Surrendering Units

What do I do with them? They are still shown as 'regular' icons on the map, albeit 'Broken'. If I leave them alone and continue my advance, will they begin to recover and somewhere later in the scenario become a threat again? Do I have to leave some type of infantry unit 'with them'?

Units that surrender can "unsurrender" if friendly (to them) units come nearby.  That way you can rescue your own surrendered units in the same way that the enemy can theirs.  

It is wise to leave some rear area units with enemy units that are surrendering - until the system automatically removes them from the map.

15 minutes ago, Erwin said:

It is wise to leave some rear area units with enemy units that are surrendering - until the system automatically removes them from the map.

+1 to that, doesn't take long - perhaps a turn or two.

1 hour ago, kb6583 said:

They are still shown as 'regular' icons on the map, albeit 'Broken'.

I assume they are showing a white flag and have their hands up?  I ask because some of the unit (which you may not have spotted) may not have decided to surrender.

58 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I assume they are showing a white flag and have their hands up?  I ask because some of the unit (which you may not have spotted) may not have decided to surrender.

Once the white flag appears they can't "unsurrender". And if you are playing turn-based they will disappear either in that turn, or the next.

6 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Once the white flag appears they can't "unsurrender". And if you are playing turn-based they will disappear either in that turn, or the next.

I think we're saying the same thing, perhaps you better than I 😉.

In addition to that surrendered troops can un-surrender themselves too. I once had a soviet soldier in CMCW who surrendered in some woods.

His buddies already retreated way back to another defensive line but the american soldiers never really came close to him to take him into custody.

So after several turns (don´t know the actual ammount anymore) he said "Screw this !" (but in russian), took his rifle and ran like hell to friendly lines. Unfortunately he was gunned down by american troops that were still watching.

But to answer the question: Rescued prisoners can be regular infantry again. But since they already have surrendered once they are maybe in a questionable moral state and be not of much value in actual combat.

Edited by Brille

4 hours ago, Brille said:

But since they already have surrendered once they are maybe in a questionable moral state and be not of much value in actual combat.

In RL probably.  Not sure how the game handles their state.

16 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I can take a very long time... Apparently, they will disappear from map (white flag) only if 1) there are enemy troops very close, AND 2) if there is no friendly troops (which are not surrendering themselves) nearby. The latter condition can take ages in close terrains like dense forest (recent experience of mine...).

Been playing these games so long I sometimes get confused between CM1 and CM2 but IIRC in CM1, surrendering units lose their weapons.  I cannot recall if they would accumulate weapons if used to provide medical aid. 

In CM2 I vaguely recall rescuing friendlies who had surrendered and they got their weapons back (but perhaps not all their ammo).  Cannot recall if they started broken, or if they recovered back to normal.  But, they were able to function.

20 hours ago, Erwin said:

In RL probably.  Not sure how the game handles their state.

Well I cannot say for sure as surrendering troops are rather rare and even rarer to rescue them. Though one might think that the reason for surrendering on the field is out of desperation. Nowhere to run to and no means to fight back. I would guess that takes a toll on troopers permanent morale or they surrender because of it.

So my bet is that they would at least be rattled once you get them back.

Edited by Brille

3 hours ago, Brille said:

So my bet is that they would at least be rattled once you get them back.

In the game I can't recall, but am wondering if they returned to full status given time.  Still, a very rare occurrance.