(Strange) Tales from the Front

Decided to lighten the mood a bit...

What's the WEIRDEST (or funniest) thing you've seen happen in CM lately?

My example from a game I played last night:

Had a Chuchill Croc and a JgdPz IV trade shots for nearly 2 straight minutes at 320m range before the croc got nailed in the side. Why is this weird? ALL but ONE of the croc's shots ricocheted (that's like 10 straight!). The JgPz wasn't much better; the first shot immobilized the croc then ricocheted 6 of 8 before getting the kill.

My 10 yr old daughter thought it was hilarious watching the tracers fly...

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Had a Hetzer exchange shots with three M4A1's for FIVE minutes (the Hetzer couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and the Shermans couldn't penetrate at that angle & distance).

Finally, my Hetzer killed two Shermans before succumbing to the third. Pretty amazing to watch all of the ricochets.

I had a 20mm Flak cannon fire on a Firefly.. sure death for the 20mm Flak crew but the Firefly could not hit also a broadside of a barn and those 20mm were ricocheing all over the place *plink plink plink* this went on for three minutes then a lucky shot! It took out the main gun on the firefly.. so it moves out of the way because the crew were prob. anoyed being used as a improvised church bell... it later came back into view and the church bell story continued for another two minutes until the MG on the Firefly took out the 20mm cannon smile.gif funny as hell to watch

I once had a Hummel fire at a lone HQ unit from 250 meters away. I watched the round sail thru the air in slo-mo heading directly for the HQ. Just before impact the HQ swung his arm as to direct his men forward and swatted the 150mm round away! biggrin.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

My Favorite slugfest so far was when a Tiger 1 & Jumbo Sherman slugged it out at 200ms, frontaly.

Both tanks scored 6 hits on each other, with the Tiger 1 finaly forcing the Jumbo to pop smoke & reverse. I was like; USE Pzgr.40, you dolt's till i realised no German APCR is modeled in CM, then a Pershing killed my Tiger 8P.

Regards, John Waters

I just played QB in heavy fog v/hilly terrain, I had Pl of Gebirgsjager Pioneers hiding on crest as pl of Brit inf ran up the hill the Gebirg Pl wipe out the Brits in about 25 seconds no survivors at no loss, which gets me to another thread on the board, favorite unit, that action has just convinced me, if I am in a scenario with limited visability, a couple pl of Gebirgs will high on the purchase list.

Ron

I still think the most amazing thing I saw was when I had called in artillery (105mm) on a Panzergranadier platoon moving along a road in the woods. The platoon was embarked on three halftracks.

When the arty was still a minute out, I noticed that all three tracks were dead, and their infantry mangled!

So I backed up the playback, and saw that a single spotting round for the 105mm had come down and landing right in the middle of the three tracks, destroying all of them and kiling a bunch of the infantry.

Needless to say, I then cancelled the fire mission!

THAT is the attention to detail that makes this game so damn much fun.

Jeff Heidman

Here`s my favourite tale. I was the Americans and had set-up an anti-armour ambush with a coupla Shermans at the edn of a road and a very sneaky PIAT team in a building alongside the road. Along comes a Tiger I and the Shermans duly pound it with many many rounds but cannot break through the frontal armour. Ha! I think to myself, my PIAT team will take its tracks out as the Tiger rumbles to a halt directly adjacent to the building they are hiding in. Its a clear shot on the Tigers flank at point-blank range. Now then, get this! Not one, but two of the Shermans` ricocheting rounds bounce off the Tiger and hit the roof of the building the PIAT team are hiding in, causing small explosions and routing my team right outta there! Damn..back to the drawing board. I love this game!

------------------

"No Regrets"

Way back in the day of the gold demo, a Sherman(105) was shooting at some infantry on a hill. It overshot badly and the round landed right at the back edge of the map. As I later discovered, it had landed right next to a reinforcing Panther that had just appeared and immobilized it! So, I ran a zook up to it and nailed it in the rear from 10m away (unsurprisingly, he hit with the first shot).

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

The best one yet has to be the thread in the CM - Tech support forum called "BIZARRE bug seen - Armored "Clown Car" .

Go there and read it, it's hilarious.

The bug it mentions is fixed, BTW. smile.gif

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

Decided to lighten the mood a bit...

What's the WEIRDEST (or funniest) thing you've seen happen in CM lately?

My example from a game I played last night:

Had a Chuchill Croc and a JgdPz IV trade shots for nearly 2 straight minutes at 320m range before the croc got nailed in the side. Why is this weird? ALL but ONE of the croc's shots ricocheted (that's like 10 straight!). The JgPz wasn't much better; the first shot immobilized the croc then ricocheted 6 of 8 before getting the kill.

My 10 yr old daughter thought it was hilarious watching the tracers fly...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this only took two minutes? That IS surprising - look at the armor thickness on those things and the penetration data for the guns. If the Croc keeps its front facing the JgdPz IV, they probably keep shooting until somebody gets a gun hit or runs out of ammo.

If I found myself commanding the Croc facing a JgdPz IV, I'd drive to flamethrower range if practical - at least that might do something - but you got immobilized, so no go there.

As for my favorite strange moment, it's still when I saw an enemy Wespe kill itself with an HE shot at a PIAT at 15m. Yes, its postgame kills info listed "1 Wespe." Seeing aircraft come in and strike a column of already-dead Pz IVs with a rocket salvo is a close second (grrr... at least I didn't need the help). They could have at least managed to brew up one of the wrecks, but NO....

------------------

-Doug

An immobilized Sherman in a duel vs a 20mm gun. They were 200m or so apart, and the LOS passed through a door and window of a house.

The gun kept firing away, shells passing through the house, and bouncing off my Sherman. The Sherman returned fire with HE but could not thread the window/door needle, so the rounds kept exploding against the house. This kept up for close to 2 minutes, until the house blew apart. Unfortuneately one of my infantry squads was trying to use the house as cover! Once the house was gone, the Sherman knocked out the gun with it's next shot.

Set up a goofy little QB --- German heavy armor (King Tigers, JagdTigers) vs Allied light armor (Stuarts, Chaffees, M8's). Watched a Stuart run rings around a JT --- the fat cat just couldn't turn fast enough to get his gun in line. Finally followed the Stuart into some scattered trees and bogged down (did I mention there was a Light Fog and damp ground?), and the Stuart moved in from the side and started popping off 37mm rounds at about 10m. Well, suddenly the Stuart takes a hit, and is knocked out. Thought at first that another German tank had taken him out, until I replayed the sequence once or twice... The Stuart had been killed by one of his own ricochets!

The coolest thing that has happened to me so far was on one of the scenarios. I think it was called ________. Anyways as my men were moving up to a ridge (no armor) a tank hulked its ass up into a hull down position gleaming over all my troops! I was going crazy trying to get my bazookas into position to take it out. Everytime they tried to advance to its flank it cut them down with its MG. I was still worrying like heck when during the beginning of the round it said REINFORCEMENTS HAVE ARRIVED. I checked the start of the map and saw no armor.....I was like "Damn!". So anyways about 20 sec later Im wondering what the hell the reinforcements were when all of a suddon I hear:

VRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

All I saw was a shadow of a plane pass over the tank then 2 bombs land RIGHT ON TOP OF IT! BANGGGGGGGGGGGG HUGE explosion! OMG I watched it from over 20 angles in slow-mo! Simply Amazing...

Simply Amazing

------------------

¤§ïѤ

Last night I set up a Quick Battle with a 75mm US forward observer against two Wirbelwind's in a rural setting. (I wanted to try out a fighter-bomber, but I got the force balance wrong and couldn't afford it, but I played anyway.)

I ran the FO right up into some woods at the German end of the map, but the Wirbelwind's spotted him and he was routed. After he retreated and recovered, he launched a bombardment on the last sighting of one of the Wirbelwind's, and quickly scored with an airburst.

I couldn't see the other, so I ran the FO forward again. This is the weird bit: right at the end of a go, he was just about to reach the treeline. Beginning of the next go... one Wirbelwind materialises two inches in front of his face... exit one FO.

The Wirbelwind couldn't have come out of the woods - and it's beyond me how my FO didn't spot it as he was running over open ground towards it. It just goes to show that in CM, all is not what it seems.

David