Knowledge Test for all you Grognards

Who can identify this tank described below:

Medium Allied Tank

Horizontal Volute Suspension

Max. Road Speed 30mph

25 pdr main gun

Height 8ft. 5in. (therefore NOT a Sherman variant)

Cast one piece hull

I could give it away by describing the power plant but rest assured it (powerplant) was American. The other hint is that it never saw service yet it apparently outperformed the equivalent Sherman in cross country ability, was relatively fast, had a low profile, good armour protection & excellent development potential in that the 17pdr. gun could be fitted without too much modification.

Be interested to see how long it takes.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Whoa mule, WHOA!.....when ah sez Whoa ahz mean WHOA!!! ....Whang....

Ya flea bitten varmit...

Ah hate dat Wabbit! (or Gerbil or Hampster or Rattus Rattus...insert preference)

Guest Michael emrys

The Australian Cruiser Tank, of course. It had 3 Cadillac V-8 engines. The A.C.1 had a 2 lbr. gun, a water-cooled 0.303 Vickers co-ax with another Vickers centrally mounted in the hull front. It weighed 28 tons and could go up to 35 mph.

The A.C.3 was to have the 25 lbr., retain the co-ax MG but drop the hull MG.

The A.C.4 was to have had the 17 lbr.

One interesting feature is that the 3 Cadillac engines shared a common crankcase, giving the powerplant a semi-radial appearance.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

The Australian Cruiser Tank, of course. It had 3 Cadillac V-8 engines. The A.C.1 had a 2 lbr. gun, a water-cooled 0.303 Vickers co-ax with another Vickers centrally mounted in the hull front. It weighed 28 tons and could go up to 35 mph.

The A.C.3 was to have the 25 lbr., retain the co-ax MG but drop the hull MG.

The A.C.4 was to have had the 17 lbr.

One interesting feature is that the 3 Cadillac engines shared a common crankcase, giving the powerplant a semi-radial appearance.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn....that was too quick! You're right Michael, the Australian "Sentinel ACIII" Cruiser Tank is the corerct weight. Was it the reference to the American engine that gave it away or did you simply know it anyway?

I see I'm going to have to make it tougher in future. wink.gif

BTW, I still think it was a shame it never saw any service as it would have been rather interesting to see how it would have performed.

Jim R.

------------------

Ya flea bitten varmit...

Ah hate dat Wabbit! (or Gerbil or Hampster or Rattus Rattus...insert preference)

Ah! But what about the AC IV, fitted with TWIN 17 pounder guns???!!! Surely a noteworthy family member. (Though this prototype mounted the twin guns soley to test recoil of the harder hitting 25 pdr, which wasn't availible at the time).

Chamberlain sez 66 AC I's were completed and, though a capable design, were relegated to training units due to the appearance in numbers of U.S. vehicles.

I always have wished the Aussies had utilized this nifty tank. I'd like to model one. I wonder if there is a kit?

Zamo

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Was it the reference to the American engine that gave it away or did you simply know it anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the first clue was the horizontal volute suspension. Everything else just confirmed my suspician. BTW, this isn't the first time I've come across this question in a contest. Some wargaming mag about ten years ago had the same question. I think they may even have had a picture of it, which made it easy.

Michael

Okay.. Here is a question for the German Handgun grognard.

What was the name of the 9mm Luger that some SS Officers used during WWII? The symbol for the name of the gun was found on the pistol grip.

Go get 'em!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 08-21-2000).]

the Walther P38 was the 9mm pistol but i am still looking for that ss symbol on one. hmm interesting

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue Macs:

the Walther P38 was the 9mm pistol but i am still looking for that ss symbol on one. hmm interesting

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... It is a 9mm Luger, but it has a special name because of the little symbol "insignia?" on the pistol grip. As mentioned before it was issued to SS Officers.

Jeff

AC IV with single 17pdr only produced as prototype - presumably Firefly was more capable vehicle - problems of reliability & synchronisation running 3 engines on 1 crankcase. Though AC I was not bad its 2pdr would not have been much use by time produced in quantity - and production did not start until 1942!

Noba - Rats eat anthing - you know that! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

And to see a display of this particular example of Aussie tank design, check out:

http://www.iol.net.au/~conway/ww2/sentinel.html </A>

Mace

Thanks Mace, that was a brilliant site. I am continually amazed at the sources of information you guys manage to dredge up.

Regards

Jim R.

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 08-21-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Ya flea bitten varmit...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Okay, here's a hard one.

Who can identify the mullet below:

shoulder-length

feathered

greasy

light brown

last seen at a Stryper concert

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, that would be our friend Muzzlehead! biggrin.gif

He's allways leading from the front (of the moshpit)!

Mace