CM and "Other" Wargames & other things of interest. :)

Guest Gunslinger

Guest Gunslinger

Hello, first off, just want to say hello. I'm new to this forum and want to get a few things off my chest.

I read about 3 or 4 hundred of the posts before bothering to post because I know how people hate newbies asking over-glazed questions so I want bother you with those silly questions except ONE.

I see folks were asking about full movie replays and I DID do a search with "entire" & "movie" and read where it *might* become a feature in CM1. But, I could not find if it ever DID become a feature. I went straight from CM 1 to 1.5 so I didn't have the benefit of seeing if the other patches added this feature... So.. did it ever become possible?

Next thing, I was reading a post and saw this qoute from BTS:

"And if someone thinks we don't have

enough "flash bang", I hearby sentence you

to 6 hours of playing West Front or PITS"

I just had to laugh my a$$ off. I am new to wargames. I do a lot of flight sims so I'm not new to the idea, just the execution. Anyway, since I'm 27 approaching 30 (Nooooooooooo!!! Gunslinger screams) I felt it was time to broaded my horizons some and try some more *adult* games (no gutter jokes wink.gif) so I picked up Europe in Flames by Talonsoft since it had East Front 1, East Front 2, and West Front. What better way to get into wargaming then that?

Ha! I say.. wake me when it's over.. I really tried my best to enjoy these games. I read up and military doctrine, learned about flanking, pincher (sp?) moves, ambushes, different vehicles used in WW2 and the whole 9 yards... But my God it was just so boring.

Boring with a capital B.

Then I saw Combat Mission. Oh my.. Now THIS is what I was looking for. All the bliss of what a wargame should be and the eye-candy of a flight sim rolled into one. I have read the complaints (cough killmore cough) and I have read BTS's responses. Coming from a niche hobby like flight sims let me tell you nay-sayers a thing or two. I have NEVER seen a developer spend as much time or energy as BTS in answering questions, responding to w-w-whiners (cough kill cough more), and generalry trying to make this game enjoyable. Take that for what is worth but I call 'em like I see them and you guys should be thankful that BTS isn't acting like the over-payed suits at Jane's or Hasbro. Most computer developers are owned by big corporations who think about one thing. The bottom dollar. "Let's see how many Pokemon and Barbie's Playhouse softwares we can dump on the stupid public"is the general consensus of the Gaming industry. Instead of crapping on worthy developers like BTS, let's pay our respects to them and support them. Sure I would love to have a real-time full war on my computer, but until 20,000 GHZ machines are in the sub $1000 price range it aint gonna happen jack.

And like someone else said, a full-time war in real-time would be sensory overload. I agree wholeheartdly. You can't be 50 places at one time. Try playing Command and Conquer for a few hours and see how long it takes you to get Carpel Tunnel Sydrome from all the mouse clicking frag fests you have to do just have your stupid AI shoot at a tank driving over there men.

Anyway, enough ranting for now, I just wanted to put a new perspective on some of you old dogs and let you know that your hobby isn't dead but if some of you (who shall remain nameless, killmore) don't stop demanding your cake and eat it too, all your going to be left with is the "Barbie's Gi-Joe Attack" and "Pokeman Goes to War".

------------------

Gunslinger ;=-

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 08-28-2000).]

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>CM BORG??? we are waiting....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's really slacking off. C'mon, Borgie, we've got fresh meat here!

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Hello Gunslinger,

I remember you from the comp.sys...flight-sim newsgroup. Glad to see that you have found Combat Mission. This game has saved me from the agony of having to buy a new box. It's quite nice to be able to play a game in a 3D environment at 1024x768 that doesn't bog down the system.

The last flight sims that I've had fun playing are Europeon Air War, Longbow 2, F15. As much as I loved Falcon 4, the game just didn't mate with my box well.

I guarantee that your experience with CM will be a good one and that you'll be begging for more. You may not (cough) even miss the flight sim genre at all. biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum and spread the news far and wide. When you get up to speed, send me a PBEM file setup patched to the latest version and we'll have a go at it. cool.gif

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Hi Gunslinger

Are you the same Gunslinger as James 'Gunslinger' Wohlever?

I remember some good fellows Like James Wohlever and Pierre Legrand back at the end of 1999, before hell broke loose at comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim frown.gif

I had Never been there since cool.gif It is all in the past. Just some good fellows forced to leaving a NG which they were the backbone of. Hope you never experince the same attitude on this forum my friend, though there may be some Weeds smile.gif

I'am proud to have you amoung us smile.gif

Yours sincerely

Henrik Malmvig

I agree with you about East/West front. I used to love these games and now that I have played CM, I can't stand them. Don't have them on my hard drive anymore. Talonsoft has one game that I think is still good and that is Operational Art of War-Wargame of the Year Edition. It is a strategical wargame series with many, many scenarios to choose from. It presents war from the Commanding General's point of view and is a good companion to CM for that reason. The CM series is probably the only wargame that I'm going to buy for quite some time. Welcome to the family.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

In my opinion-the free game Steel Panthers:World at War is alot of fun(it doesnt have the great feel of CM though).theres alot of diverse battles with different fronts and units.from what i read on gamespot,one of the developers(Wild Bill) also did some scenarios for CM.check it out!(and hey its free legally)

Indeed, Mystiverse, both games are a great deal of fun. I seem to alternate right now between the two and enjoy them both immensely.

Each has a different approach to war. With SPWAW being at no cost to the gaming world, (except perhaps for ordering a CD and covering the cost of the CD and the shipping and handling, but there are other ways).

This is a CM forum, of course, but it does not hurt to mention other wargames that are playable, entertaining and fun.

If anyone should want to take a look at SPWAW, it's easy enough...

http://spwaw.thegamers.net

And if not, that is okay too biggrin.gif

WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

hey bill! nice to talk to developers that care!im still waiting for my copy of CM to arrive so im a little off the beaten path.as ive read -your involved with both games development so i thought there was a quality of design inherent to both CM and SPWAW.(not trying to take anything away from CM crew)thanks for both!

In fairness to TS I couldnt get into Eastfront 1 or 2 either but then I played Rising Sun and REALLY enjoyed it. While I still intensely dislike the Easfront series interface Rising Sun really was a fun game for me.

Bill is right though the other ww2 game thats well worth playing is Steel Panthers. Great stuff. I can honestly say Steel Panthers has never left my hardrive ever. So far CM has also become a permanent resident on my drive too, I see no sign of these two "apps" ever leaving it.

_dumbo

I love the Campaign series, TOAOW and I am a Sim Jock myself. I never liked jets, though...well, except for Mig Alley. Fire and forget is just not my thing smile.gif.

CM is a special game, and I agree that it's nice to see a company follow through so well on their product. What sucks is that we know the difference at all. For as much as I have spent on computer games over the years I just came to expect and work around bugs, sloppiness and poor AI. CM is as stable as Starcraft but with tons more depth and playability.

And yet the patches keep coming. I hated Screaming Demons Over Europe because, although it looked so nice, it was just a huge mess. The only real improvements I ever saw were 3rd party. It was a damned shame, because it had such promise, you know?

I would still like to see a few things in CM, but honestly it's just fine if they never change a thing...well, TCI/IP, but hey... smile.gif

In fact, this game has completely changed the way I will look at all further purchases: I know what my $50 is worth now, so stick your half-finished, bug-ridden, bad-playing "Game" straight up your A**!!!!

Ehem. You get the point....

Guest Gunslinger

Hey all,

I didn't realize some of my old pals were in here. Yes I'm James "Gunslinger" Wohlever from the comp.flight-sim NG glory days.

Nice to see some old faces in here.

I also have a website, although at the moment it is dedicated to Falcon 4, I plan on creating some 3rd party things for CM in the near future wink.gif

Techware

http://techware.gtinsider.com

------------------

Gunslinger ;=-

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 08-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunslinger:

Hey all,

I didn't realize some of my old pals were in here. Yes I'm James "Gunslinger" Wohlever from the comp.flight-sim NG glory days.

Nice to see some old faces in here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never been there, didn't do that, but I just love that wargaming folk from all over are making their way here, and making this game part of their experience. Welcome, Gunslinger.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.