Oddball question from a new player

I don't believe so.  Even if you could, I imagine the resulting battle would depend on each side having appropriate AI plans.

Do you have a reason for wanting to do this, like perhaps automatic testing of a scenario?

I'm curious, as someone who almost always plays PBEM against another human (as far as I can tell 😂).

I see you've been around here a lot longer than me, so you really should dip your toes.

I think you always have to control one of the sides, while the other is AI or a human.  Fighting against the AI varies - in well-designed scenarios where attention has been paid to AI plans, the AI can give you a good fight.  In Quick Battles which may not have such good AI plans (and also may be rather random in unit selection) you may not get a sensible or 'fulfilling' experience.  For example I once had a fight against 10 Sherman flail tanks advancing towards me with their turrets facing the rear.  I won rather quickly but it was not a great experience.

The demos are a good way to start though, have you tried the demo scenarios?

I tried the Fortress Italy demo several years ago and I ran away crying for my mom 😆. I wasn't expecting that much of a learning curve. I'm finally mustering up the caones to give it another go. I know I'm going to get my *** handed to me, but I struggle with patience, or a lack of it. 😉

Edited by zasgard

2 minutes ago, zasgard said:

I know I'm going to get my *** handed to me,

Well, I started with the RT demo - Monster Mash was the demo battle I tried first.  I had no clue and took a beating from the AI.  But what I saw made me realise what a game this is.

2 minutes ago, zasgard said:

So, I'm guessing this can't be done in a demo version?

Give it try, I'm not sure.  But unless I'm mistaken it's not quite what you asked about, I think it's you controlling both sides, not the AI controlling both sides.

5 minutes ago, zasgard said:

I think I'm going to download the Italy demo

Nothing to lose in trying the demo.  Except if 'the hook' gets you and you end up buying all the games.  But that's not a bad thing other than the hit on your wallet.

Don't think I tried the Italy demo as I was already hooked and just bought the game, but the CMBN and CMRT demos were great.

If you end up heading in the direction of playing H2H feel free to send me a PM.

1 hour ago, zasgard said:

I'm trying to dip my toes into this game (I have the Italy demo) and it struck me....could you AI both sides? Pick the forces and let the AI battle it out. 

I play Hotseat against myself to test the effects of supporting weapons. There is no difference between the TacAI the player is using and the computer's AI. I found out with my own eyes most of the time you let the TacAI do most of the heavy lifting. Exceptions for example the Javelin I will plot to use it to eliminate a Kornet ATGM as the TAcAI won't Imo do it automatically.

You could give VERY generic orders to one side (march across the map) and let the AI sort out the mess when it comes in contact with the enemy.

Alternately, you could play the defender in an assault scenario. Defender units tend to be fairly static (depending on the scenario designer) which mean you just sit there, let the enemy come on, and see how everything plays out.