Ladders? pros and cons

Greetings all.

I know of three ladders for CM.

Rugged defense

Grognards ladder

CMHQ annex ladder.

Just wondering if any of the guys playing on them had any comments pro or con.

Some of my own thoughts..

I'm only on the CMHQ ladder.

Pros:

Lots of players.

Seems easy to us.

Calculations take a lot into account.

Cons:

Seems only 40 or so people are using it.

Not sure the calculations are correct, (but without a lot of users, who knows?)

The Grognard site:

Not a memeber, But I've spent some time looking. Covers a lot of games, but is an invite only ladder. Not sure how many CM players are there ect...

Rugged defense.

Haven't got much information here either.

Hopefully this thread will let some people that are using them share their thoughts.

Thanks

Lorak

------------------

Lorak : proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

Guest Germanboy

Lorak, am on the CMHQ ladder too, but don't trust the calculations. I had some very odd results, and any inquiries about it on the board have not been answered, so now I pretty much ignore it. Post most of my games on the RD ladder, but I have not even taken the time to understand the system correctly. Have not looked at the Grognard's site.

------------------

Andreas

About the CMHQ Ladder,

The glitch in calculations is my fault. Something crept into the code, and I've been really busy this summer and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, and for that I apologize. What is going to happen is I am going to replace the algorithm with another one (that takes into account the same factors but dosen't have a bug in it redface.gif) and re-run through all the games, so everything will be happy and lovely. Sorry I've been out of circulation for a while. I've been out of town for a couple weeks, and working too. No one will have to re-enter games, and the ladder will be much more accurate. I should have that fixed in about a week to let me test the new formula I am going to use. It is:

PlayerPoints is divided by 2.5 if he is the attacker.

OpponnentPoints is divided by 2.5 if he is the attacker.

Change in ladder rank = (PlayerScore - OpponnentScore) * (1 + (BalanceModifier / Throttle))

where

BalanceModifier = ((OpponnentPoints - PlayerPoints) + (OpponnentRank - PlayerRank))

and

Throttle is simply a constant to keep the ladder speend under controll.

- Bill Carey

I can only recommend the Grognard's ladder. There is a growing number of CM gamers there, and they all are highly skilled wargamers, too. That's the upside of an invitation only ladder, I'd say. For people looking for some serious challenge, I can only recommend to take the trouble and try to get an invitation. It's not that hard.

As for the CMHQ ladder: I've had my trouble with it, too. Won a game and lost 900 points or something after reporting it... very questionable...

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

I can only recommend the Grognard's ladder. There is a growing number of CM gamers there, and they all are highly skilled wargamers, too. That's the upside of an invitation only ladder, I'd say. For people looking for some serious challenge, I can only recommend to take the trouble and try to get an invitation. It's not that hard.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's easier than you think... Panzer88Meyer (he's a member here) gave an open invitation a few weeks back to all the BTS forum members. (He's the CO of thegrognards) When you hit the recruiter's page, dial him up as the refering member. They are also working towards hosting CM mods and scenarios. For me, the big plus is you only have to have one match every three months to remain 'active'. (so a busy family life isn't such a handicap as it can be with some ladders.)

Check us out... tell'em Tailz sent ya!

wink.gif

Well, I'm a member of the RD ladder. If your looking for simplicity, this is the place. It's not very detailed, but easy to figure out. Win percentage (based solely on win/loss) times number of wins doubled. You also get bonus points if you beat someone higher ranked than you AT THE TIME you start your PBEM game. You need to complete 3 games before your name shows on the ladder list.

So, here it is.

You win 2 games and lose 2. That's a win percentage of 50 percent.

50 x 4 (your wins doubled) = 200. If you played someone say 10 spots higher than you and won, than you would add the 10 on to get 210. The bonus points are cumulative.

As I said, simple but not detailed. If you beat someone 99-1, it doesn't take that into consideration, only your victory. Your points raise and lower as you win and lose games.

I too am a member of the CMHQ ladder, however have not played a ranked game there as from what I have heard from the postings here on the board.

Hope that helps.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.