PEB weird stuff thread

During my last mission I was playing the British side. One of my 6-pdr AT gun is out of HE shells when he sees a lone German infantryman in the open. No hesitation, he loads an AP, shoots and kills the German soldier!!! 😯

I really wondered wether it was coicidence, or wether the AT gunner shot at somebody else… But nobody else had any LOS to the lone German and the AT gunner only had LOS to him…

57 mm AP sniping! Have you ever seen it?🥴

The same mission is a night scenario, clear weather. Visibility is around 300 meters. Everything is going on smoothly, when all of a sudden I have 4 or 5 vehicles sound contacts heading towards my defensive lines. They enter my lines (always as sound contact), wander around (with nobody having any LOS) for about 5 minutes and then I manage to get some LOS. Only some.

night_10.png

night_11.png

The StuG is less than 10 meters away from them. They have a sound contact. The building wall is destroyed. They're looking in the right direction. But they don't see it. God by some glasses guys!!!!! 😡

The story ended with the broken PIAT-man seeing the StuG and destroying it. But for half a minute they just sat like this…👓

night_12.png

Do you know the story of the guy ho couldn't see the elephant in.the middle of the corridor? You've got the WW2 version here. A tiny Jagdpanther fails to see a small Churchill VII in the middle of the road. And vice versa. The won't see each others for MINUTES.🐘

night_13.png

"Do you hear that sound contact just behind us?"🤨

night_14.png

"A what??? Talk louder, I think I'm getting deaf!"🧏‍♂️

night_15.png

Woops… No listener anymore…☠️

All along the scenario, Germans and British shot at each other at 100-300 meters. And all od a sudden, they cannot see each other 20 meters, 10 meters, even 1 meter away??? THAT is weird. Also, no infantry of either side managed to sneak as closely to the enemy. Only tanks (you know, those tiny, silent steel beasts 😎…).

43 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

All along the scenario, Germans and British shot at each other at 100-300 meters. And all od a sudden, they cannot see each other 20 meters, 10 meters, even 1 meter away??? THAT is weird. Also, no infantry of either side managed to sneak as closely to the enemy. Only tanks (you know, those tiny, silent steel beasts 😎…).

Are you a city child? :D

Have you ever been in the countryside at night without any light source around? 

Yes your eyes can adapt to a certain degree but if it is even overcast (no moon or starlight) you really don't see **** even if it is a big tank. 

It is another story if something is actually shooting in the night. 

Then often all hell breaks loose and you can see units much farther away, at least for a certain time. 

Back in my conscription time in the German military we even performed much better than in daytime (no night vision), just because of the simulated muzzle flashes of the targets. :D

To the topic:

I had one instance in CMRT where 2 guys of a squad dropped dead but were still far away from the front and even in a small dent in the landscape. 

So they could not be targeted directly. I checked for falling artillery shells around because I assumed it was some shrapnel that got them but nada. 

It turned out that one MG42 fired at another squad of mine at the Frontline. Some of those shots however went to high out, traveled for slightly under a kilometer and plunged into the small valley where these 2 guys intercepted the rounds eventually. 

3 hours ago, Brille said:

Are you a city child? :D

Jawhol, Herr Major !😇

Have you ever been in the countryside at night without any light source around? 

Yes your eyes can adapt to a certain degree but if it is even overcast (no moon or starlight) you really don't see **** even if it is a big tank.

In this particular scenario weather is clear (not overcast). While I agree with you, what is really WEIRD is, in the scenario, no infantrymen were able to sneak inside my lines, while tons of vehicles did. I mean, the steel monsters with noisy tracks are able to move unseen 3 meters away from the enemy, while the poor troopers are shot dead by AP rounds of AT gunners shooting from a distance of 100 meters? Come on! 🤨

This is fun, but a little bit too much…🐘👓

I had one instance in CMRT where 2 guys of a squad dropped dead but were still far away from the front and even in a small dent in the landscape. 

So they could not be targeted directly. I checked for falling artillery shells around because I assumed it was some shrapnel that got them but nada. 

It turned out that one MG42 fired at another squad of mine at the Frontline. Some of those shots however went to high out, traveled for slightly under a kilometer and plunged into the small valley where these 2 guys intercepted the rounds eventually. 

Pretty frustrating… and realistic indeed!

But honestly, hitting a guy 100-150 meters away with an AP round in the night… THAT's a feat !🥳

16 hours ago, PEB14 said:

In this particular scenario weather is clear (not overcast). While I agree with you, what is really WEIRD is, in the scenario, no infantrymen were able to sneak inside my lines, while tons of vehicles did. I mean, the steel monsters with noisy tracks are able to move unseen 3 meters away from the enemy, while the poor troopers are shot dead by AP rounds of AT gunners shooting from a distance of 100 meters? Come on! 🤨

This is fun, but a little bit too much

And you are sure that the infantry hasn't been shooting before? In the night battles I did it was always difficult to see either vehicles or infantrymen. You'll hear them beforehand but then they suddenly pop up before your eyes. I even had one instance where one of my GI ended up in a HMG 42 position. The germans themselves must have thought that he is one of Skorzenys men as he casually walked so close by. It was fun to watch once they noticed their mistake. :D

But in this case it was overcast with a bit of fog, so visibility was probably at a minimum. 

But honestly, hitting a guy 100-150 meters away with an AP round in the night… THAT's a feat !

Especially for those instances I'm glad Combat Mission don't have any gore visible. :D

Had one in CMRT where my ATrifle went on a manhunt (maybe or maybe not ordered by me :) ). 

And while not as big of an impact as yours I guess it wasn't very pleasant for the counterpart to get riped by an 14,7mm projectile. :D

Edited by Brille

• 1 month later...

Another bizarre thing. I'm playtesting one of my creations in author mode. Suddenly… a hedge exploses with no one in the vicinity !!? See below:

before10.png

after10.png

As you can see on the clock, there are less than 15 seconds between the two pictures.

There is no squad with a demo charge nearby. No artillery nor tanks in this scenario. No mines either. So what ?!

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I can see an Allied unit in pic 2 - they aren't the ones responsible?

Well, they have no explosive (no bazooka, no demo charges) before and after the explosion! Plus, they're really too far to blow a hedge with a demo charge...

Looks like I've discovered a new German Wunderwaffe: the hochexplosive Hecke ! 🤣