Been 10yrs, need a quick recap

@IanL

As I can remember Steve said CM was made on mac. ;)

I use mac mainly for music production ( no graphic glitches there ) and the only game I play is CM, so I'm not really a reference.

I can live without shaders, but it would be cool if they work as intended.

Edited by Ales Dvorak

Apple is eventually eliminating support for OpenGL. My guess would be there is no further work going on at Apple to do anything to better accommodate OpenGL graphics, so what's there is all there will be. I will say my new-ish M2 MacBook Pro with all its graphics processors does pretty well. The difference to my old one (2018 i5) is staggering. The map is rendered much farther out and camera movement is nice and smooth. Even the initial setup of "The Citadel" in CW is useable (couldn't move the camera before with the old MacBook Pro.

Dave

3 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Well, it seems that Apple's deprecated OpenGL is a billion times better than AMD's ongoing one :)

I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

This is true. I'm sure that OpenGL will still work until who knows when, just that don't expect any improvement in *how well* it works 🙂 

Dave

On 11/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, Vacillator said:

Having a bad day Ian 😉?

LOL you know what yeah I was. It has been a **** month. Wife was sick, I got COVID and gave it to her right after she recovered from whatever she had. We are good now but still tire easily.

The above issue is a peeve of mine but yeah I probably should have just ignored it all like is usually do.

Or not! Sometimes I just need to say it out loud. 🙂

On 11/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, Ales Dvorak said:

Thanks for info Ultradave. I'm on M1, graphic is cool, except shaders, but I believe M2 is much better in performance. Are shaders on M2 ok?

Not perfect, but in comparison to my 5+ year old i5 MacBook Pro, they are fine, and the performance is stellar on everything. 12 CPUs, 19 graphics cores - it does really well on anything. Since I got $500 for trading in my old one, I spent that on more cores and a larger drive and the 14" model, rather than 13", figuring I want it to not be outdated for at least 5-6 years. 

Dave

54 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Not perfect, but in comparison to my 5+ year old i5 MacBook Pro, they are fine, and the performance is stellar on everything. 12 CPUs, 19 graphics cores - it does really well on anything. Since I got $500 for trading in my old one, I spent that on more cores and a larger drive and the 14" model, rather than 13", figuring I want it to not be outdated for at least 5-6 years. 

Dave

Good to hear. Thx.