Bad tracer graphics, "core" units, gameyness, and other controversies.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

I couldn't agree more with this poster.

Combat Mission will never be considered good, without the following:

Campaigns, "core" units, blood and body parts on the ground, B-17s, actual ships off shore, BFG9000s, magic coins, potions, scrolls, word puzzles, X-wings, real-time multi-user options, first person perspectives, sex scenes, and the chance to buy a freaking Brummbar! AND ALL IN ONE GAME FOR LESS THAN $35 (INCLUDING SHIPPING)!!!!!!!!

...Otherwise, I'm not buying it until they issue at least 1 patch, and come out with CM(pi).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Havermeyer, have you gone loopy?

The only thing that CM needs (other than more realistic tracers {everyone knows that, duh!}) is bicycles and horses. And I heard that Hitler drove a Pinto, so we need one of those too. We also need a whole lot more people playing the 1.02 Demo who have no concept of the majesty of the entire game. Those are the people with the most insight and experience, and therefore their opinions are tantamount to the success of the game.

Mauser Markus - What these clowns aren't telling you is that tracers were upgraded to be more realistic in version 1.05, and then retweaked in the recent 1.1 Beta. You can only see them with the full version and the patches though. Sorry. There are also a handful of Tracer mods out there. If I'm not mistaken, Tiger (one of the better AFV modders around here) created tracers that look just like clumps of **** being fired back and forth. It's great! It looks like a great big **** fight, and is considered one of the game's bigger selling points now. Rumors say that CM2 will not only have user customizable Operations where you get to create and name every member of your squad (plus adding physical characteristics {not yet ironed out}), but they will also incorporate the sliging of bull**** between fighting forces. IMHO, that will be fantastic! Rumor has that if you beat the game in Operation mode, you get a secret code so that you can unlock the M1 Abrams and re-play the campaign with it. It's tough to win though, because you have to make Hitler kill himself, which is tough because Hitler has over 10,000 hit points.

Anyway, I think you'll like CM2 a lot better!

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

[This message has been edited by Croda (edited 12-15-2000).]

And Hiram! What are you doing ripping off my 'Hi Mom!' line?

Geesh!

------------------

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

And Hiram! What are you doing ripping off my 'Hi Mom!' line?

Geesh!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're kidding, right?? I can't post something without it ending up in your damn sig. Thats a friggen essay, not a sig.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Go back to the stone age Maxismus maby then someone will like you...or just beat you down with a big stick! Anyway how dare you say I do druges! And I don't need glasses I happen to have 20 20 vision how about you?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well, I said it once, and he still doesn't get it and accused me of only playing one side. So unless he's smokin' somefink, he's lost it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geesus.. Is it really THAT important? Just let it drop.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

20/20 vision

and scorred a 20 on hs speelng tets

------------------

I believe Coolguy is correct, since I also remember reading accounts of paratroops seeing the "red" german tracers...

Now then...

What kind of a goofball list of complaints is that???

So CM's not for you. Ok, go play Army Men or some such. But to come here complaining about all the things that people LOVE about CM is just plain...

No wargame can ever be a 100% representation of life... however CM attempts to represent everything as realistically as it can. This is what CM is... the BEST WWII wargame ever.

Your post basically goes against EVERYTHING that BTS stands for... if I understand the company statement correctly.

They ARE NOT targeting the mass audience. They ARE giving wargamers what wargamers want!

Sigh...

Jeff, you having a rough day?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Hi Dad!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to give a shout out to my homeys at the library in the History section. Remember to always put the book back!!

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Just wait a sec, you've all got your priorities WAY wrong. Mauser Markus raises an important point, in that the tracers look like bright yellow fence posts. They should indeed glow like real tracers and leave a glare trail. I also think they should leave a little puff of smoke when they hit the ground, and maybe singe the grass a bit.

The individual fragments of a grenade should also be modelled, as should empty cartridge cases, and of course blood and damage is another issue altogether. We should be able to see soldiers' expressions, so we can tell if Pvt. John has got a Dear John letter (poor guy, he gets a lot of those) and is thus unfit for combat.

Most importantly of all, the game will be irredeemably unfinished without bump-mapping and ray-tracing. I expect to see lens flare when I'm looking towards the sun or at a bright explosion.

With these improvements Combat Mission would at last be a game worth playing.

David

New map!button.gif

Well, whatever.

Personally, I don't care about any the suggestions offered in the first post-- if none of them happen, I won't lsoe sleep.

I'm not playing the game to be entertained by eye candy and it never occurred to me to change the graphics.

(although, really, kudos to you mod guys. some really amazing work, and when I get more computer than I have now, Ill install some just for ****s and giggles.)

If you guys want to grab that newbie poster by the short/curlys and then beat him like a rented mule, hey -- knock yourselves out.

But I for one am _gratified_ by the appearance of this post. It means that one more person has seen the site, and downloaded the demo, which could mean that the (drumroll) audience is expanding.

Since BTS (rightly) doesn't share their financials with us, we don't have that many ways to judge the soundness of their business, and since Im hoping it succeeds and continues to grow I'll take any evidence I can get.

If that includes dumb posts from newbies or pissed off delegates from the "twitch crowd" so what.

I'm just happy to know that more people are seeing, buying or playing the game, even if they can't chime in with an informed comment on the velocity of the Panther's 88mm gun.

If this guy hated it, well, maybe he'll pass it on to his brother or his friend who will love it. That way, yin and yang stay balanced, and the world will not explode.

**Sigh** I know the damn panther doesn't have an 88 mm gun, ok.

Guest Madmatt

You know, someone new pops in and makes very reasonable comments and suggestions and you guys go off on some pseudo-Ken Kessey wonderland bus tripfest.

Let me address the following people, in no order of importance:

Rob/1: Sorry my young friend but you are wrong. Allies use Yellow tracers in the game and Axis use a off-red tracer color. I know this as it was my suggestion from about a year ago. You need to doublecheck a little more before you begin to argue something.

Maximus: Haven't you taken your Ridalin today Dave? Leave the kid alone, he tries yet you love to poke at him with your verbal stick like a kid teasing a neighborhood dog. Well stop it.

Maximus and Rob/1: BOTH OF YOU, KNOCK IT OFF. This board will function perfectly well without either of your inane arguments and to be quite frank I am getting pretty damn tired of BOTH of you. This is it, you guys get into it one more time, ONE MORE TIME and your both gone! Understand?!? If I even see a HINT of you going at each other, YOU ARE BOTH GONE. Is it fair? Nope, its not...Deal with it.

The rest of you: Grow up...This isn't the Cesspool and new visitors need to be treated with tolerance and respect for their questions and comments. In that way not only the Cm community, but your pool of fresh game opponents will grow and prosper.

Mauser: Thanks for the comments and my apologies for the rude reception. Sometimes the guys here just like to rattle cages some. Now then, lets go over some of your points.

#1 Tracer Color: Okay, tracers are not normally white, they are more often colored in real life and you will get Orange, yellow, red, blue green and purple among some other more rare colors I have seen used. You see white as most WWII movie footage is in Black and White or taken during the day. At night the color of the burning phosphors in the round will usually show its true color more obviously. In the game what you are seeing are not tracers as such but indicators that allow a player to quickly see who is engaging who. Even the cannon and mortar shells are much larger than in reality and this is done to aid the player. Call it a game device if you will, but it is one of the few.

Now then, about options. We have a very firm design mentality that we employ when doing a game. At it's core is the fact that a military game, when done right and with as much realism that is feasible at the time, WILL be fun by its very nature since this is what every wargamer since HG Wells has set out to do. We aren't out to make a game that will run neck and neck with Age of Empires in total sales. We set out to make the best damn wargame, EVER and we succeeded in my not so humble opinion.

The very fact the the game IS so good, and you obviously enjoy it, is proof that we do in fact know what we are doing. The overwhelming success of the game (both critically and commercially) also stands as a testament to our business and development gaming model.

We will not add something purely for the sake of fun unless it can be done without getting in the way of work which helps make the game as realistic as we can. We add cool stuff all the time, the newer Explosion graphics were an example and were able to be encorporated fairly easy. We are very aware of the impact that features like this provide. But, at the very core of Combat Mission must be first and foremost the desire to "get it right". Anything else, and we would be lying to ourselves and worse, to you the customer.

Now then, having said that, we are very open to suggestions that add to overall realism that we strive for and we are willing to add more "Gee Whiz" stuff for the future (hey, we like pretty explosions too you know!) but as I said above, we have to make sure all the nuts and bolts of an accurate simulation, or as accurate as current technology will allow, are in place before we let loose with the right side of our brains. smile.gif

We can't currently simulate reality with a 100% 1 to 1 accuracy nor can we give 100% accurate results 100% of the time. Nothing in this world can, yet. But every day we get a little closer.

Thank you for your comments Mauser, and I hope you enjoy the game.

Now, to prevent the detritus of this thread to seep out I am going to lock it up.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-15-2000).]