Best War Movies of All Time

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michael emrys

I only saw part of it, so I don't suppose I should give a recommendation based on that, but the last half-hour of Battle of the River Drava sure looked good.

Michael

A Bridge Too Far

Saving Pvt. Ryan

A Cross of Iron

Das Boot

All Quiet On the Western Front(both versions)

Three Kings (not for the plot I,m a Desert Storm vet and I think they did a great job of capturing the feel and plight of the plight of the Iraqi people)

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

-Saving Private Ryan (first 30min at least)

-Das Boot

-A Bridge Too Far

------------------

Civilians as human shields? Hmmmm kill them all and let god work it out.

DAS BOOT

A BRIDGE TOO FAR

WHERE EAGLES DARE

STALINGRAD

KELLY'S HEROES

ZULU

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

And many more

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

did anyone else enjoy "When Trumpets Fade" on HBO last year? Not bad for TV.

PS, HBO is doing " Band of Brothers", by Stephen Ambrose next summer. Stephen Speilberg is directing, I believe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked "When Trumpets Fade".. Speilberg doing an Ambrose book-- that scares me....

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

I liked "When Trumpets Fade".. Speilberg doing an Ambrose book-- that scares me....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that it's going to be in miniseries format. Could be interesting. Better than most of the crap that's out there anyway.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

What the hell was the name of that movie where German soldiers pretend to be Polish paratroops in Southern England to try and kill Churchill? That was kinda cool.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

What the hell was the name of that movie where German soldiers pretend to be Polish paratroops in Southern England to try and kill Churchill? That was kinda cool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't it "The Eagle Has Landed"?

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Thanks to all of you for replying. My motive for posting this "same ole thread" was to get the titles of war movies I havent seen, and it worked! wink.gif

I'm going to check them all out.

LOL DEF BUNGIS...

Lets see, maintenance....SPC Wally , Cornilieus (K-rock), and ...I see all their faces but cant remember the names. frown.gif

Hey SAR,

you'd better stop those rumors bout Tankers not being good wit computers, or I might have to let everyone know how long it REALLY takes COMMO guys to fix a boom mike on a CVC helmet! rolleyes.gif

Now remember that when I ETS'd I got promoted to PFC...proud f***** civilian. biggrin.gif

You bring that **** to me mon!

...Anytime... (Predator)

------------------

One shot...One Kill

Iron Duke, Def Bungis-

Unbelievable!

I too was in 2/67 AR. I was an LT in A company, left the bn just before the gulf war and went up to Bde. I spent the war in Bde S-4 (future ordnance officer). I can't even remember the bn commander just before Merritt any more (LTC Charles Carson/Colson/Colby/something)?

I got out in '92, and am now in the Guard. Steve

I just wanted to mention a movie that is conspicuous in it's lack of being mentioned.

I would like to include some reviews of the film as posted on amazon.com (where you can buy this excellent movie)

:" This has to be one of the better war movies of all time. It's a shame that it isn't better known in the US. The battle scenes are fantastic, making you feel like you're a part of the action. What this must have been like on the big screen! This movie follows a Finnish company from mobilization to war's end, with plenty of action and some leave in between. The numbers of people involved, from the Russian wave attacks to the marching soldiers, is also seldom seen these days. Overall, it's an excellent film."

:"This is a very good movie about Finnish troops trying to repel the massive Soviet invasion of Finland in the early part of World War II. It has many tense, gut-wrenching battle scenes and some interesting, admirable characters. Some parts are almost heart-stopping, including outnumbered Finnish troops watching huge numbers of Soviets attacking their trenches, and Finns going out in the open to stop the Soviet tanks. Other scenes of soldiers visiting their families behind the lines are also effective."

All-in-all, this has to be one of my favorite war movies.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giftig:

A Walk In The Sun

The Beast

Aliens (Yeah, it *is* a war movie!)

The Hidden Fortress

Kagemusha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked Ran better than Kagemusha, but that's a good one. Also, Heaven and Earth (the Samurai movie, not the Tommy Lee Jones flick) had kick-ass battle scenes!

------------------

Hey, Red Devils,

Did you notice that Heaven & Earth was filmed in Alberta? I nearly fell outa my seat when they looked up at the stock postcard image of Banff and cried, "Ah! Mount Fuji!" biggrin.gif

There's still some beer spray on the wall...

------------------

Lucasta, when to France your man

Returns his fourth time, hating war,

Yet laughs as calmly as he can

And flings an oath, but says no more,

That is not courage, that’s not fear—

Lucasta he’s a Fusilier,

And his pride sends him here.

Here are a few war films that aren't to do with WWII or later.

WWI

PATHS OF GLORY - No finer example of an anti-war sentiment has been made. A classic. Shows the hypocrisy of French generals at the time.

GRAND ILLUSION - Jean Renoir's masterpiece. A French officer tries to make his Prussian captor understand why they must care about other classes.

ALL IS QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT - The black white earlier version is the best. A German boy becomes a soldier due to the urging of his schoolmaster and soon finds horror.

17th - 19th century

99 DAYS IN PEKING - Okay this is in the 20th century but it doesn't fit anywhere else. A multinational force defend the foreign legations at Peking against the Boxer rebellion. As a Chinese I'm a little torn here but it's still fun.

GETTYSBURG - The Turner four hour version is full of speechifying but there are two great battle scenes, the defense of the Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge. Turner is seen killed in one shot.

GLORY - An emotional film about a black regiment commanded by a white officer who make sacrifices to show that they can earn their freedom.

BARRY LYNDON - the tale of an Irish rogue as he travels throughout Europe. He gets caught up in the Austrian army at one point.

WATERLOO (1970) - the classic battle as depicted by thousands of Russian extras. Christopher Plummer is Wellington and Rod Steiger is Napoleon.

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE - The version with Trevor Howard as Cardigan is noteworthy for its depiction of the events themselves. The leadup can be a bit stuffy though.

ZULU - Michael Caine and Stanley Baker lead a troop of British army who defend a lonely outpost against a massed Zulu army. The Zulus are shown to be cunning.

ZULU DAWN - A nice depiction of the Zulu victory over and massacre of an ill-prepared British army at Isandwhala.

THE FOUR FEATHERS - The 1939 version is one of the best examples of a colonial British adventure on film. Another take on this tale will be coming out next year.

LAST OF THE MOHICANS - Rousing adventure that also pays attention to the history of the French and Indian war. Sure, Hawkeye can somehow reload a musket on the run but it still has tons of integrity 'The Patriot' lacked.

THE DUELLISTS - Ridley Scott film about a grudge match between two Napoleonic officers taking place against the backdrop of the Napoleonic wars.

Medieval, Ancient

FLESH & BlOOD - Paul Verhoven's adventure about a group of mercenaries in the Thirty Years war era Germany who kidnap the daughter of a lord for ransom.

THE LAST VALLEY - A band of mercenaries in the Thirty Years War are convinced to settle in an idyllic valley rather than sack it. But the tides of war threaten to put a torch to their paradise.

BRAVEHEART - brutal gory battlefield. Scots battle it out against brutal English. So-so filmmaking but good depiction of the battles.

ROBIN AND MARION - Sean Connery is an ageing Robin Hood who returns after being imprisoned by Richard the Lionhearted to find Marion (now an abbess) and have a final reckoning with the Sheriff of Nottingham.

SPARTACUS - Stanley Kubrick's epic about the slave rebellion against the Romans lead by the slave Spartacus. Nice battle at the end.

GLADIATOR - The film begins with an awesome battle between a Roman legion and a German horde.

RAN - Kurosawa masterpiece. Three sons quarrel over a feudal lord's bequest and go to war in medieval Japan.

KAGEMUSHA - a lookalike for a dead feudal lord is propped up on the throne to forestall a succession struggle.

EXCALIBUR - The King Arthur tale. Big men in shining armour.

Adventures

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI - A team of commandos seek to blow up a bridge that is being built by commonwealth POWs in Burma.

TOO LATE, THE HERO - Michael Caine is part of a British troop making their way through a Japanese-held island to make a critical radio message.

Films about the 'home front':

HOPE AND GLORY - funny tale about a family during the Blitz

MEPHISTO - an actor falls in with the Nazis in Germany

EUROPA, EUROPA - the improbable tale of a young Jewish boy who poses as a Hitler Youth among many adventures

THE TIN DRUM - a boy chooses not to grow up during the rise of Nazi Germany.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Hey, Red Devils,

Did you notice that Heaven & Earth was filmed in Alberta? I nearly fell outa my seat when they looked up at the stock postcard image of Banff and cried, "Ah! Mount Fuji!" biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one of the 7 ft bows used in the film as well as a set of the plastic armour used by the extras. (red)

I didn't think the film had the same level of artistry as Ran or Kagemusha.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephen Smith:

Iron Duke, Def Bungis-

Unbelievable!

I too was in 2/67 AR. I was an LT in A company, left the bn just before the gulf war and went up to Bde. I spent the war in Bde S-4 (future ordnance officer). I can't even remember the bn commander just before Merritt any more (LTC Charles Carson/Colson/Colby/something)?

I got out in '92, and am now in the Guard. Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi ya steve, I don't remember a LT Smith in Aco. As a matter of fact I can't remeber the Aco commanders name...or the 1SG. The BN Commander right before Merrit was HONDO! Remeber? That Crazy ****er.

I do think your commo guy was SPC hart...?

Any way, it is really amazing we are on the same board together! I can almost bet with the popularity of this game, more IRON DUKES will show up here.

Well, it looks like now there are two former tankers I get to teach some tactics to.

More like, I'm gonna show you a little somethin about total humiliation on the battle field. biggrin.gif

Set up files go out to IRON DUKE, and STEPHEN SMITH this weekend!

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GIJim:

I just wanted to mention a movie that is conspicuous in it's lack of being mentioned.

I would like to include some reviews of the film as posted on amazon.com (where you can buy this excellent movie)

:" This has to be one of the better war movies of all time. It's a shame that it isn't better known in the US. The battle scenes are fantastic, making you feel like you're a part of the action. What this must have been like on the big screen! This movie follows a Finnish company from mobilization to war's end, with plenty of action and some leave in between. The numbers of people involved, from the Russian wave attacks to the marching soldiers, is also seldom seen these days. Overall, it's an excellent film."

:"This is a very good movie about Finnish troops trying to repel the massive Soviet invasion of Finland in the early part of World War II. It has many tense, gut-wrenching battle scenes and some interesting, admirable characters. Some parts are almost heart-stopping, including outnumbered Finnish troops watching huge numbers of Soviets attacking their trenches, and Finns going out in the open to stop the Soviet tanks. Other scenes of soldiers visiting their families behind the lines are also effective."

All-in-all, this has to be one of my favorite war movies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean "The Winter War" ? that was a great movie smile.gif

SS Peiper

I don't think it was the best movie, but there was recently a remake of the Humphrey Bogart movie, "Sahara" (I think that's the name) The remake stars Jim Belushi. The movie is very Hollywood, but I thought it was pretty cool. It is about a motley group of allied soldiers fleeing from the advancing Afrika Corps. They decide to make a stand against a German recon force in order to buy time for the rest of the allied armies.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GI Tom:

Yes, it was the Eagle has Landed with Donald Sutherland, Michael Caine and Robert Duvall.

GI Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really an excellent film. Was good as a movie not just as a war movie. Really first-rate cast. A movie I would be happy to see again.

Michael