Are hill crests cover?

I have seen many times infantry who are covered by a hills crest come under direct fire and instead of ducking behind the skyline they abandon that solid position of cover/concealment/commanding view and actually run towards the incoming fire to the flimsy cover of say scattered trees.

In all cases the incoming direct fire was from a direction & angle which could not hit the reverse sloap of the hill's crest.

Is this a bug?

Maybe it's more of an oversight. I think you're onto something. It does seem like the AI's "run away" target selection is based on terrain tile type and not whether it gets out of the enemy's LOS, regardless of tile type. IOW, because the reverse slope might be open ground, the AI doesn't consider it when looking for cover.

Maybe this could be changed? I don't know. Going over the crest requires some degree of rational thought. If the unit is panicked, maybe it should just go for obvious tiles of cover. But if it was just alerted or taking cover, or was of higher quality, it might go over the crest.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Mmm, I think there is something else here also. I just finished playing a scenario where my defending troops were in foxholes(open ground) on the reverse slope of a ridge. I hoped to ambush the enemy as they came over. It didn't work out that way because as soon as my troops began receiving fire they left the safety of the foxholes for some scattered trees nearby. CM doesn't appear to weigh foxholes in the open very high in the cover department since scattered trees really aren't that great either. This was played with 1.03.

Guest Madmatt

Joe Private:

Units are smarter about seeking cover in 105.

Not sure about the crest issue though.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Dear BTS

I belive the issue of hill crest cover should be sorted out because it takes away a fundimental portion of cover used in reality by infantry. A soldier fireing from a hill crest is effectivly hull down - his body and legs are out of the firers los - if pinned the soldier can just duck behind the skyline for total cover. It would be strange not to include this factor in what is a brilliantly realistic game.

Could not the los calculations used for tanks be used?

I third it. Can be more than just a tad annoying when your troops run screaming towards the nearest flimsy copse of scattered trees when they were in perfectly good foxholes located on the reverse of a slope & hence, in most experts minds, in pretty darn good cover.

Just shamelessly trying to get this topic to catch BTS's eyes.

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

I fourth it.

I've been trying to use this tactic since I saw it in an AAR by Fionn.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But in that AAR the reverse slop was either made up of scattered trees or forest. So the guys were in doubly excellent cover.

I also agree with everyone. I have had the same problems with my troops running for "better" cover on the front side of a hill when they were perfectly safe on the reverse slope.

Jeff

At first it sounds strange that the infantry would do that kind of rush. After a while though i thought of something, im not saying that this has to be true or anything like that so dont be hurling hamster at me guys : )

Lets say that you have a rifle squad on the far side of a hill. Since they are on the back side of the hill they won't see anything on the other side and all of a sudden the ground starts shaking from lets say heavy artillery fire. Since they have no idea where the artillery is located they will probably just run for a better cover hoping to get away from the artillery bombardment. For them is probably very smart to run to the other side of the hill since they have no way of knowing that the enemy has that side of the hill covered.

Just my 2 cents worth...

------------------

< All gave some, some gave ALL>

Owner of MiNa's CMBO Page

http://come.to/combatmission

I am not sure exiting a foxhole in the face of arty fire is the best way to keep a squad intact. Even if they get to cover (say trees) tree bursts may be worse still. Was a "hold at all cost" command ever discussed on

the forum? This may keep our troops in place until they panic and we lose control of them. Even with such a command, I could still see units with lower moral have an increasing probability of disobeying the hold command and then leaving open ground foxholes. That way we would not have complete control on the "hold at all cost" order. Since 1.05 is supposed to be better,

I want to observe my squads more before I really support such a command.

- Kinch

I strongly agree, why would any soldier run from behind complete cover directly into the gunshots that scared the bejesus out of him. Even if they did pnaic wouldnt a soldier be more likely to run the other direction. Not only does further down the hilll get you further out of los and out of danger, further down the hill is the opposite direction of the gun that scared him in the first place.

Sorry if i seem bitter but i have sufered from this as well. It seems to me the squads are reacting to how close the incoming fire was and how open they were instead of reacting to how unlikely it was they would get hit.

------------------

Hot enough for ya'?

DaKilnGuy

[This message has been edited by DaKilnGuy (edited 09-09-2000).]

Michlos - this is not a flying hamster - the situation you describe is perfectly correct.

I opened this topic about direct small arms fire against the cover afforded to infantry by hill crests and also the reactions of those fired on inf being a bit unrealistic. I see this as a last bastion of innaccuracy in an otherwise near perfect game - one which I hope Steve & Charles will soon comment on and do somthing about.

Hang on, Steve & Charles have got just about everything else covered - surely they must have looked at this issue, mayby there is some programming problem which prevents it from being done? Like wreaked viechals not blocking los issue.

I'd really like to hear from the guys at BTS what is what.

[This message has been edited by James Ling (edited 09-09-2000).]

Of course, if a unit is taking fire, it is by definition not being protected by the terrain. I am in no doubt that hill crests provide cover - it's not like they're going to function differently from big hills and every other kind of terrain in the game - but what you see isn't a perfect representation of how the terrain really is. I've seen target lines almost wrapping over a hill (even accounting for the fact they float a bit). You've just got to treat terrain like buildings - if your unit is too close to the edge, they might not actually be in cover in the eyes of the game engine.

I think any change made would have to be a universal one - ie. making all units more inclined to stay in open terrain while under fire. I'm not sure if this would be a desirable tweak. Unfortunately the AI isn't smart enough that it can consider the lie of the terrain a unit is in when deciding how it's going to react to incoming fire. A 'hold at all cost' feature might be a good idea, to indicate to a unit that the position they're in is very important, and they shouldn't move unless it's a really bad idea to stick around.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

This has been discussed before, in this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007848.html

I for one would like to see this issue (not really a bug in my mind) addressed. I continue to see units target through houses and over hills, and while I understand that the graphics are not a perfect representation of what the computer is calculating, if a unit is 5 or 10 meters beyond the crest in visual representation it should not be able to be targeted. Or if it is, then how far off is the visual representation?

In the thread a website is mentioned that has some representative screenshots. I think the author of this page did a good job showing the issue. Thank you Simon.

http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/ammodump/

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACTOR:

...if a unit is 5 or 10 meters beyond the crest in visual representation it should not be able to be targeted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about being targetted by an enemy unit at a higher elevation? This issue may not be a simple as you think. I'm not sure how the game engine handles intervening obstacles, but I get the feeling from what I've read that it's not ready to handle too much stress yet.

Michael

This thread single handily changed my force selection and tactics in a PBEM I recently started. All I had was reverse slope cover as the hills in the setup were so shallow and my opponent commanded the high feature (plus 2 story structure). A .50 cal would have stunted the entire attack for two turns. Made me change everything, whereas I had assumed I would at least have some cover for my troops.

I wish BTS would respond to this. I thought this was adequate cover as well, given my reading of a Fionn AAR (Sunken Road).

Michael, I am not sure I follow you. My units are on the reverse slope ~10m down, and yet they are targeted by an enemy unit that is in the flat lands on the other side of the hill.

Again, I think this needs to be addressed, but it is not hurting my game play. I just consider the fact that I need to be further down hills before I feel safe.