Opinions wanted on the best tanks CM

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

Recenetly I started a new operation. I have a large German tank and mech force then a smaller but more powerful tanks for the Allied side. My problem is even though the Allied have better units the size of the German force overwhelms the smaller Allied forces. So instend of more work on the operation, I decided to ask you guys what you think the best tanks are.

Would like to hear your favorite tanks and vehicles and reasons why you think they are good or bad.

Also bad tanks and vehicle info would be of help.

Before the search guys come out, yes I do have all the spec and info on tanks and vehicles but would still like other members thoughts.

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Easy, you have it backwards. Large American force, smaller, more powerful German force.

Hey Slapdragon

I am making this Operation because all the battles and Ops I have ever seen are always one sided for the Allied forces. So I decided to reverse the role just for my own fun. I still plan on playing as Allies but for once would like to face a larger force than what I have.

You're missing his point. First, there are always more allies because historically, that's the way it was.

The reason for that was simple: the allies planned it that way. The Sherman line of tanks was cheaper, lighter, faster, and disposible. If 3 shermans were knocked out to take down a tiger, so be it, that's how it was planned. You can't "turn the tables" and have a valid battle; the German tanks are _always_ better than the allied tanks, 1v1. They are slow, deadly, behemouths. If it there were EVER equal numbers of tanks in a battle, the allies would have lost, tank for tank, the Germans were just better equipped.

I don't see your operation ever balancing well, there aren't really any "in-between" German tanks, only really weak ones that aren't really useful in combat, and their standard top of the line, Sherman munching, big ones.

D:

Ah Grendel, you now allow me to bring up the famous quote by a high ranking German Officer after the war that; One German tank was worth ten American tanks, but the problem was they always sent eleven. Okay audience, for one million CM points, who was it that made this quote?

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grendel:

You're missing his point. First, there are always more allies because historically, that's the way it was.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Always?"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Always?" What about the start of the Ardennes offensive? The Germans had numerical superiority at the point of attack. That's just the first example that comes to mind.

Kitty

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

Would like to hear your favorite tanks and vehicles and reasons why you think they are good or bad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couple of Jumbo76's or Super Pershings should give the allies the edge. smile.gif

Doesn't make for historical battle, but the roles would be reversed

for sure. German hordes against allied übertanks. biggrin.gif

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

The reason for that was simple: the allies planned it that way. The Sherman line of tanks was cheaper, lighter, faster, and disposible. If 3 shermans were knocked out to take down a tiger, so be it, that's how it was planned. You can't "turn the tables" and have a valid battle; the German tanks are _always_ better than the allied tanks, 1v1. They are slow, deadly, behemouths. If it there were EVER equal numbers of tanks in a battle, the allies would have lost, tank for tank, the Germans were just better equipped.

I don't see your operation ever balancing well, there aren't really any "in-between" German tanks, only really weak ones that aren't really useful in combat, and their standard top of the line, Sherman munching, big ones.

D:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure Grendel

The Allies had more material on their hands. But I think it is quite a different matter to have the material at disposal and to have it at the hotspots. To gain local superiority in one area was quite the concept of the german mobile defence. Even when you play CM as attacker a good defending player might be able to catch your forces off guard and outnumber your forces at some point.

I think it is not unrealistic for CM's scale to create an op where the germans have the advantage of numbers.

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 09-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One German tank was worth ten American tanks, but the problem was they always sent eleven. Okay audience, for one million CM points, who was it that made this quote? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll guess Gen Fritz Bayerlien.

cheers

chaos

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

I am almost sorry for even asking for suggestions. Yes I know how WWII played out and the differences between Allied forces and German forces. All you guys are to willing to ridicule.

I am simply making this OP for my own entertainment. I am really tired of the same old Ops and Battles were Allies out number

the Germans by overwhelming odds.

Excuse me for trying to make an Op that is different from the rest. I am not conserned

that the Op is not Historically correct.

Again this is for my own entertainment.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Callmeyer:

Does no one have an opinion about which tanks are best in CM? I was hoping to hear some opinions on this topic when I wandered into the thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "BEST?" Do you mean the most effective taking into account R&D, production, and operational maintenance costs? Or...do you mean the ass kickens't steel monster on the battlefield at that moment?

------------------

"Then we shall fight in the shade." (Greek general's comment upon being told that the Persian archers could blot-out the sun with their arrows.)

[This message has been edited by Turret Ring (edited 09-25-2000).]

Does no one have an opinion about which tanks are best in CM? I was hoping to hear some opinions on this topic when I wandered into the thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to go with the King Tiger or possibly the Pershing as being the best tanks in CM1. Maybe the JSIII will assume the mantle in CM2? wink.gif

Guest Shatter50

Hey Tom

I know what you mean I thought I would get some help about the tanks in CM so far only ridicule and useless info has come my way.

No hard feeling to any above but I would like some specific info on Pros and Cons of the tanks of CM. biggrin.gif

Some previous threads on the subject:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010218.html

Definitely try out as many tanks as possible in QBs vs the AI. It'll give you a good feel for what you like and don't like. And play Wild Bill's Wittmann scenario (Villers-Bocage Tiger!) over and over as Germans. Even though you're only playing with one tank type, the tactics you use to win translate well to other AFVs.

I'm currently in my 'British tank w/ 95mm gun' period. But tastes do change. smile.gif

- Chris

My earlier post was a serious one.

You could also try Churchill VII, pit it against PzIV's and

it really shines.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Guest *Captain Foobar*

King Tigers and Pershings are SO easy to counter on maps with any considerable terrain. They end up stumbling around the map trying to make themsselves useful.

I kill Churchills with fausts, Super-Pershings with Puppchens,and King Tigers with Hellcats.

I laugh in the face of Uber Armor. Speed, mobility, flexibilty is where its at....

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Jarmo:

My earlier post was a serious one.

You could also try Churchill VII, pit it against PzIV's and

it really shines.

Hey Jarmo I got it thanks for the informative and non negative reply

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

No hard feeling to any above but I would like some specific info on Pros and Cons of the tanks of CM. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh. In that case. The Hitzer is one of my favorites. It's dirt cheap, hard to hit, has a thick hide (in the front anyway), and has a nasty little 75 that kicks butt. smile.gif

------------------

"Then we shall fight in the shade." (Greek general's comment upon being told that the Persian archers could blot-out the sun with their arrows.)