How to get Bunkers to hold fire?

We've tried the 'Hide' and we've tried Ambush, but it seems that Bunkers blast away at the first thing that enters their LOS. Its extremely annoying to have your Wooden MG Bunker fire at the first glimpse of a team 500m away and then get blasted instantaneously by overwatching AFVs.

This is pertaining to hidden Bunkers especially, as they should NOT be opening up on anything that moves. It seems the only way we can get them be effective is to tuck them in out of the way places where they CANT see anything. Unfortunatly, this isnt always possible or desirable.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanx,

Talenn

You must be using the ambush command incorrectly.

I can have my MG bunkers easily hold fire until the enemy are 30 or 40 metres away.

BTW in CM Hidden tells the unit "don't fire on any unit you can't effectively engage".

An MG bunker can effectively engage almost anything at any range.. That is your problem.. Use the ambush command to hide it.

The Ambush marker doesn't do anything unless a unit is targetting it, correct? For instance, the Ambush marker doesn't list which unit placed it and it can't be deleted. So for the bunker you'd need to set the Ambush marker (from any unit menu) and then target it with the units whose fire you want to control? Couldn't you use the ambush marker then to control where your AFV fires?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

You must be using the ambush command incorrectly.

I can have my MG bunkers easily hold fire until the enemy are 30 or 40 metres away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For regular infantry (note the lower case "R") to hold fire, the have to under command (true?). Does the same go for teams? And if not, do they do a better job if they ARE under command?

Robo- Ambush markers are unit-specific. There should be a bright orange line running from an ambush market to the unit that set the marker. As far as I know, there's no way to have a unit use another unit's ambush marker. You'd have to use two overlapping markers.

Are you maybe thinking of Target Reference Points? The symbol for TRPs is quite a bit like ambush markers, and those can be targeted by multiple units.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Fionn:

Makes sense, but unfortunately, non-ordnance Pillboxes and Bunkers cant form their own Ambush points. This makes them essentially helpless unless an Infantry leader is up there to direct them.

IMO, they should have the ability to form an Ambush point of their own. After all, they would usually be given certain area to cover and often be pre-sited etc. Making them be dependant upon external leaders kind of defeats the purpose of them IMO...ie an independant line of defense.

Any chance we'll see the inclusion in a later version?

Thanx for the help!

Talenn

Speaking of bunkers, wouldn't it be cool if

you could store units in them (like they

rush inside while there is artillery raining

down) and then burst out back into the field

when the actual attack begins (hmmm CM2?)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Robo- Ambush markers are unit-specific. There should be a bright orange line running from an ambush market to the unit that set the marker. As far as I know, there's no way to have a unit use another unit's ambush marker. You'd have to use two overlapping markers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A squad can't ambush on its own,it needs a commander to issue the ambush and needs to target the ambush.The exception is teams and individual units such as MG's , bazooka's ,etc.They are able to ambush on their own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coe:

Speaking of bunkers, wouldn't it be cool if

you could store units in them (like they

rush inside while there is artillery raining

down) and then burst out back into the field

when the actual attack begins (hmmm CM2?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errr..I don't think so.

It's not like the bunker is a bomb shelter.

What are the guys outside gonna do? Tell the MG/gun crew inside to get out so they can come in and hide? No.

What's the size of one of those things?

Certainly not big enough to fit an entire squad in a pillbox. Especially one that's manned.

No, if you have bumkers in a mission, you've got foxholes too. That's where everyone else hides.

I disagree, there were fortifications which

were designed to help you better weather

bombardments than a foxhole. Pill boxes

are one thing where those are for weapons

but some of the larger bunkers, and perhaps

some of the sheltered fortifcations that

were built on the eastern front?

Of course the question is if you are caught

in the open and the shells start falling can you reach it in time.....RUN!

Coe,

My unfortunate experiences from Valley of Trouble tell me that over 75% of bunker losses are to artillery bombardments. Wooden cannot take any 81mm mortar hits and conceret ones cannot hold any artillery hits. So, if any person who wished to bury under conceret or wood, bunker is the right place to be. frown.gif

Griffin @ lunch.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Anyone can use any ambush marker.

Provided the unit is in command range (if infantry)

and the marker is close enough.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Hey Loark!

Nope, too bad I am still sticking with the old 1.00 for all VoT pbem and life is hard for German.... frown.gif

I really forget how I should appreicate the improvements of 1.02.

Griffin going to see X-Men.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(