Any big name publishers got in contact with BTS?

Question for Steve/Charles, have any big name publishers tried to get in contact with you so they can sign you up for CM2. I was just wondering because the game seems to be such a success and I would be surprised if no-one didn't.

Even if so - Steve, Charles and all the others should stay independent!!!!!!!!!

The oeconomical situation is very important for any company - but to be free in your decisions is important too - as we saw with CM.

BTS go on!

And if we can by bonds - please let me know.

Greetings from Germany

Jochen

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owen:

Question for Steve/Charles, have any big name publishers tried to get in contact with you so they can sign you up for CM2. I was just wondering because the game seems to be such a success and I would be surprised if no-one didn't.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve mentioned at some point that they had been contacted by a publisher before the release, but told them to bugger off (not in that language of course, but I guess that was the gist). Why would they want to go with a publisher now, when they have jut delivered qualitative proof that they have a working business model?

------------------

Andreas

A big name publisher wouldn't be able to bring anything to the game itself which would remotely justify what they would try to take away profitwise.

If what BTS is doing now works (...and it looks like it is) it doesn't really make any sense to make things more complicated.

Hopefully what we're seeing now is the beginning of a trend.

p.

my thoughts are to stay the way they are as all profit/control etc is theres .but going with a big name once you have a hit could also be a good idea, as once you have a hit you can write your own ticket . but one prob is now the big guys know CM is selling well, they can try copy the basic ideas and cut in on CM sales.this is how the music industry works and i would guess the same thing goes on in the games industry.just my thoughts on BTS situation i wish them all the best

cheers

Also, just because CM is a relative hit being sold through battlefront, doesn't mean it would bring the kind of sales a big publisher expects of a "hit". Of course from bigtime's pov, this doesn't matter since they'll probably see a heck of alot more $/copy from independant sales.

Chris

Two rumors:

1) Atomic plans 3D CC6. For this purpose they are talking about buying out BTS.

2) Microsoft (the old Atomic pupet master) wants to buy out BTS. They gave them an offer they can't refuse.

Now that I scared you...

I made the above two rumors up!

I gotta chime in:

<H1>Don't do it!</H1>

The best thing about the recent advancements in technology is that you don't need the big companies in the suits to get things done anymore. We don't have to be hostages of the big book publishers, media organizations, retail companies, etc., because we can get all that online now.

Even though it nearly killed me to wait so long for CM, it is a quality product that was worth waiting for. I hate to think of all the games I've bought over the years from the "Big Boys" that were often more expensive than CM and were absolute crap because the Big Boys wanted to get it out the door and get my money--which they unfortunately succeeded in too many times!

Stay independent, BTS!

Dar

[This message has been edited by Dar (edited 06-27-2000).]

Actually BTS doesnt have to "sell out" to get their game in the store. They dont have to deal with a game publisher as there are distribution companies that do it for you (for example Lucasarts uses a distribution company). In addition publishers such as EA do "publishing partnership" programs which allow you to pick their services like a menu, manual printing, box manufacture, cd duplicating, distribution etc. For each item they charge an extra % of the sell price.

Now BTS has some capital they might consider one of these options, it certainly isnt as profitable per unit as direct order but it could be useful to BTS to gain extra sales once the internet wargamer base has been saturated with CM.

cheers

_dumbo

I wouldn't want to see BTS ever have anything less than absolute control

over their own product rights, design and release dates. Anything else

would be a disaster for wargamers. Suits can almost never be trusted over

the long haul. They have proven this many times over the years in the

gaming industry. The reason that CM is so great is because Charles and

Steve had complete say over exactly how the game would be made and

they also made their own release schedule without any suits trying

to tell them what to do. This complete freedom is *essential* for

the CM series to continue to be the best wargame series ever.

And I wouldn't worry about competition from big game companies, they

don't stand a *chance* to beat CM in realism or AI. Lol. biggrin.gif

CM doesn't need the big boys, it's already a huge hit and it hasn't been

out two weeks yet. And it will only get more popular when CM2 arrives. smile.gif