Weird scenario thing - help?

Tripp

So I'm making this mission that sort of simulates the night drop of 101st Airborne troopers into Normandy in advance of the beach landings. I have a nice set up of area around Ste. Marie-du-Mont, and the idea is to simulate for the player the experience of the troopers dropping in the dark, trying to get oriented and link up with comrades.

Fine. But then there are the Germans: I put them in logical (it not yet historical) places, but they won't stay still! They keep wandering around the map doing god knows what.

I've tried having no Victory Flags; I've tried having flags at each post. I've tried making map edges friendly to given sides; I've tried making map edges all nuetral.

What the heck? I feel like I am forgetting something. Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Wicky:

Have you tried locking and hiding them them on setup?

I have tried Padlocking them, and tried hiding them. (And I am not using any Victory Flags at this point.) Only hiding seems to help, and even that doesn't keep them all in place.

Is there no other way to get them to stay in place, other than hiding?

[ February 24, 2007, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Tripp ]

• 2 weeks later...

That makes sense, Walker, but it's too limiting: I don't want a single player to have to play in hotseat mode and see some of the board from the other side's perspective. Thanks for the thought, though.

Anyone else have a clue about why the Germans wander from their foxholes, etc.?

Kingfish: I'm happy to send anyone this scenario; I sent you the scenario and accompanying files (intel briefing, images, etc.) so you can get the big picture.

As for engagement type (meeting, Allied Attack, Axis Attack), I've tried both meeting and Allied attack...neither seems to make much difference.

And Sergei is correct, I am using "Stick to Scenario Default" for enemy set up. But as I wrote above, I've tried using no flags, some flags and lots of flags (ie, one for each 'station'), but nothing seems to help.

When I turn off Fog of War, I can watch the Germans wander. They seem to move more or less toward the center of the map, leaving foxholes, buildings, etc. I've tried messing with unit experience levels, leadership, etc. This wandering happens to both infantry (quickly) and armor (later in game, for some reason), but it didn't seem to be true for trucks and kubelwagons.

The scenario is the first part of my series of 101st Airborne landing in Normandy for the week-long class I described in another post. This one simulates the night drop into the fields and the attempt to link up with "the stick" and move to an objective. (It's really a training too, made to be easy.)

So I think the wandering toward the center of the board is meaningful...anyone else?

[ February 26, 2007, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Tripp ]