Sunday Drive?

I was just playing around with a couple homemade scenarios and it hit me that one feature I would like to see is an un-interrupted drive.

Huh?

What I mean is that sometimes the blood and pixels have worn me out. I can't bring myself to shoot another thing. However, I have all this beautiful terrain and all these snazzy vehicles! If I drive them around in view 1 it's better than a movie. Surely, there must be some way I can just take the Puma for a spin in the park or take the Crocodile around the block. Or maybe, I can hitch up the halftrack convoy and run 'em around the terrain just like the real thing, except no body is shooting at us!

The only way I have found to do this so far is set up some vehicles on both sides, start a game and then drive whichever ones I want, except that:

-it has to stop every minute as the drive is rolling along

-the other side shoots at me!

-if there is no other side, the game just declares a victory for my side and ends.

How about making a "Sunday Drive" mode where the vehicles run for longer than 1 minute (5, 10 or continuous unless interrupted) and combat is not a consideration at all?

I know, Iknow... ...shades of model trains and all that. Well, damn, so what! I didn't get to play with enough trains when I was young and I want to play with my tanks now! A moving convoy of vehicles looks pretty good in view 1 from about the 3rd or 6th vehicle back.

biggrin.gif

I made a scenario with only unarmed jeeps / Kübelwagen. So as long as you stick to unarmed vehicles no prob.

Now if you want to take the big cats for a stroll, then just make sure the other side is trapped somewhere without LOS.

there.

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

I second this beautiful idea. Sometimes we need a lighthearted time to calm ourselves down and I think it would be unreasonable for BTS to expect us to turn off or leave CM. Also, wouldn't this be a cool feature to check out a map that you're defending and set it up for a truly raucous defense.

"Well, Captain, I've driven all across this blasted country and if we're gonna stop 'em, it'll be right here."

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

A while back, at the far side of a bottle of JD, I made a scenario something like this "Sunday Drive" idea. It's a 4-lane figure-8 racetrack and the participants are 8 US and 8 German trucks. I chose trucks over Jeeps and Kubels because the trucks have the same speed on both sides.

Anyway, the trucks race around for a couple laps in front of empty grandstands. All is peaceful racing mayhem with thrills and spills. But then the CM Hooligans show up. Yup, each side gets a dozen or so snipers. They begin throwing rounds at opposing trucks and each other. Yet more CM Hooligans arrive with 81mm mortars and smoke ammo only to confuse the issue.

What was once a harmless race becomes fearful carnage. Trucks are knocked out and careen into the walls. Drivers are killed and their trucks go wildly out of control until the other crewman takes over. Crews run about the track shooting passing trucks and each other. Now the only rule is to have the last surviving truck.

Anyway, I find it strangely addicting. I've never uploaded it because, well, I didn't want people to think I was that weird. But if you want it, I'll email it to you. I'd appreciate feedback. If there's enough interest, I'll upload it and put you in the credits.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Something as delightfully weird as that should be up on one of the major sites, perhaps a new category of 'novelty' scenarios should be started. I would love to see this.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Thanks for the interest. I've sent the thing to Seanachai, von Brizee, DaveT, and Elijah Meeks (I _hope_ I got Elijah's address correct, it's hard to tell on the profile screen here). Let me know what you think.

This is enough testers for now. If their reports are favorable, I'll upload the thing. Otherwise, this scenario will be condemned to the Graveyard of Hallucinations.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

I made a scenario with only unarmed jeeps / Kübelwagen. So as long as you stick to unarmed vehicles no prob.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also use this trick to smooth out any 'wrinkles' that I may have overlooked on roads adjacent to elevation changes.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

Anyway, I find it strangely addicting. I've never uploaded it because, well, I didn't want people to think I was that weird. But if you want it, I'll email it to you. I'd appreciate feedback. If there's enough interest, I'll upload it and put you in the credits.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should up load it

Now that DOES sound like fun!

I would love to see more fun and (well sort of constructive) things to do with CM.

The Sunday Drive Idea is cool.

Playing with the scenario editor is fun, but there arn't enough building blocks. smile.gif

I for one LOVED Sim City (I was almost as addicted to it as I am to CM) so I ask...

Where are the.....

Gardens (city gardens)

urban water fountians

urban Statues

urban Museums

water falls

Barns

barn yards (did some one say COWS ???)

Water towers

wind mills

Cranes

industrial yards

railway stations (They did have LOTs of those in WWII Europe)

Airports

Docks (sea ports?)

Warehouses?

I think it is REALLY fun to Build cities and country scapes in the scenario builder but there aren't enough building blocks.

But then I'm the same guy that Loves to Play with Kai's Power Tools and KTP Bryce to build

landscapes and seasides....

oh well

I know a GREAT military strategy game when I see one too!

Thanks for the rant....

now back to PBEM.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Now if you want to take the big cats for a stroll, then just make sure the other side is trapped somewhere without LOS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another option is to edit the tanks to have zero ammo for their main guns. As long as they're buttoned nothing seriosly will happen.

Cheers

Olle