What grass does every one have???

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

I just getting ready for my first TCP/IP Game and I got the new DD grass mod. I am not sure if I like it or not. I think I had the velvet grass but it is much brighter.

So I wondered what all of you prefered and why you think it is better????

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 12-02-2000).]

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

I use Desert Fox's grass. Fits VERY well with the gunslinger subdued mods. I'm not a mjor fan of DD's stuff. The trees are a bit to busy, and the tree bases are just too darkly toned. I used to use Kump's stuff, but found them to dark. DD's snow trees fit better then the origanal. but thats the only stuff of his I use.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Guest Shatter50

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

same here! subdued grass, oh yeah!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey guys were can I get the subdued grass

Guest Shatter50

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I get my grass from my connection in the city. I don't know the name of it but I'll be sure to find out for you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew someone would make this into a refer thing.

Hey Colonel I get mine from my friend at school( College)

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 12-02-2000).]

http://www.gkump.com/cm/Terrain/Misc/misc_terrain.htm

kump's cool website...a new mod is out at CMHQ that people are comparing to DD's.

http://combathq.thegamers.net/index.asp

i haven't seen enough to switch...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 12-02-2000).]

Believe it or not, I stuck with the default grass all along. I found it looked the most realistic to me. All of the other grasses were too detailed and I thought the MOD grass overwhelmed whatever was on it. Gunslinger's was too dull; on a sunny day, it still looked like it was cloudy out. The velvet grass had too much texture in it.....

I took gunslinger's trees, Magua's houses and some other mods to make up the terrain. I feel the grass should be the least detailed of all textures. If you walk out onto a field, take a quick look. I bet you will see that the grass imparts a general color, not a speckled appearance....

Ooops! I'm being long winded..........

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 12-02-2000).]

Velvet grass here. Next best that I've seen is default. Most other grasses that I've looked at don't show terrain elevation very well, though I don't think I've seen the subdued yet.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

I use the gunslinger subdued now, but before that my favorite was the 'bumpy' grass, by Richard Tremblett I think. I may switch back to that for a while just to see the difference. I didn't like the DD grass either, but let's face it, there's no accounting for taste. 90% of what you're lookin at on the screen is grass or snow, so it really has to be better than perfect. I don't have the guts to mess with it myself. It has to look good up close, it has to look good from far away. A daunting task. It would probably look like the surface of Mars if I messed with it.

The real problem with grass is that you need 20 shades of green so one can see terrain elevations from the overhead map. If there was a way to see elevation changes easily, then each square of grass could be the same color and have it's own character, so to speak. Put some flowers in one, a couple rocks in another, etc etc. The best solution would be to have a toggleable grid and 1 color of grass, but that's not possible. Unless someone made a utility that installed grass files ... nah, too cumbersome.

The other thing about grass mods is this. I gotta say, 'yeah, looks good' right from the get go. It has to look better than what I was lookin at before. And since I've already spent 65,000 hours staring at the old grass... smile.gif ...the grass mod has it's work cut out for it, eh? Voilà.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

Hey all, my first post, been lurking a while now, Had CM bout a month. I've become a mod addict in that time, and just recently seduced to the DarkSide, Anyways this my current setup

Gunslinger mod

DD's new trees

Subdued velvet grass

Kumps invisible scattered tree bases

assorted odds and ends pulled from here and there.

I laughed while reading the thread about the Mod manager, it seems I'm one of the ones, who's Manager of choice is Explorer, How did that happen??? lol

Hi-res velvet grass with grids. I prefer the brighter color and the ability to more easily see elevation changes. One disadvantage I've noticed with the grids is that they disappear at resolutions higher than 1152x864. Has anyone else noticed this?

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Shatter50:

If you like the velvet, I'd strongly suggest you try OLD DOG's variant of the velvet. I think he calls it "muted" velvet. It is on KUMP's site. IMO it is the most realistic. You can clearly see change in color between elevations. For instance, elevations at 15-19 start to get "burned out" from sun. Conversely, lower elevations are greener.

The other mods all appear to have been fertilized with a consistent application of "Chem Lawn". Again IMO. Don't mean offend.

As for snow, DD's NEW snow mod (see CMHQ maintained by Madmatt) is now my recommendation. Previously, I would recommend Gunslingers, but it did have funky looking colors if you look close. The advantage of Gunslinger's is it, like OLD DOG's GRASS, showed a graduated change between elevations. Worth considering, however, I thought DD's was a bit more realistic.

I applied GRIDs to both. They do help accent the elevation change and assist in finding nooks and cranies that the infantryman would be looking for. Plus I'm an old SL / ASL fan and the grids give me that old feeling of playing SL.

Lastly, I use alot of KUMP's misc terrain and of course PANZERTRUPPEN's buildings (at CMHQ)

Summary:

OLD DOG - Muted Velvet Grass

DD - Snow and Trees

KUMPs - Misc. Terrain (series of files)

PANZERTRUPPEN's - Buildings

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by bfamily33:

Shatter50:

If you like the velvet, I'd strongly suggest you try OLD DOG's variant of the velvet. I think he calls it "muted" velvet. It is on KUMP's site. IMO it is the most realistic.

Shatter here thanks for the advice but I downloaded DesertFox's Subdued grass last night and I have found a new favorite. It matches the green camo better and brings out a more real feeling to the game now I am thinking of trying the subdued uniforms as well.

One disadvantage I've noticed with the grids is that they disappear at resolutions higher than 1152x864. Has anyone else noticed this?

Well, you know (logically) that they must still be there, yes? I run my game at 1280 x 1024 32 bpp with a modfied Richard Tremblett hi-res subdued velvet w/faded white grids grass set and all's well. Sounds like your system (quite possibly your monitor) is struggling to keep up with the demands you place on it. Afterall, you're asking it to push around a lot of small colored pixels.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bfamily33:

As for snow, DD's NEW snow mod (see CMHQ maintained by Madmatt) is now my recommendation. Previously, I would recommend Gunslingers, but it did have funky looking colors if you look close. The advantage of Gunslinger's is it, like OLD DOG's GRASS, showed a graduated change between elevations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The LOW res snow does indeed show elevation very well, at the cost of realism (a lot of bluish and gray snow). The High res looks good close up, but does not show elevation much at all IMO. I'm currently debating whether to stay with the realistic default or the more practical low res DD.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

I love Old Dog's subdued Richard velvet mod. I love DesertFox subdued. I love gunslinger's mod. I love....

Oh heck, it gets real confusing. I've switched to DD terrain because it looks good overall and its an entire set, with more to come. The number of mods one has to install to get it just right is daunting, and it will even get more complicated in the future.

DD grass doesn't change much with elevations which will disturb some. I never much cared for grids or elevation changes. I never really have had a lot of problems noting hills and valleys.

I admit, the DD grass takes a moment to get used to. But with all the grass mods, one must play the game for awhile before passing judgement.

I think DD's grass brightened things up a notch for me, enough where its still not the original vivid green look but not the dark gunslinger look.

But in the end, its personal taste. One should take the time to try them all. Start with a base mod, such as gunslinger or DD mod pack, then start experimenting with DesertFox, Old Dog, and the other just released Old Dog variants. I would recommend that you copy the CM CD to another "grass" folder on your hard drive, install the mods to it, and experiment in that "sand box".

So today, maybe not tomorrow, I use DD's grass, tree, and snow. For other terrain that DD is currently missing in his pack and which I think fits best (at this time)...

Hedge/Bocage - Gunslinger

Wheat - Tiger

Marsh - Gunslinger

Rough - Tremblett

Brush - Yeates

Water - Lucero

Water(frozen) - Lucero

Dirt Road - Original CM

RR Tracks - Tremblett

As you can see from list above, DD could continue adding to his terrain pack if he wishes. It would be nice if some above was satisfactory to include in the pack. I think terrain packs should be a complete set and folks can substitute here and there.

Wonderful game, isn't it? The idea to open the graphic to the fan base has been a real clever way of getting the faithful even more addicted. And having the ability to choose to one's own taste is commendable.

------------------

Garry Kump

Kump's CM Outpost

Hi,

I use my own grass.

Well, to be honest it is the original that shipped with CM that I then "desaturated" by about 10% or 10 points using Corel's Photo-Paint. I am 100% lacking in any artist skill and had never used Photo-Paint before but found the entire process very straight forward. Some one posted that the "saturation" of the colour was the key, and they were correct. I am about to desaturate it a little more to try it with the new Panzertruppen buildings but will continue to use Magua's buildings most of the time.

All the best,

Kip.

Well, as a little exercise in eating up bandwidth, I decided to generate a "snapshot" set of the primary grass textures being discussed here. Trees and the bocage are the same in all cases as a "reference point", though some can fairly argue that including these (the Rich Tremblett trees) isn't appropriate to match against the "subdued" grasses for visual inspection. Regardless......

1) The stock BTS grass (193K)

4879318_0_5267.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

2) The new "DD" grass (768K)

4879381_0_6933.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

3) Desert Fox's grass (768K)

4879482_0_0455.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

4) Tremblett's "Velvet Texture", slightly revised (193K)

4879703_0_9729.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

5) Old Dog's subdued "Velvet Texture (193K)

4879563_0_4194.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

As others have alluded, it really can be a matter of personal taste. From my view, a happy medium might be found between Desert Fox's and Tremblett's texture styles & colors.