Oldest CM ancestor

Since I play CM, I remind of old good computer tactical wargames. The first that came to my mind was Kampfgruppe (SSI 85) but I have a vague remembering of another, older game on Apple II that was I think the very first "SL -type" computer game...

I searched in old AH Generals (those from 80-83 !!) and found it : it was UNDER FIRE !!

When you look at the screenshots they are laughable, but I had a pretty good time with this game...Ah memories...

Anyone played this, amongst other Paleolitic grognards ?

Bit before Napoleon's time weren't they!

No - I had mighty Commodore 64 Exec (with built in screen. A lap top at only 25Kg! I rememeber playing Russian front for hours on tiny 8"x6" screen! Great fun - & came complete with everything editor!

Sue don't make 'em like they used to - thank goodness! smile.gif

I got years of gameplay out of Kampfgruppe. I found a way early on to select forces for both sides and then get the computer to set up and play one side. I did campaigns where I was the Germans and the computer was the Russians. Since the computer tended to do human wave charges it worked out really well, as I generally gave it a 5:1 advantage.

"Tanks!" from SSI was another one that I got decent milage out of.

Yes, I remember UNDER FIRE and Fire-Brigade by panther games for the IBM PC both copyright around 1988. Under fire for the PC was a alpha version at best. As I look at my Under fire, I see stiff requirements - 256k Ram, DOS 2.1 to 3.2, monochrome or color graphics card. Also, the game came packed on 2 5.25 360k floppies, 9 scenarios, 12 tank types ... "on the cutting edge of computer wargaming in months and even years to come," Computer gaming World.

Fire Brigade The Battle for Kiev - 1943 was a good game at the time. It also has 2 5.25 floppies.

Some other earlier PC wargames were put out by none other than Sid Meier and Microprose - "Crusade in Europe " and Decision in the Desert" about 1985

[This message has been edited by Concord Dan (edited 08-12-2000).]

KAMPFGRUPPE!!!!

I played that thing endlessly. It was platoon level vs squad, but I still apply successfully some of the lessons learned from that game to CM, a testament to the games decency in that hex-laden era. Like dont expect your 150mm IG to live long. But thats another thread (hehe I'm still laughing about that.)

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

To stretch the topic, my favorite board games were aircraft carrier based. Why on earth hasn't there been a decent computer representation??? The computer would be perfect for the cat and mouse game of sending out search planes, hoping to whack the other guy first!! Here's hoping.....

Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asl:

To stretch the topic, my favorite board games were aircraft carrier based. Why on earth hasn't there been a decent computer representation??? The computer would be perfect for the cat and mouse game of sending out search planes, hoping to whack the other guy first!! Here's hoping.....

Jon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a game. It was calleg Carriers At War by SSG (Strategic Studies Group). A great little game with fairly basic graphics but still great fun.

In Kampfgruppe, for all of the AI's stupidity at times, it was amazing how fast arty got called in on an 88 battery. The interesting thing is that the Kampfgruppe "give order, calculate delay, move and fire" sequence is extremely imilar to CM in the sense that you could plot waypoints and the units woud just keep moving. Pretty good stuff for its time.

Carriers at war was excellent too. Amazing detail for the time. Only problem was it was hard to see what was happening at any given moment unless you stopped the game (requiring long disk action) every 10 mins game time.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asl:

Jon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flat Top! Flat Top! Flat Top!

Might be something for Steve and Charles to do after they finish CM (hint, hint).

Michael

I remember one for the C64...Combat Leader I think it was called. I can't remember much about it except lots of green on a white background. It wasn't hex-based. The tanks and APCs all looked the same (a simple sprite) but might represent anything from a PIV to a T-80. I think you could even call in artillery and lay smoke.