Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBO trouble ticket in limbo

I purchased both battlepacks for CMBO for Mac, but the installer failed, so i opened a trouble ticket.

They started working on it, but then the Slitherine buy happened.

Now the Help Center is dead, and i haven't gotten any replies.

Does anybody have a suggestion how i should proceed? 

Cheers - B

22 minutes ago, Skaville said:

Argh, i meant Battle for Normandy, sorry.

That makes more sense. I raised an eyebrow when you mentioned Battle Packs for CMBO.

By the way if you do want to install any of the CM1 games I find the GoG versions run quite well on both my Win10 and my Linux Mint machines. So they'll probably work on a modern Mac. Of course if you've already purchased them through Battlefront I'm sure Elvis can figure out how to get them activated for you (he's proclaimed before that no one should have to repurchase content). CM1 may not look very pretty by today's standards. But it's still the second best tactical wargame engine in the world after CM2 (though I suppose once CM3 comes out CM2 will be second best, and CM1 will be third best (CM will be taking home the gold, silver and the bronze, which isn't doing too shabby)). I figure CMAK is still relevant since CM2 never got around to covering North Africa, and CMBB is still relevant since CMRT never got expanded all the way back to Barbarossa.

Edited by Centurian52

2 hours ago, Skaville said:

Sorry, but there aren't any error messages- the CMBN "activate new products" app just opens as a script rather than running the install screen.

When you double click app "Activate New Products" it opens Terminal first (opens as a script ), and a few seconds later  Online Activation app. automatically opens.You have to wait a little....

Edited by Ales Dvorak

1 hour ago, Redwolf said:

You can also execute the command from the script directly in a terminal.

This is what I always do, but I've had years of Unix/Linux experience from work and it's natural for me. Other, maybe not so much. It's a good thing to learn though.

Also a warning that the popup that appears where you input your serial number is ugly beyond belief and has been so for a while. It flashes. You usually can make out the window where you put your serial number in, and where the Activate button is. Don't even try to type the number in. Copy and paste it. Then wait for a "flash" where you can see the red Activate button and mash it. 🙂   Cumbersome, ugly as sin, and they've known about it since High Sierra I believe it was and still no fix (maybe not possible to fix). 

Dave

10 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

and they've known about it since High Sierra I believe it was and still no fix (maybe not possible to fix). 

Probably possible. But I believe they only had one programmer before the Slitherine acquisition (or did they have two?). So any time spent fixing it would've been time not spent fixing a bug or working on a game or module (or the CM3 engine, as we now know). So it wouldn't have been worth fixing, no matter how theoretically fixable it was.

Now Charles has a lot more help. The advantage of having multiple programmers is that they can now task one to work on fixing a bug, or fixing an ugly interface, while the rest continue work on whatever project they're working on at the time. Of course I still wouldn't expect them to improve this interface anytime soon. Charles would still be the only one familiar with CM2 code, his primary focus would still be on CM3, and I wouldn't think there would be much point bringing the new members of the programming team up to speed on CM2 code if they are going to be spending the overwhelming majority of their future on the CM team working on CM3.

So I'm guessing that we'll see CM3 bugs handled much more quickly (because they won't need to completely halt work on a new game to fix a bug in an old game). But I'm not sure how much of Charles's time they'll want to divert towards finally fixing leftover CM2 bugs.