Turning AT guns

What is the reasoning behind not allowing AT/Arty pieces the Orient "O" command to change their facing? This is especially puzzling to me since you can force them to pivot 180 degrees by issuing an area fire command (which then wastes ammo, gives away the position, etc.). If the command is then cacelled, they return to their 'base' facing.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this and maybe see this changed in future releases.

BTW, did a search and found nothing.... frown.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Same here, no problem getting them to face wherever i want. Are you sure their isn't something (threat) that cxl the order.

BTW, Leland, you are one popular guy. I've had you commanding Shermans in 2 different games and a platoon in a third. Sorry about getting you killed wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

BTW, Leland, you are one popular guy. I've had you commanding Shermans in 2 different games and a platoon in a third. Sorry about getting you killed wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still haven't encountered myself yet. Probably for the best; if that were to happen, reality would probably twist to remove the paradox either by destroying the universe or eliminating one of us.

Hmm, someone's knocking at the door. I wonder who it POOF

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

OK, I figured it was me (or at least my install of the game). I really don't see where I can be doing anything wrong; the command is just plain MISSING from the right-click orders menu. The orient order is present in the setup phase, BTW, just not during gameplay. I'll make some screen shots of it tonight...

------------------

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

I had once same problem but only with 88 gun. Other guns were easy to rotate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now *that's* really odd. Assuming that it is the FLAK version of the gun, it was on a pedestal base that permitted it to rotate freely a full 360°.

Michael

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

OK, I figured it was me [...]the command is just plain MISSING from the right-click orders menu<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing here. In scenario ____, I can order the 88 to target and destroy the bridge, which it does. I then want it to rotate to face the likely threat area for speedy engagement... but there is no 'orient' command on the context menu. Nor does it respond to 'o' hotkey.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

AT guns CAN rotate in place.. You must be doing something wrong Intelweenie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it have anything to do with the size of the gun? Are any of the guns in CM too big for a crew alone to manhandle?

Or if they've suffered casualties?

[This message has been edited by dNorwood (edited 08-02-2000).]

I know the larger guns (specifically the 88) are immobile once the game starts. I suspect that's why there is no rotate command. That command would be like dragging the base of the gun around.

Now since the 88 can rotate on the base, you would need a command somehwat akin to a 'rotate turret' for AFVs. There are occasions when I'd like to have this particular command for AFVs, but it could also be used for guns like the 88.

Ben

yes, the command "rotate to" is not visible anymore at least on the flak 88 and pak 88.

I just played the op: A day in a cavalery, and I couldn't turn the barrel in the direction I wanted. The command isn't there anymore. (bummer)

Solution: I targetted a unit out of LOS, in the same direction i wanted the gun facing to. And it worked, it turned to the unit out of LOS. But i really liked the 'rotate to/orient' command much more.

Is this a change/bug since 1.03?

I know it worked before.

Silencer

**Bump**

OK, I'm at home now and I just ran a little test (in between games) wink.gif

I made up a test scenario containing most of the different types of German guns (AT, AA, Art, Inf). The 'non-rotation' problem seems to ONLY occur with the three 88mm guns (Flak 88, Pak43, Pak43/41). It also is happening with the US 90mm AA gun. Guns larger than this (105 Arty, 150 Inf guns, etc.) are working as expected. Once again, this happens ONLY during gameplay, not during setup.

Charles/Steve, I can send some screenshots if you need them.

------------------

Guys, Ive had a pretty easy time of rotating or moving artillery with WHEELED carriages. I could be wrong but werent most of the 88 mounted on a fixed type of carriage, which required a seperate set of wheeled caissons? Not to mention the HT needed to move the thing? The inability of the crew to move the 88 without limbering up could be BTS's way to show the most common picture of how this weapon was used?

This is a bug:

1. If you issue a target order, the guns DO rotate. This shows that they are technically and mechanically able to rotate in the game.

2. Ever saw a 88 Flak (the real thing) in action? It is a AA Gun and this nice piece of hardware rotates like a charm on its carriage. Not fast, but steadily.

I posted this as a bug in the Tech Forum.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

Guest Michael emrys

I think the answer here is that you don't *need* to rotate the 88 as it has a 360° field of fire, just like a turreted vehicle. On the other hand, If it's treated like a slow turret, I agree that it would be nice to be able to assign it a preferred arc the way you do an assault gun.

Michael