Surrendering units (raising hands)

Hi,

Game manual states (Game Engine page 64) that it takes 1-2 minutes for surrendering (i.e. raising hands) troops to actually be captured.

In my last CMBN game, it took at least 6 or 7 minutes for my troops to capture surrendering ennemies in the same building (and at the same building's level).

In my current CMRT game, I have two different Soviet soldiers raising their hands since 4 turns and nothing happens. My troops were 12-15 meters away, since 2 turns they're in the same action spot, not pinned, nobody firing at them. Still waiting.

Did I miss something??

Usually it is an indication for other enemy units still around in close proximity.

I had the same instance recently with my germans in CMRT. Two of my soldiers were raising there hands and the soviets were standing so close that they could have given them a high five.

But one of my fireteams that was like 30m away kept them from totally giving into the soviets. Just as that fire team crawled further away and was out of sight, those 2 fellows finally started their long march to siberia.

So you need to clear the surroundings first to really get them. And always keeping an eye on those prisoners in spe...these bastards tend to pick up their weapons again if you keep them unchecked. :D

I don't trust 'em. I recall playing Blunting the Spear a couple year ago. It was the final battle of the campaign, a big one too, about a battalion. Battalion commanders surely drink a lot of coffee.

To get an idea of the scale of this battle I offer this wide shot about half-way through it.

widebattle.thumb.jpg.c46edcbc5b9f301ea3e2566a1271a5cf.jpg

That's a big battle. If we could focus in on the upper center it would reveal a situation which played out like a white flag ruse. Trees are turned off. The two soldiers who surrendered were visible to me, but not the one laying down with the LMG. Thinking the position was secure I advanced to cross the open ground beyond (you can see the smoke deployed in anticipation), but as my troops neared the captured soldiers the hidden Ivan opened fire and you see the damage he's done. The bastage.

whiteflagruse.thumb.jpg.ddd706ffccbc7195971f2844bdfe24ee.jpg

Be wary of surrendering soldiers. Not all their mates might have signed on.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothings worse than your boys getting mowed down by the lone mg42 gunner who refused to cower/surrender with the rest of his squad.

Timing definitely seems related to nearby friendly/enemy units. I've seen surrenders happen in 1-2 turns from hands up to a white flag if they were out all alone and surrounded by a lot of enemies.

1 hour ago, ehbuh said:

Nothings worse than your boys getting mowed down by the lone mg42 gunner who refused to cower/surrender with the rest of his squad…

I am a war criminal in that I fire on surrendering troops until I can’t or the troops won’t do it. I’ve been burned by the Lone Wolf Rambo super trooper one time too many!

2 hours ago, ALBY said:

I am a war criminal in that I fire on surrendering troops until I can’t or the troops won’t do it. I’ve been burned by the Lone Wolf Rambo super trooper one time too many!

"I'm sure they've all surrendered over there"

"I'm sure I wiped out that squad over there"

^

me before getting blasted by Lone Wolf Rambo Super Trooper, every single time

4 hours ago, ALBY said:

It is poorly modelled, surrendered units should follow orders but you can't do it like you could do before in the CM1 Games. In SF2 it is downright gamey. 

The silliest thing about POWs in CMx2 is that they still give away enemy positions while they raise their hands.

So they still work as some sort of scout unit that cannot be targeted directly.

Because of this I dont have hard feelings when some stray bullet hits one of the surrendering troops as they still take part in the engagement and can still be seen as combatants. :D

Hans: "Hey Fritz, there are lots of Thommies here !"

Thommy: "You do realise that I put a gun to your head, you kraut bastard?"

Hans *whispers*: "And they have tanks too."

Edited by Brille