Operation Setup Problems

hobo

Anybody have problems with the ways setups are managed in operations. In the Arnhem operation I would lose ground after every battle. Frequently it would give me a setup area in the ground I captured, but would move all of my men back in a rear setup area. Also, it would cram all of my men in a tiny setup area away from the front. Is this a game problem or a operation problem. I have only played a few games but this is the only problem I have found.

Many Thanks,

Hobo

Hobo,

I am sure Wild Bill Wilder can (and most probably will) give you more info on this excellent OP of his.

I believe your setup lines are pushed back a bit from your final line, as it is considered outpost.

Moreover, the Arnhem OP is an "Axis Destroy" OP, and not an "Advance" one. You might have pushed at the end of the map in one battle and there is no space for the Jerries to deploy (assuming you're playing Brits). Were it an "Advance" OP it would have ended should you managed to reach the end of the map.

Just assumptions though... smile.gif

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

This is one of the major faults of the CM Operation system. In Any operation that you play, the defender will be pushed back from the area that he sucessfully defended in the previous battle.

There is nothing you can do to remedy this. Setting no mans land to zero might help but you will still be pushed back.

Keep in mind the battles you fight in Ops are just a small segment of the front line. You can annihilate the attacker in your sector and actually gain ground in a counterattack, but 3 klicks down the line somebody else is being overrun and you have to pull back to prevent your flanks from being turned.

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Keep in mind the battles you fight in Ops are just a small segment of the front line. You can annihilate the attacker in your sector and actually gain ground in a counterattack, but 3 klicks down the line somebody else is being overrun and you have to pull back to prevent your flanks from being turned.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm....

Sounds fishy to me. Why doesn't the reverse ever happen?

Hopefully BTS will devote some resources to a complete re-vamp of the Op, and to a lesser extent, the scenario creation system. They could both use some work.

Jeff Heidman

I have noticed the same problem; no matter how well you do on defense, you get pushed back. The only way around this is to go over to the attack, and advance to the enemy's side of the map. This of course isn't always possible, as the defender in many scenarios doesn't have sufficient forces to accomplish this. And if your counterattack IS successful, then the operation ends prematurely. This definitely needs to be addressed in a future patch or update. In real life, if you are defending and wipe out the attacker, is is very unlikely you would have to pull back, except in certain situations, such as an enemy breakthrough elsewhere on the front, or because your troops are so weakened or low on supplies that they could not hold out against subsequent attacks. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think CM models this. And even if it did, it shouldn't happen every single time..

------------------

"Follow me, and I'll show you where the iron crosses grow"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

This is one of the major faults of the CM Operation system. In Any operation that you play, the defender will be pushed back from the area that he sucessfully defended in the previous battle.

There is nothing you can do to remedy this. Setting no mans land to zero might help but you will still be pushed back.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something should be done about this, how about a patch hehe BTs. Its irritating to create strong defensive postions, only to have to go on the offensive to keep the territory in which you're dug in. On the topic it would be cool if a patch came out allowing u to use requistion points throughout a scenario i.e. a battles just ended in its course you discovered a strong enemy armoured force, it would be cool if you could then 'buy' armour etc instead of being allocated set reserves. This would simulate the way in which HQ's react to a situation at the front. They would not keep sending extra infantry battialions if a mass armour penetration had just occurred for example. There could be limits on whats available because of finite Division reserves, Corps reserves, supply etc.

Implementing this kind of thing would give CM an extra level. PBEMs could be gruelling strategical, as well as tactical affairs. The front could move from side to side over a few days as reserves trickle through.

I spent most of the Arnhem scenario as a German recapturing the town over and over again. I was shocked to learn that the brits had won after the last battle because there was a pocket of troops in the corner of the battlefield out of the town. I never could get to them because I would spend all of my turns re-searching the town and establishing a perimeter. I owned both ends of the bridge and had killed a ton of brits without taking many casualties.

In the same scenario as the brits I would have to to retake the same ground over and over again trying to establish a strong defensive perimeter. Because of this I have sworn off campaigns until there is a fix.

Its good to know its not just me.

Hobo

Yes, the line drawn taut as a string across the map not only leads to preposterous changes of real estate in the wink of an eye, some of which can seriously tilt the balance of play in the subsequent battle, but the technique is gamey to the point of being ridiculous. Why this "feature" was chosen is something curious indeed, and it shouldn't be all that hard to fix. Why not just leave soldiers on both sides positioned where they stand at the end of a battle, and then its for the opponents (AI or human) to decide if they wish to maintain their former positions or to set up farther to their respective rears? That would make sense. What we have makes no sense at all.