Master Map Making - What about "Flavor Objects"? Advice needed.

PEB14

Hello,

I'm working presently on a Master Map that I intend to cut into various (4, according to my present-state plans) submaps for different scenarios belonging to a campaign. Hence I'm willing to get as much as coherence as possible between the various submaps (that's what Master Maps are for, aren't they?).

Nevertheless, @WimO has warned us that cutting a map throws flavour objects (FO) randomly anywhere, apparently those FO that belonged to the cut out areas. I'm also wondering whether the FO from the non cut-out area are displaced or not?

So what is the optimal way to build a Master Map with the intent to subdivide it? Place FO after cutting out, at the cost of not being able to be coherent from one submap to the next (and to do the same jobs several times), or to place the FO beforehand, at the cost of having to chase the displaced ones all around the map (and with the guaranteed penalty to forget some of them in most inappropriate positions…)?

Experiences mapbuilders' advices most welcome here…

Edited by PEB14

• PEB14 changed the title to Master Map Making - What about "Flavor Objects"? Advice needed.
1 hour ago, CarlXII said:

This has been a problem in the past but atleast for me...I have not seen this problem with my recent map designs...

I can cut and add to the maps as desired without the flavoured objects getting displaced.

I just make a quick test with CMBN (latest patch) and it appears that I don't see any problem either! Thank you!

@PEB14 Bonjour Piere: I run into this problem all the time ... but ... I also always use the expanded and modded flavour options provided by modders years past. The problem might be an issue confined only to the expanded flavour objects ... I don't really know. I have found no easy solutions.  My own way of managing it is to create a large master fully populated with flavour objects. When I want to cut it down I first change all of the ground tiles that I am going to cut off to "sand". Then I remove all roads, hedges, buildings etc from those sand tiles. Then I go into 3D map view so I can see the flavour objects on the sand tiles and remove them. Once that's done I return to 2D and cut off the sand tiles.  It's labor intensive but keeps things the same on all maps.

3 minutes ago, WimO said:

@PEB14 Bonjour Piere: I run into this problem all the time ... but ... I also always use the expanded and modded flavour options provided by modders years past. The problem might be an issue confined only to the expanded flavour objects ... I don't really know. I have found no easy solutions.  My own way of managing it is to create a large master fully populated with flavour objects. When I want to cut it down I first change all of the ground tiles that I am going to cut off to "sand". Then I remove all roads, hedges, buildings etc from those sand tiles. Then I go into 3D map view so I can see the flavour objects on the sand tiles and remove them. Once that's done I return to 2D and cut off the sand tiles.  It's labor intensive but keeps things the same on all maps.

Wow, yeah thats a ton of effort for something so simple. 

15 minutes ago, WimO said:

Hi @WimO, interestingly, I am working on your Hill 30 Master Map, expanding West and North. So I should face the same problem than you did, shouldn't I?

I just cut outr two third of the maps (your side, with tons of FO), saved, quit and reloaded, but nothing appeared on the — mostly empty — remaining third of the map. Strange… Pleasant, but strange…

I'm wondering wether you didn't upgrade your engine quite lately, which might explain the issue?

Adding Flavor Objects to the giant maps should be fine. I did it for CMBN:MG maps, CMFI maps, and RT maps, and I and others cut them down from there for scenarios and QB maps.

The issue with them shifting around only happens if you resize a second time. So, measure twice, cut once and you should be fine. Unless I'm hallucinating from making more of 'em.

I am currently working with the most recent engine update. Old maps and scenarios load and function satisfactorily.  If I make updates then the maps will be usable only with the current engine.

I hypothesize that flavour objects are located relative to s single fixed map square. For example a0:a0, upper left corner. If that is correct and you grow the map to the right and down, then objects should not move, but if you grow the map up and left then they shift. This is just an example from my hypothesis.  What is obvious is that if you remove a square that has a flavour object, the object itself is not removed from the programj's list of objects and it wants to put it somewhere.

I did some quick testing....Increasing and decreasing the mapsize multiple times...different map sides...

The flavoured objects remaine perfectly stable where they where originaly placed...No wierdness at all. Flavoured objects from the removed mapsections are gone...

This problem seems to be fixed imo...

I'm using the all in one mod pack for CMBN.

• 1 month later...