Who else will spend more on books about ww2 than they spent on the game .

Every time a game comes about about a historical period I find interesting I go crazy buying books on the subject .I have just completed my collection of WW2 New Vanguard books by osprey .Well steel panters and fighting steel came up I did the same thing ,Does anyone else have this afliction

Not exactly the same thing, but whenever I buy a model to build, I probably spend approx $50-75 in reference material. The Honest truth about games is that I have been burned so often that I buy with much more caution.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

Well I purchased Stacey's official history of the Canadian Army in WW2 (3 volumes) for $290 cdn. I still wish it was in print. Since military history is a hobby anyways, it is not a soley game related purchase.

I also have Nafziger's Orders of Battle on order as well and picked Steel Inferno.

So short answer is yes, I've spent a lot more on books for this game than the game itself.

If it ever arrives (grrrrr) I'll start putting out missions based upon historical engagements.

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hannibal:

290 cnd I thought I spent alot when spent 75 bucks on axis battleships of ww2 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hannibal,

I know! I struggled over this one for a while. I contacted Dept. of National Defense but they had no copies. It was last published over 30 years ago, so it has been out of print for a very long time. No plans for its re-release any time soon.

Therefor my choice was don't purchase and let it become rarer (and more expensive) or bite the bullet and get it while I still can.

Chris

I passed spending more on books than CM costs about eight months ago. smile.gif Altogether I've probably spent over $300 on books. But not much in the past six months because I just haven't had the money.

(Excepting some books I bought recently with money I got from B&N credit from a return seven months ago.)

As soon as I get some money, I have my eye on about $200 more of books.

Curse you, BTS, and the fabulous game you've cooked up!

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Altogether I've probably spent over $300 on books<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose I long for the day when I could have said that. Since I discovered CM, I've spent that amount again, just on WWII, which I'd gotten away from for a while.

I go through fads- ancient, Byzantine, medieval, Napoleon, Crimea, Zulu & Boer, F-P and R-J Wars were biggies, and lately I've been digging into the Spanish-American and Korea (50s, not 1871... yet). Love the ACW but it's just one more can 'o worms. WWII was my first love, and CM is like running into her again at the class reunion, and she lookin' good.

It's amazing that I don't know more than I do! Idiots (and others) kick my butt all the time. But, it beats TV.

Yep, me too. I've picked up about 8 or 9 books related to the subject matter of CM that I've been saving up to read once I got the game. This doesn't count the dozen or so model kits as well. Now to just find the TIME to read the books, assemble the kits and play the game smile.gif

Kevin

I have bought enough books on WW2 and the Soviet military. I really need something unique to make me buy another in either category. My collection is better than a lot of libraries at this point. I once had friends come to my house and use my books because they were better than any library around in the area.

I cannot afford to spend much money on books, but I admit, I renewed membership of the local public library.

Has CM offers to create your own scenarios, I plunged into some stuff about the liberation of my hometown and discovered some interesting stories. e.g. The battle of the river Scheldt. Actually, this was an undercredited operation in the war, where mainly Canadians paid the toll. Though, some very interesting amphibious actions took place, (first use of Buffaloes on the Western front in order to liberate the Pocket of Breskens and in the attack of the island of Walcheren) Furthermore some ferocious fighting took place north of Antwerp against German para-regiments...could brew something nice out of it for a scenario...Scenerery building shouldn't be that hard as countryside is as flat as a pancake, even below sealevel. For the full version owners...can you simulate inundations in CM ?

Yeah, I am backed up on books bought to read on WW2 air war and pilots, but I dropped another $30 Monday to get "View from the Turret" and "Panzerjager" by Folkestad to get me into the CM feeling.

Buying is the easy part. Finding time to read them is the hard part. Finding time to play the game is the hardest part.

------------------

Res ipsa loquitur

As a wargamer and an armor modeling buff, I've got quite an extensive and expensive collection of WWII books. My most memorable purchase was a book about Wittmann I purchased while on vacation in Hawaii. I spent $39 for it (quite a deal) and spent the trip back reading it. I have always had the habit of immersing myself in a subject and computer wargaming has helped perpetuate that habit. I just finished Stephen Ambrose's book on D-day.

I have a room full of WWII books. Mostly I buy books on small arms of WWII. If anybody knows a good small arms book, I would appreciate it if you would share the name with me. I also collect rifles of WWII. Right now, I have an M1 carbine, Arisaka Type 99 7.7 (with crest still on it), and a No 4 Mk 1 .303. The Garand is my next rifle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacAuliff:

I cannot afford to spend much money on books, but I admit, I renewed membership of the local public library.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, money's too tight for book buying right now, but I've been impressed with what I've actually managed to get at my local 'regional' library. Problem is, once I want to reference something in it, or look at info for scenario designing, I realize it's back at the library.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Since my family was involved heavily during WW2 (my grandfather was a combat engineer in Europe and my mom lived under Nazi occupationas a child) I have been more than interested in WW2 history. My book buying began in my early teens while living on Okinawa in the 60's. My collection of books on the subject is over 300 (at last count). My biggest single purchase was the US Army's Official History of WW2. I have the European and Pacific theaters complete. CBI, Africa and Italy I need to complete.

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

I am not sure if I have the same level of you people out there but I am sure I have quite a small collection of WW2 books. Since one legal games cost almost the same as one thin Ospey books, I am sure I have already spent more money on books than on games.

Most of them are from Amazon.com, since Hong Kong does not have a bookstore which fulfill me needs.

I have not counted how many books on WW2 I actually have but I am constructing a catalogue in my Palm Pilot so that I would not purchse the book I have already bought.

BTW, my late dad always asked me how could I read all the books, I would tell him "by the end of next month".

Griffin @ home.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 06-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:

Bought a huge French language book on the Panzer Lehr Division for 75 UK Pounds (110 USD?). Expect some scenarios to come out of this smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you buy it? Do you know if there is an equivalent in France to amazon.com? I live in Canada, but I would like to see what is being published in France.

For that matter, is there a UK equivalent to amazon.com?

TIA

smile.gif