Operation Ending Early?

On the operation Drive to Mortain (playing the allies), it ended after the second scenario. Anyone have this happen? Moreover, I got ALL of my armor wiped out on the first scenario, yet at the premature end of the second scenario it said Allied Total Victory. Me very confused.

Did it happen with you losing or winning? If you lost, it was probably because German forces penetrated your lines, and were able to reach the other end of the map. You may not have been able to see them. If you still have the last turn autosave, play it again, and at the end op briefing, check the map.

------------------

I'm always in the ****, it's only the depth that varies.

No, it happened with me getting "Total Victory." But that is strange, considering all of my armor and most halftracks had been wiped out in the first scenario. However, I did have two halftracks and ALL of my reinforcement units.

I checked the map, and there were many Germans that I had not engaged. In this operation, I thought the point was to advance quickly. I did so, up the side of the map that I thought the Germans would probably not be protecting as well. My plan seemed to work, but then the operation ended itself 4 scenarios too early!

[This message has been edited by BDW (edited 07-14-2000).]

I'm playing this operation right now, too, only from the German side. I'm quite upset because in the first two battles I've played so far, I've blunted the AI's attacks and stopped him cold.

However, when the next battle began, I find my setup area and surviving units being relocated a couple hundred meters behind where I started!

There is no reason for my forces to be pulled back and give up ground like that. They stopped the enemy cold, and then decided to give up the ground they just fought over as a consolation prize?

Methinks this is something that needs investigating. I am not happy about seeing my units willfully retreat. If they were "persuaded" to retreat during the battle, I could understand.

Dar

Yeah, I was just bummed out because I was having fun sneaking those guys forward.

I wonder if something weird happened because my troops were at the same "latitude" as the Germans units, just on either side of the map (me on the left, Germans on the right) wehnt he scenario ended. Maybe the game could not figure out where to redraw the line so it just ended the operation...?

I wish someone had some insight on what the heck happened. I miss the good old days when Steve responded to every post! smile.gif

I would think we need much more fluid setup lines in operations. Not just a sort of straight line like there is now.

Penetrating an attackers flank will do a defender absolutely no good the way it is now. The operation setup lines seem to be calculated using the most forward located attacking units, regardless of what else happens on the battlefield.

BDW,

Looks like you and i played the exact same OP with the exact same results.

Check out the thread titled "Warning, Warning!!" by mch. He and i were playing against each other in "Drive to Mortain", i was the Amis. In game 1 i lost 8 vehicles and only made it to the first turn in the road, in game 2 i only made it 2/3 of the way across the map and lost 2 more.

During game 2 i destroyed my opponent's AT assets so he chose to retreat off the map and regroup for game 3 (a sound tactic, IMO)

However, the OP ended as soon as his last unit exited. At no time did i have my opponent outflanked nor under heavy fire. In fact, i never made contact with his infantry in the second game. Also, after losing so much in the first game, i chose a slow, methodical advance for the second game, so his units were able to withdraw in good condition.

I agree with you, it's not right that the game ended so soon. Especially when you consider that my opponent was doing everything right (including retreat to re-group).

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dar:

However, when the next battle began, I find my setup area and surviving units being relocated a couple hundred meters behind where I started!

There is no reason for my forces to be pulled back and give up ground like that. They stopped the enemy cold, and then decided to give up the ground they just fought over as a consolation prize?

Methinks this is something that needs investigating. I am not happy about seeing my units willfully retreat. If they were "persuaded" to retreat during the battle, I could understand.

Dar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had this happen to me, as well. mad.gif

The reason the front keeps moving back has to do with the way the game computes the front lines based on the forces on the map and the size of "no-man's land" for that operation. Thus, as long as the US has sufficent forces (not sure how much is "sufficient"), they can roll back your positions by pushing back "no-man's land".

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Kingfish - I agree, the op should not end so soon. Especially if it is a bug in the way the game calculates after each scnerario in an operation.

However, if it is set this way on purpose, then I think that CM should be a lot more flexible about ending operations. Or at least give us a setting for this. Even if I WAS getting my butt kicked (which seemed like the case, but then again I was given Total Victory when the op ended early) I think that the operation should play out longer.

But this just made no sense to me. I understand an operation ending early when it is a Total Victory for the opponent. But in this case, the Operation ended early on me and I got a Total Victory. That seems totally illogical to me.

I wish Steve would chime in on this and offer the final explaination. I am confused! smile.gif

This is bugging me too. I was imagining operations where bulges and salients would be created in the lines over the course of a battle. Especialy on the larger maps, but I havent seen it yet. The best Ive seen is a 20-40 meter "bulge" that was only 80m wide.

Setting no mans land to zero doesn't work either, the game keeps bumping it up. Why is there a zero setting if it doesnt work?

I thing the game is perfectly fine as it is. Imagine that if you sneak a single squad up to the other end of the map(quite prossible). it doesn't mean that you have control the area. 2ndly, if all the defender exits the defending area = the attacker wins control the area = operation ends. It will take another operation for the counter-attack(not defending anymore).

Hell trying to do a Stactic defence is really hard. The computer even on 0m no mans land still pushes you back 240m after you stomp his closest unit 400m away.

i even tryed a night assualt to push the line back- HA what a joke that was. I still lost ground.

I guess i have to stick to Destroy maps till this is fixed.