CM:BN and new MacOS version(s)

geobf

While I haven't played it much, I do think CM:BN works under MacOS 13 (Ventura).  Thinking about upgrading to MacOS 14 (Sonoma) - not seeing anything in the forum on if CM:BN works or not with the new OS - any one out there with any experience either way?  Thanks!

On 11/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, geobf said:

While I haven't played it much, I do think CM:BN works under MacOS 13 (Ventura).  Thinking about upgrading to MacOS 14 (Sonoma) - not seeing anything in the forum on if CM:BN works or not with the new OS - any one out there with any experience either way?  Thanks!

I have an M2 MacBook Pro with Sonoma (Mac OS 14.1), and all the CM titles work just fine on it. No problems at all.

Dave

On 11/7/2023 at 1:53 AM, Ultradave said:

I have an M2 MacBook Pro with Sonoma (Mac OS 14.1), and all the CM titles work just fine on it. No problems at all.

Dave

Interesting.  I've been a Mac user for years now and I am just about to change a 10 year old MBP.  For the better gaming performance I was considering a Lenovo Legion but, given CM are the only games I'll likely play, I wonder if the better gaming experience is worth the cost of the worse OS experience (or at the very least, different, requiring me to learn it again).  If CM runs OK on the M2 I might consider an Air or a Pro again after all.  It's too easy to talk myself into "think of all the other games you can play" only to never do it and then think "why did I buy this?".

2 hours ago, AlexUK said:

One thing others thinking about getting a Mac  should be aware of, is that you can’t participate in the tournaments/use the improved PBEM. 

Very true. That will never happen. Not really my thing though, and there are a number of other reasons I've always been a Mac user. You *can* install Parallels Desktop and install CM games in Windows and participate in tournaments that way. I find the experience to be very unsatisfying though. The graphics don't translate over well to Parallels. EVERY other game I have in Windows on Parallels works great - just like you were sitting at a W11 machine, but not CM. Maybe someday.

For @Apache, my new M2 MacBook Pro is amazing. I bought it to replace a 6 year old i5 MBP with screen issues from my dog knocking off my lap and onto the floor several times. Still got $400 trade in for it. 

Flawless transfer of everything from old to new. The M2 is a screamer. Is it expensive - yes, it was pricey, even with the $400, but you have to consider it is a very high end laptop and will last for many years without being outdated.

Dave

When I use CMx2 in Parallels in Windows under MacOS I find it is satisfactory for answering PBEM++ moves. For all other uses including regular PBEM you can run natively of course.

But I don't use an Apple Silicon CPU for Parallels, I have it on a 2019 i9 with 5500 AMD mobility graphic chip (which works flawlessly using the Apple driver, unlike the Windows driver). You can pick up these machines cheap if you want macOS and CMx2.

I think the difference probably is that Apple is eventually deprecating OpenGL, so I would guess there is little being done to optimize its performance. That means that the 19 graphics cores in my M2 (or 100!!) don't do much good. It's only very marginally better than my previous i5 based MBP. The separate GPU would handle the OpenGL better.

Dave

Thanks again for all the replies.  I've been a Mac person since 1986 and played CMx1 back when - not often and not enough.  My M1 MBP wasn't bought to play games - the only ones I have are Diablo III and CM:BN which I need to really relearn to play.  Glad to know I won't blow CM up with an OS upgrade.

14 hours ago, Ultradave said:

For @Apache, my new M2 MacBook Pro is amazing. I bought it to replace a 6 year old i5 MBP with screen issues from my dog knocking off my lap and onto the floor several times. Still got $400 trade in for it. 

Flawless transfer of everything from old to new. The M2 is a screamer. Is it expensive - yes, it was pricey, even with the $400, but you have to consider it is a very high end laptop and will last for many years without being outdated.

Dave

Thanks, good to hear.  I really fancy an Air, just because of the weight etc, but the 14" Pro is an option and that of course would be M3 vs the M2 on the Air.  Cost isn't an issue as I find these things last me 8-10 years.  I do hate big screen laptops though, I've had 17" in the past and it'e like sitting with a TV on my lap, just can't stand anything over 15" and that's maximum.  CM is the only game family I will ever play on them and I do no video editing or anything like that so I'm not considering the M3 Pro or Max.  The only thing that bothers me is whether the Air, having no fan, will throttle with bigger games / maps but I don't think CM is that intensive.  I also have a REALLY old Mac Mini (basically a movies server) that I might upgrade to a new M2, using that with an Apple keyboard and mouse I could even play on the 65" TV the Mini is connected to.  Having the option of the Mini or the Air might make the Air the better choice, use the extra cost that would be needed for the 14" MBP for the Mini.

8 hours ago, Apache said:

Thanks, good to hear.  I really fancy an Air, just because of the weight etc, but the 14" Pro is an option and that of course would be M3 vs the M2 on the Air.  Cost isn't an issue as I find these things last me 8-10 years.  I do hate big screen laptops though, I've had 17" in the past and it'e like sitting with a TV on my lap, just can't stand anything over 15" and that's maximum.  CM is the only game family I will ever play on them and I do no video editing or anything like that so I'm not considering the M3 Pro or Max.  The only thing that bothers me is whether the Air, having no fan, will throttle with bigger games / maps but I don't think CM is that intensive.  I also have a REALLY old Mac Mini (basically a movies server) that I might upgrade to a new M2, using that with an Apple keyboard and mouse I could even play on the 65" TV the Mini is connected to.  Having the option of the Mini or the Air might make the Air the better choice, use the extra cost that would be needed for the 14" MBP for the Mini.

CM only uses one CPU core, so the Air should be fine without thermal throttling.