Old vets of board VS Newbies

Guest Mortiis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

Well the release of the game and the input of the sudden influx of so called newbies has had a nice effect called 1.03. OBVIOUSLY it wasnt play tested against the AI thouroughly or issues like reality on the battlefield werent addressed. Take credit where credits due and take blame where blames due and show us that you are a man.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really need to chill out.

Just enjoy the game and this board. Don't be one of those yappy little dogs that nips at the heels of those it doesn't like.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would even go so far as to say that the South had far superior commanders and troops than the North.

the above line taken from An earlier post from NCrawler.

Im not missing the point of the main topic here. With this many replys there is bound to be some side discussions.

I cant disagree the south had better commandrs early and mid Civil war. But as far as troops go, I have to disagree. The southern troops had the bennifit of surving under commanders who for the most part, knew how to use them. This directly effected the troop moral. Gen speaking I feel troop quality was very close if not even. The big factor were poor northern commanders.

------------------

Semper Fi.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

You really need to chill out.

Just enjoy the game and this board. Don't be one of those yappy little dogs that nips at the heels of those it doesn't like. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Horse

I hate this expression "you really need". I have grocery clerks telling me "you really need to use this coupon before today", I have parking attendants telling me "you need to come back in a few minutes", I have shelf stackers pushing carts of goods that "you need to watch your back".

I dont need ****. I dont need people without vocabularys or manners or a sense of their place in society telling me what I need.

Now, I do enjoy the game. I really enjoy the board in my own way. I am not a yappy dog but an educated, opinionated customer. Perhaps the worst kind.

Fionn is, whether he likes it or not, a person that has offered his "services" to BTS for some compensation (free game?) and therefore speaks for the company in that limited capacity. He was involved in the design process and should own up to it. He should be an ambassador on this board but rather likes to be "constable old timer".

The greatest downfall of this board is not new people but BTS non-participation.

Lewis

PS Stick to chewing cud Mr Horse and refrain from likening me to any small creature.

Guest Zulu1

Username;

CM was basically coded and produced by countem all of 2 people. Yet it is easily the best wargame ever produced IMO.

Is it perfect? no.

Is it fun to play? Yes.

Is it challenging? Yes.

Is it worth the money? Emphatically yes.

And your statement "The greatest downfall of this board is not new people but BTS non-participation." is ludicrous. Check the number of posts Steve and Charles have made on this forum. The patches gave us a lot of what we asked for. "We want bigger battles" Ok, max is now 5000 points (too many IMO). Pillboxes too hard to destroy. Ok, patch made them easier to knock out. Etc. etc. etc.

So where is this BTS non-participation?

Hey look, a newbie... smile.gif

It really doesn't seem to matter what the game is or how well done it is, people will constantly find a reason to complain about it. It's the nature of things. Same with music, movies etal.

This game is easily the best game of it's (many) type(s) I have ever played. I sometimes wonder just exactly what some people are after

The process continues to be refined, and we the players actually get some serious input here on this forum. Just because the BTS team doesn't personally address all the suggestions/complaints on a per/day basis doesn't mean that they aren't on top of things.

This is a fairly ambitious title and I for one am glad to be a part of it's refining process. It certainly can be improved, and I believe it will be, but while we wait, it still kicks the crap out of any other game I have tried in at least 2 years, it is as bug free as you can expect such a game to be, and it's just a lot of damned fun.

I feel better. Do you?

Guest Mortiis

How in the hell did this thread get turned into the level of bts participation, I think they go above and beyond the call of duty.

Deanco: Im a hardcore wargamer but Im no grognard, I would enjoy a pbem match, email me your preferences and we'll set one up.

Flipper: Sorry wrong Mortiis smile.gif

Wesreidau: Glad to be of service

Insu: I agree that there is alot to learn from this board, I love just reading the posts in my free time (when I can pull myself away from cm) Just from the short time Ive been on this board Ive been learning all sorts of new info on ww2 that I was not aware of.

Lawyer: ROTFL....SHHHHHH wink.gif

and my thanks to all who participated within the context of this thread.

Guest Madmatt

Lewis said:

Well the release of the game and the input of the sudden influx of so called newbies has had a nice effect called 1.03. OBVIOUSLY it wasnt play tested against the AI thouroughly or issues like reality on the battlefield werent addressed. *******************************************

Yeah yeah, keep talking...ASS

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-30-2000).]

Guest Mirage2k

Wow...I wonder what it said before MadMatt edited the post... wink.gif

Whatever. I guess I'm a "Beta-Baby." I first came across CM while perusing the "world wide web" in a usually vain attempt to forestall boredom. I downloaded the demo, like it, wrote a preview article for a now-defunct web site, and became hooked on the forum. I have never been the subject of a flame or a harsh word from the "old timers." I really don't see a conflict. I was a newbie once. There you have it. I am living proof that a newbie can survive without incurring the wrath of the CM gods.

-Andrew

PS: The "now-defunct web site" has been replaced by something better! ( www.SiegersPost.com ). Remember: pagehits = paycheck (for me, anyway).

[This message has been edited by Mirage2k (edited 07-30-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

What did I say before I edited my post? Oh, well actually I just mis-spelled "Ass", I spelled it "Unemployed Obnoxious Dickless Wonder with no Concept of Reality". That's all.

oh and Lewis said:

Now, I do enjoy the game. I really enjoy the board in my own way. I am not a yappy dog but an educated, opinionated customer. Perhaps the worst kind.

Actually, you aren't the worse kind at all Lewis. In fact, you don't matter in the least.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Fionn is, whether he likes it or not, a person that has offered his "services" to BTS for some compensation (free game?) and therefore speaks for the company in that limited capacity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you have some proof that Fionn in any way received any compensation, you just look like a fool when you make a statement like this.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>He was involved in the design process and should own up to it. He should be an ambassador on this board but rather likes to be "constable old timer".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what should he own up to again??? Let's see, ever since the beginning, he has been well known to be an alpha/beta tester. I've never seen him hide this fact. And if you have ever been involved in any type of testing program (can't recall if you've claimed to have been in the past), then that is obviously part of the design process. The fact that you think he needs to "own up to it" implies that you believe that there are major flaws in the design that you believe are Fionn's fault. This seems absurd to me since you have no way of knowing what things he suggested during the testing that are his ideas. Heck, for all you know, it's possible that your favorite feature of the game may have been inspired by Fionn. I know that must make you shudder...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Now, I do enjoy the game. I really enjoy the board in my own way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange but I guess some people do gain some sort of sick enjoyment from generating hostility and chaos such as you do. It saddens me, because I have seen you post some insightful thoughts on some topics in the past, but you can't seem to help but make yourself appear to be a total ass.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am not a yappy dog but an educated, opinionated customer. Perhaps the worst kind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From some of your posts, do occasionaly reinforce you argument that you are educated, and you definatly are opinionated, but that's not what makes you the "worst" kind of customer. You truly are the worst kind because you have no clue as how to express your opinions in a constuctive manner to BTS.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The greatest downfall of this board is not new people but BTS non-participation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Minor agreement here. While for the most part, I would rather have Charles/Steve continue to program and tweak CM closer to perfection, I do think the have failed to properly oversee this board, maining in failing to ban you once and for all. I am truly amazed at the patience they have shown in tolerating the trouble you have caused in the past. I can only hope it doesn't last much longer

Lewis -

you hate the expresseion "you need to" and then you're telling Fionn what to do and what not to do?

you like the game, but you want the testers to take ... blame?

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

LOL

Actually it would be nice for ALL the playtesters to thank all the new input to cover the mistakes in the origional version.

Notice I didnt say "you need to..".

I guess really good playtesters don't get wrapped up in a egocentric world of trying to prove themselves but rather improve the game. Simple testing such as I carried out once I got the game (where rudimentary attack and defense measurements were made) didnt occur or were bypassed to jump into mixed arms scenarios. Whatever. When I make MY wargame you know I wont have certain people here test it.

But oldbees dont worry. I am sure BTS and alot of the new people will correct things in the future.

Lewis

PS I meant BTS participation lately.

Guest Madmatt

Now MM if you were a funny witty guy you would have said:

Yeah, Well "you need to" kiss my ASS.

lewis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What!?! And risk infection?!?

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Lewis said " When I make MY wargame you know I wont have certain people here test it."

LOL. He makes one mini-dozer AI and now he's the great white hope of wargaming?

Oh boy, I simply can't wait to see what Lewis comes up with. No doubt it'll be utterly perfect since I and the other flawed and incompetent testers won't be involved wink.gif.

Alot of people found that funny, the dozer thing. What of course isnt appreciated is that embedded control usually is code written without the safety net of an operating system. Usually in my case C and asm language together.

A wargame or any PC program is only lighting up pixels on your screen dazzling your retinas and imaginations. Embedded control is actually concerned with the actuation and physical control of real world systems. Usually it is very concerned about safety and if is badly modeled, will not accomplish its goal.

A wargame is very subjective and a wargame made/tested by civilians is a chancey affair. But if its "wrong" it still "works", if you catch my drift.

So, Fionn, I am very pragmatic even if my mind is not going downhill.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I was once a newbie and thought newbie thoughts...Give yourself a month and you, too shall lament the passing of the good old days.....LOL.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's that? You can remember the good old days and recall the passing of a month!

You must still be a young wipper-snipper!

Mace (last seen escaping from the nursing home)

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :Username::

A wargame is very subjective and a wargame made/tested by civilians is a chancey affair. But if its "wrong" it still "works", if you catch my drift.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that several of the CM testers were current/former military personnel.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

Mace (last seen escaping from the nursing home)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's great...Was that you who knocked me outta my wheel chair and spilled ensure all over my lap robe?....LOL

Guest MantaRay

Damn, I wish Steve would just ban this fool once and for all.

And Lewis, "you need to" stop getting smacked around by those girls at work, because your seem to be angry about it when you post on the board.

"You need to" Call 911 if they are abusing you, and "you need to" step out this AO.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

Hardcore Gamers Daily

(Feeding the troll...) Lewis: Do you have an inferiority complex that compels you to knock anyone with less military, civil, sexual, (insert adverb of choice here) experience? As a fellow veteran, I find it offensive that you somehow feel that your opinion is somehow more valuable than a non-veteran's. In case you have forgotten, the US military IS under civilian control, and for good reason wink.gif

You occasionally have some good insight into the models in CM, but your condescending attitude often detracts from any sympathy I might otherwise have for your views. Please keep your "opinions" to yourself, and you might find that you have a lot more support for your CM-related ideas.

Best,

MT

EDIT: typing a bit too fast (need to get back to work!)

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 07-31-2000).]

The greatest downfall of this board is not new people but BTS non-participation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME:

PS I meant BTS participation lately.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve and Charles (BTS) work several years, without pay, on this game. Now that the game has been released, they decide to take a break and go on vacation. How dare they! I don't need to take a vacation from my job, so what makes Steve and Charles so special that they need to have a break.

Who do they think they are? I bought the game so they owe me. They need to be here every minute of the day to address my ideas because if they would only listen to me, they would have the bestest game ever made. They need to be here to implement my research because they, and the beta testers, don't know crap. I really can't believe this piece of crap is enjoyable, but just think how good it would be if BTS would just listen to me instead of all of those dumb testers that are full of crap.

BTS needs to start listening to me since I know everything. They just need to fix what I tell them is wrong and not worry about anything else. Then this piece of crap will be great.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanE (edited 07-31-2000).]