Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Russian Rifle Squads Not Shooting

Hi all, been having trouble dealing with some weird behavior from the Russian rifle squads and the Italian squads in FI. I find myself having to constantly micromanage these unit's target orders because they seem to very frequently refuse to fire at spotted enemy units >200M out.

I've been playing the Hammers Flank campaign's first mission and found that often one of my squads would sit staring down a spotted German unit in a foxhole, maybe 150-200M away, without firing a shot for multiple turns. Seeing this, I'd give them a target briefly order and the full squad would very effectively and immediately open up on the targeted unit and position. I generally play CM to not have to micromanage units like this so its pretty frustrating.

Has anyone else dealt with this? It feels almost like a bug or an issue with the spotting, but I'm sure there's some niche doctrinal reason I'm missing for this being a feature. I've faced something similar with the bolt action dominated Italian squads in FI but never with US airborne or germans in BN. The effective range of a mosin according to the manual is 500M so why this hesitation to shoot?

Its a little nice feeling like an officer giving the order to shoot each time but when im controlling 20+ infantry squads it gets tiresome

On 9/9/2024 at 4:31 PM, ehbuh said:

Hi all, been having trouble dealing with some weird behavior from the Russian rifle squads and the Italian squads in FI. I find myself having to constantly micromanage these unit's target orders because they seem to very frequently refuse to fire at spotted enemy units >200M out.

I've been playing the Hammers Flank campaign's first mission and found that often one of my squads would sit staring down a spotted German unit in a foxhole, maybe 150-200M away, without firing a shot for multiple turns. Seeing this, I'd give them a target briefly order and the full squad would very effectively and immediately open up on the targeted unit and position. I generally play CM to not have to micromanage units like this so its pretty frustrating.

Has anyone else dealt with this? It feels almost like a bug or an issue with the spotting, but I'm sure there's some niche doctrinal reason I'm missing for this being a feature. I've faced something similar with the bolt action dominated Italian squads in FI but never with US airborne or germans in BN. The effective range of a mosin according to the manual is 500M so why this hesitation to shoot?

Its a little nice feeling like an officer giving the order to shoot each time but when im controlling 20+ infantry squads it gets tiresome

Whats their veterancy? Conscripts and even green troops wont fire at somewhat close targets unless directed. 

@Erwin that was what I was thinking as well. I've dealt with similar situations but not this consistently with this many squads

@Artkin they're 90% regular with a couple veteran squads and a couple green squads. You could be right though, I'll have to look at my save and see if it was the green troops specifically not shooting

ScreenShot2024-09-12at11_52_23AM.thumb.png.d420c80043faf7ce2c38af9c9e8bc6de.png

Seems like Erwin was right. Its the squads not deeming it worth it to shoot mixed with the large squad size/scenario conditions causing the spotting to be deceiving.

I opened my old save and found one of the situations that was bugging me. There are some enemy trenches that are "spotted" by 3 squads, none of which fire for a whole turn even though their icons imply they see the enemy.

1.thumb.jpg.1e1b75bfeb1fcb8b817560e2579a3933.jpg

So I give them a target order to fire on the trench...

3.thumb.jpg.ce6db17350dda779345e9eaf5fae4014.jpg

and only one of the 8 men in the squad turns to fire.

4.thumb.jpg.9dcca729c26fc9ec43f7a919559f7c9c.jpg

Since at least 1 of the guys has the spot, the whole squad is counted as spotting on the UI. But the tacAI doesn't deem 1 mosin vs a whole trench of germans worth the effort hence why they don't fire on their own. The large soviet squad sizes on top of the rainy/foggy conditions screwing up spotting would seem to cause this issue to pop up here more often than other scenarios.

Would be nice if the whole squad could dynamically reposition within their tiles so that most or all of them can engage a unit that one of them has spotted but that'll have to wait for the unity engine update in 2035.

anyway, appreciate all the input fellers

2.jpg

Edited by ehbuh
removed extra pic

1 hour ago, ehbuh said:

Would be nice if the whole squad could dynamically reposition within their tiles so that most or all of them can engage a unit that one of them has spotted

We also see similar issue with crew-served weapons like ATG's and MG's.  It seems like the gun can see a target, but it won't fire...  the reason is that the spotter is actually only the 3rd ammo leader (or similar) NOT the gunner.  Many of us have been requesting for years that the team automatically reorient so that the gunner can fire the weapon at the desired target...  But sometimes when the gun turns, it loses LOS.  That happens fairly frequently with tanks when their turret turns.  LOS is often a bitch in CM.  I have often termed the CM2 game, as "The Game of Determining LOS".