56th aniversity of the Ardennes Offensive

I live in Nebraska, and as I look out my window we currently have about 8 inches of snow on the ground, with a wind chill of -30. I believe that this is pretty close to the conditions these men faced. I shudder when I think of what these men went through. I went outside for five minutes and I nearly froze. These guys were on the front lines, with no winter gear, exposed to the elements, and still won the battle.

Find a veteran and thank him today. I know I am.

------------------

The only thing worse than fighting with allies is fighting without them. - Churchill

Yes, and after all they did to make our countries of the Western World affluent and wealthy, our governments in Canada, Britain and the U.S.A. can't find it in their budgets to provide unlimited medical services, and other creature comforts to these men and women who fought the war.

What would it cost us collectively to make the twilight years of these veterans' lives a little more comfortable and secure?

Except for the G.I. bill, they got nothin'...

------------------

Happy Bday Airborn, and many more.

Last week, there was a conference of American Aces here in Santa Rosa. It was a grand time. They had the only American Air Force ace from the Vietnam war (the Navy ace was in D.C.). What was an eye opener for me was the fact that most of the others were from not WW2 but from Korea.

I tracked down one of the people who hosted the event and asked where were all the WW2 aces?

She told me there just were not that many left! Kind of hit me hard, the way this 30 something woman just dismissed them, yet she was right. They are slowly marching from the field, and we are all the poorer because of it.

One of my interperters is a WW2 combat vet. I had found out he won a Silver Star in Europe. I tracked him down, just to tell him thanks. Never asked him about the Star, just wanted him to know. He started to cry, I had forgot it was Pearl Harbor day. "You honor me", he said. I am a fool, to have forgot, but if you know a WW2 vet it is not too late to honor them. Let them know.

Absent companions.

Tom

------------------

"The Legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace."

I'd like to second the thanks to all vets, and the History Channel had a hour-long show on the Battle of the Bulge today, which initially focused on the Allied intelligence failure to predict it and prepare for it. Then, it discussed the battle itself (and was pretty accurate, too!)

Hi there ,

Concerning the " Battle of the Bulge " you should read the following articles by Mr.John Kline ( a veteran from the 106. Infantry Division ):

Mr. Klines War Diary at

http://www.mm.com/user/jpk/wardiary.htm

German/American veterans meet at

http://www.mm.com/user/jpk/meeting.htm

A HIGHLY RECOMNENDED READ

Regards

Thomas Klimisch

------------------

Visit Toms Combat Mission HQ ( bilingual site ) at http://home.germany.net/101-77027/CM/TCMHQ.html