have done that one my self. I had a Tiger taking pot shots at my tanks so I sent a rifle squad on a suicide mission. They starting plinking at the tank, the tank swiveled around and started taking them out. Gave my tanks a chance to flank him smile.gif

------------------

Gunslinger ;=-

I thought that's what the rotate command was for. Turn the tank into the direction you want him to defend. With the default position of the turret to the front, it shouldn't be a problem......Then when he hears the tank a comin around the corner, he's ready.

Ya know, I just got back from France about a month ago and went to Villers Bocage. A friend of mine had the book Panzers in Normandy, Then and Now. There were some great shots of Wittman's and British tanks around the town. It was awesome to stand in the middle of the street (with the French staring at me, of course) and stand in the exact spot that his tank was hit...... Neat stuff......

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Hi all,

One thing is annoying me a bit though - a lack a ´defend arc´ command as in CC3 (Close Combat 3).

In the Villers Bocage - Tiger mission, I´ve run into a problem a few times:

One of my tanks becomes immobilized by shell, and the tank commander gets killed, thereby limiting the tanks spotting ability.

I´d like to be able to tell my tank commander something like "There´s a tank coming around that corner shortly - keep the gun pointed that way and let him have it!!" - something similar to ´defend arc´ in CC3.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I believe you could use the Ambush command or maybe that disappears if your tank is immobile. Just a guess.

Cheers

------------------

What you see depends mainly upon what you look for.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teamski:

I thought that's what the rotate command was for. Turn the tank into the direction you want him to defend. With the default position of the turret to the front, it shouldn't be a problem......Then when he hears the tank a comin around the corner, he's ready.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Teamski,

Thanks for your reply - my problem is that my tank is immobilized, so I have no opportunity to swing it around. It´s just prey, sitting in the middle of the road, facing the wrong direction.

I just think that as the overall commander of the tank (and everything else on the map), I should be able to instruct the crew as to the likely direction an attack will come from, and therefore have my turret facing in that direction.

Just my thoughts.

cheers!

Drifter.

Drifter,

Here's a suggestion to get the turret facing the right way, have the tank area fire in the desired direction without the main gun. I have done it several times and the tank will generally switch to a threat from the area fire pretty quick, faster than waiting for the turret to swing around anyway.

Ron

Oops! A bit hasty on my part. I've seen the AI do the same thing. A tank got immobilized and the turret never turned my way. Poor crew got incinerated by one of my Panzerschrecks....

Ron's idea looks good......

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Back to the "defend" command. Ambush works okay, but the ambush area is too small for a proper defence.

I'd like to see a defend command in CM2 because it would allow me to protect my flanks as I concentrate my effort on the battlefield ahead of me where most of the action is taking place.

------------------

Ah scheist.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

Hi Drifter. I too had a similar problem and voiced my concerns (and request for a Defend Arc) in the forum. I suggest you read the following posts:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007263.html

Take care.

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 09-02-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Teamski (and all others who replied).

Thanks for the link. I can see this topic has been debated thoroughly. I have played around a bit, and I´ve found that Ron´s suggestion of directing my tank to area fire without the main gun, will keep the turret facing the way I want. It has actually helped in my current game already. (I´m vers. 1.05)

Thanks for the input guys.

cheers,

Drifter

Hi all,

I´m new on this board and fairly new to wargaming in general. I just purchased the game recently, and I´m having lot´s of fun learning the to do´s and not to do´s.While I´m at it - this is my first posting, so I better take the time to thank Big Time Software for the greatest game I´ve come across in a long time. I thought spending a whole night in front of my monitor was a thing of the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drifter you have been assimilated

BORG.gif

------------------

Resistance is Futile

A better way to rotate the turret instead of firing shells, is to fire some smoke. Your enemy might just think it is a smoke screen layed down or something like that instead of your tank firing it off. Shells would be a waste of ammo (firing for 60 seconds!) and a giveaway of your position and situation as well.

As far as the immobilized tank goes, you can area fire, without the main gun, into the direction that you want to have the main gun face. The problem is that you'll be using up MG ammo.

You could also use the tanks ability to use the ambush command and set up an ambush marker in the are you think the enemy will be coming from. Plus is you won't waste any mmo with this method, but if the enemy comes from another area not near the ambush marker, the tank may be slow in responding to the threat.

A specific "Rotate turret" command for tanks would of course be the ideal solution. Maybe it's on the list of a feature to add, but I don't know.

Of course, you could always try and kill the enemy before he can immobilize your tanks. That would be the best bet. smile.gif