Tips for a PBEM as the Germans in "Studienka"?

Simcoe

I'm getting a new PBEM started and I've been obsessing over how to defend as the Germans for long enough to get my reinforcements.

I think the big tactical problem here is the lack of anti armor early on. You have few units that can stop a T-34 and they are short range hand held launchers or slow, clumsy SPW with mounted cannons. The scout tanks can maybe take out the optics after a few bursts. You have towed AT but do you put them forward where they get hit by indirect or bypassed or do you keep them back and leave your infantry to fend for themselves?

Finally, the amount of artillery available to the Russians means that the obvious ambush spots are equally obvious targets for indirect.

The Russians on the other hand have a dilemma of speed vs safety. They could slowly march forward with infantry on foot, calling targets for the tanks but that would give time for the German reinforcements. They could charge forward with infantry mounted but even a singe MG42 can make life Hell for any tank riders.

I'm definitely not looking for a "put pixeltrupen here" answer but does anyone else have any experience with this map in a PBEM setting? Any insights after finishing that you didn't see at the beginning?

Also, I just think this is a fun map with a lot of interesting tactical choices and it would be fun to discuss.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Just remember to un-hide them at the appropriate moments - remember our PBEM where your T34s rolled right past my hidden PF teams and even a Panzer IV or two if I recall correctly 😉?  That didn't end well...

Lol yeah I remember. I am pretty sure if you set them with a target arc they will fire, or at least be inclined to. Just had it happen a turn ago in a game I'm playing

I have only played this scenario in a PBEM game as Soviets, so my suggestion here is more from Soviet POV. 

Keep in mind this is a very large size map, but due to the difficulty of the terrain, Soviets has limit road to approach the objectives. And yes, German has limit AT power at the beginning. So their main task is to identify the SOV's main thrust. Then use mortar and HMG to area fire the fording points, separate the Tank riders with the tanks. In that case when the German main body show up they can easily control the village, change the close quarter tank battles in the village into a long range duel.  If you need to use the scout to ambush the tanks, don't put them in the house, instead put them behind the house. And if the PzII Luchs are taking the Soviets headon then you are using them incorrectly. Hide them in the woods, later they can charge out of the woods bring havoc to the soviets trucks.

One more thing, the Soviets' 82mm mortar has a range limit on this map. 

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

4 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

I have only played this scenario in a PBEM game as Soviets, so my suggestion here is more from Soviet POV. 

Keep in mind this is a very large size map, but due to the difficulty of the terrain, Soviets has limit road to approach the objectives. And yes, German has limit AT power at the beginning. So their main task is to identify the SOV's main thrust. Then use mortar and HMG to area fire the fording points, separate the Tank riders with the tanks. In that case when the German main body show up they can easily control the village, change the close quarter tank battles in the village into a long range duel.  If you need to use the scout to ambush the tanks, don't put them in the house, instead put them behind the house. And if the PzII Luchs are taking the Soviets headon then you are using them incorrectly. Hide them in the woods, later they can charge out of the woods bring havoc to the soviets trucks.

One more thing, the Soviets' 82mm mortar has a range limit on this map. 

Thanks! Great tips.

• 1 month later...

I am cleaning my hard drive to free up space, and find the turn that this good wee Stummel was in action.

I captured the village and began the river crossing immediately. The Stummel hiding on the high ground made me pay dearly for my impetuousness.

One T-34/85 and two squads of tank riders destroyed.  One damaged T34 is abandoned. 

He killed another T-34/85 (with damaged weapon control) in a close range gun fight a couple turns later.